Sony, Apple, Rolls Royce and quality education

  • dk
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2011
      Further on the theme of that NY Times article, I would like to discuss
      quality education.

      It is too easy to complain that we don't appreciate teacher quality and we
      are not willing to pay for it. People do appreciate quality and are willing
      to pay for it. Here in China many parents dream of sending their kid to the
      USA because they perceive that as a quality education. (From recent reports
      from the USA, it seems that judgment is overvalued.)

      Why do people buy Sony products rather than Bubba Brothers products? They
      think the quality is worth the price.

      Why do people buy Apple over so many other products? They think the quality
      is worth the price.

      Why do you and I not drive Rolls Royces? When I lived in France, I had a
      friend who was trying to convince me to buy a Roll Royce. Why on Earth would
      I want to do that? I asked him. He said the level of quality was so high
      that I would save money in the long run. For some reason, I doubted that.

      In the real world, there are limits to the value we put on quality.

      Can you demonstrate the impact of your teaching? Can you show that your
      teaching is more effective than the other guy? Can you show that by using
      your WebHead technology that students can learn faster and better?

      If the teacher can demonstrate that his teaching is twice as good as the
      other guy and he can teach twice as many students in that way, fine, fire
      the other guy and give the money to the quality teacher.

      Whoever can do it and, most importantly, show it will get the money.

      Dave Kees
      GUANGZHOU, CHINA

      Email - DAVEKEES@...
      Chat - Skype:DAVEKEES
      Blog - http://davekees.wordpress.com/

      TEFL TEACHERS
      Insights, ideas, opinions, tips, debates from TEFL teachers around the
      world!
      Blog - http://teflteachers.wordpress.com/