Speakout coursebooks and lab

  • Nergiz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2011
      Hi all,

      Pearson Longman wants to sell their Speakout coursebook and MySpeakoutLab (a blended learning programme) to our institution. Does anyone have experience with the book?Apparently, the lab will be available soon.

      Best,

      Nergiz
    • Alicia Barbitta
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2011
        Hi Nergiz

        No idea here but I can tell you that for business English I a
        Only use Pearson's books. Very well developed. I am a big fun.
        Sorry I cannot help on that one specifically.

        Cheers!

        Enviado desde mi iPhone
        Prof.Alicia Barbitta

        El 03/06/2011, a las 06:01 a.m., "Nergiz" <k.ergiz@...>
        escribió:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Pearson Longman wants to sell their Speakout coursebook and
        > MySpeakoutLab (a blended learning programme) to our institution.
        > Does anyone have experience with the book?Apparently, the lab will
        > be available soon.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Nergiz

      • dk
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2011
          I also don't know it but I and my students love Pearson's "Top Notch" video
          series. Very funny "Friends" type videos at a low English level.

          There are three main problems with published course material:

          1. Boring

          2. Boring

          3. Boring

          It doesn't matter how much they use corpus, student centered
          task-based-learning blah blah blah. If the course is boring the students die
          every lesson.

          Why don't you ask them for a sample and write a review for us. If it is a
          good course then I want it for my school.

          Dave

        • Nergiz
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 14, 2011
            Thanks Alicia and Dave!

            Well, the SpeakOut series is very new so no wonder not many have experience with it yet. My first impression is that it is a carefully designed modern coursebook but not exceptional. The e-book is not outstanding but will allow our teachers and students to use multimedia in and outside of the classroom more easily if they wish to do so. Looking at the topics, there are no surprises but it is geared a bit more towards practical use of the language and fits quite well with our students' wants. The rest is up to the teachers and their classes. Taking all the factors in our institution into account, the series fits well with our general English courses so I've decided in favor of it. It might not in other context. I'll be able to say more at the end of the next semester :-)

            I don't want to start the coursebook debate again really. Enough has been said on different lists and blogs. I really don't get coursebook vs no coursebook or tech/no tech debates. I'm happy if I have access to various resources and can decide in each case which to use or not to use. I have "dogme" classes, classes in which we use technology and every possible variation in between. It's not the tools that make classes boring or interesting, it's the people in the room.

            Best,

            Nergiz