What to Do When Your TiVo Thinks You're Gay (Was: The Filter Bubble)

  • dk
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21 7:07 AM
      This was a funny and informative article in the Wall Street Journal on this
      subject. Excerpts:

      "Mr. Iwanyk, 32 years old, first suspected that his TiVo thought he was gay,
      since it inexplicably kept recording programs with gay themes. A film studio
      executive in Los Angeles and the self-described "straightest guy on earth,"
      he tried to tame TiVo's gay fixation by recording war movies and other "guy
      stuff." "The problem was, I overcompensated," he says. "It started giving me
      documentaries on Joseph Goebbels and Adolf Eichmann. It stopped thinking I
      was gay and decided I was a crazy guy reminiscing about the Third Reich.""

      "For a live demonstration before an audience of 500 people, Mr. Bezos once
      logged onto Amazon.com (amazon.com) to show how it caters to his interests.
      The top recommendation it gave him? The DVD for "Slave Girls From Beyond
      Infinity." That popped up because he had previously ordered "Barbarella,"
      starring Jane Fonda, a spokesman explains."

      "Virginia Heffernan, TV columnist for Slate.com, doesn't understand why some
      people are resistant to techno-profiling, or find it creepy. She didn't look
      for any deep meaning when her TiVo kept giving her TV shows in Polish. And
      after buying self-help books on Amazon.com, she accepted that every time she
      logged on, the site pitched products to make her a more self-fulfilled human
      being. "I like the idea that someone cares," she says. "Even a machine.""

      More:

      http://www.planetdan.net/blog/tivo.html