Knowledge transfer

  • Christopher Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2003
      Don and everyone,

      Knowledge exists in several forms, for example, community, explicit, and implicit. Community knowledge is the beehive theory: the sum is greater than the indivdual. Knowledge as something internally processed comes from cognitive theory. Vygotsky is the granddaddy of the theory leading up to CoPs - big influence from his viewpoint of social learning and knowledge processing. And absorbing and contributing to CoP culture is certainly part of this.

      Well, I wanted to unveil this in Week 4, but while we're on the subject, please check out the link (again)
      http://sites.inka.de/manzanita/cop

      At the bottom of the diagram is a link to a new mind map:
      Evolution of CoP theory -- pretty simplistic, but to illustrate how CoP theory evolved (and inspired by our own Dr. Cat and cathearder:-)

      CoPs concern themselves with all of these types of knowledge, but implicit knowledge transfer (via practice, use of tools/artifacts, and storytelling) is key.

      Chris

    • arif altun
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2003
        Chris,

        >CoPs concern themselves with all of these types of knowledge, but implicit
        >knowledge transfer (via practice, use of tools/artifacts, and
        >storytelling) is key.

        can we consider e-libraries as a CoP, or an evolving tiny CoPs then?

        arif

      • J. H. Steele
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
          Love the link. I think it is quite acurate in describing the development of
          CoPs from the original (face-to-face) variety into the online variety.

          Dr. Cat

          At 09:06 PM 1/31/2003 +0100, Christopher Johnson wrote:
          >Don and everyone,
          >
          >Knowledge exists in several forms, for example, community, explicit, and
          >implicit. Community knowledge is the beehive theory: the sum is greater
          >than the indivdual. Knowledge as something internally processed comes from
          >cognitive theory. Vygotsky is the g
          >randdaddy of the theory leading up to CoPs - big influence from his
          >viewpoint of social learning and knowledge processing. And absorbing and
          >contributing to CoP culture is certainly part of this.
          >
          >Well, I wanted to unveil this in Week 4, but while we're on the subject,
          >please check out the link (again)
          >http://sites.inka.de/manzanita/cop
          >
          >At the bottom of the diagram is a link to a new mind map:
          >Evolution of CoP theory -- pretty simplistic, but to illustrate how CoP
          >theory evolved (and inspired by our own Dr. Cat and cathearder:-)
          >
          >CoPs concern themselves with all of these types of knowledge, but implicit
          >knowledge transfer (via practice, use of tools/artifacts, and
          >storytelling) is key.
          >
          >Chris

          Prof. John H. Steele, Ph.D.
          Department of English