Project 400

  • dk
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9, 2011
      After 11 years of teaching in China, I decided that I didn't know my
      students and my colleagues well enough. So I started Project 400. I am
      researching:

      100 classroom - What is going on in other English classrooms? How do
      teachers teach? How do the students like it? How do the students learn? What
      is different between the middle school English training and the college
      English training?

      100 former students who are working - What kind of jobs do they find? What
      kind of work do they do? What kind of English do they need to do this work?
      What kind of English did we teach them that they need a lot? What kind of
      English did we teach them that they do not need? What kind of English do
      they need that we did not teach them? How much of the English that they use
      is: Email? Face-to-face? Chat? Telephone?

      100 bosses and managers - What kind of English do my students need to get
      hired? What do the bosses of my students think about this? What do managers
      and HR managers think about the English needs in the workplace? How do
      American and Chinese companies use English? What form is the communication
      and who is communicating with whom? How do they learn very special English,
      English that is very special only to their company? How do they learn
      industry English when it may have not been taught in school? How important
      is the CET-4? How important is the CET-6? BEC? BULATS?

      100 students in their dorms - How do college students spend their time? How
      do they study? What is their homework load? What do they think about what
      they need to study? How much do they use the computer?

      I'm almost halfway through Project 400. It's very interesting and I'm
      learning a lot. I am finding that many assumptions that I've had about
      students and teachers and teaching are not true. I've finding some aspects
      of teaching and learning that I need to consider more. I'd be interested in
      hearing what similar studies other teachers have done.

      Dave Kees

      Email - DAVEKEES@...
      Chat - Skype:DAVEKEES
      Blog - http://davekees.wordpress.com/

      TEFL TEACHERS
      Insights, ideas, opinions, tips, debates from TEFL teachers around the
      world!
      Blog - http://teflteachers.wordpress.com/
    • Evelyn Izquierdo
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9, 2011
        Hi dear Webheads!

        Do you know of any free, online, interactive map creator which allows me to show just one country and ask people to add pins and names? I would also like to embed it in a website. I've used Bravenet Guest Map but it doesn't seem to do what I want. I don't know if I am asking too much, he he; but I need it.

        Any help will be appreciated.

        Hugs from sunny Caracas.
        Eve
      • John Hibbs
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9, 2011
          David, I sincerely commend you for this effort. I am tempted to
          believe--- and perhaps because I don't teach in classes like this? -
          that it is a terrible mistake to not try to put some metrics behind
          your work. Congratulations!

          At minimum, this kind of thinking - and re-thinking -- provokes those
          of your cast of mind to "self-examine practices and outcomes.

          There is no silver bullet. But that doesn't mean that the collective
          gathering of information that you seek shouldn't be done. Regularly.

          My two cents.
          John Hibbs
          www.bfranklin.edu/johnhibbs
          At 11:51 PM +0800 4/9/11, dk wrote:
          >After 11 years of teaching in China, I decided that I didn't know my
          >students and my colleagues well enough. So I started Project 400. I am
          >researching:
          >
          >100 classroom - What is going on in other English classrooms? How do
          >teachers teach? How do the students like it? How do the students learn? What
          >is different between the middle school English training and the college
          >English training?
          >
          >100 former students who are working - What kind of jobs do they find? What
          >kind of work do they do? What kind of English do they need to do this work?
          >What kind of English did we teach them that they need a lot? What kind of
          >English did we teach them that they do not need? What kind of English do
          >they need that we did not teach them? How much of the English that they use
          >is: Email? Face-to-face? Chat? Telephone?
          >
          >100 bosses and managers - What kind of English do my students need to get
          >hired? What do the bosses of my students think about this? What do managers
          >and HR managers think about the English needs in the workplace? How do
          >American and Chinese companies use English? What form is the communication
          >and who is communicating with whom? How do they learn very special English,
          >English that is very special only to their company? How do they learn
          >industry English when it may have not been taught in school? How important
          >is the CET-4? How important is the CET-6? BEC? BULATS?
          >
          >100 students in their dorms - How do college students spend their time? How
          >do they study? What is their homework load? What do they think about what
          >they need to study? How much do they use the computer?
          >
          >I'm almost halfway through Project 400. It's very interesting and I'm
          >learning a lot. I am finding that many assumptions that I've had about
          >students and teachers and teaching are not true. I've finding some aspects
          >of teaching and learning that I need to consider more. I'd be interested in
          >hearing what similar studies other teachers have done.
          >
          >Dave Kees
          >
          >Email - DAVEKEES@...
          >Chat - Skype:DAVEKEES
          >Blog - http://davekees.wordpress.com/
          >
          >TEFL TEACHERS
          >Insights, ideas, opinions, tips, debates from TEFL teachers around the
          >world!
          >Blog - http://teflteachers.wordpress.com/

        • Ronaldo Lima, Jr.
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 10, 2011
            Hi Evelyn,

            Have you tried Scribble Maps (http://scribblemaps.com/)?
            It lets you scribble all over something similar to a google map and then you
            can save it there, export it as jpg and pdf, or embed it somewhere else.
            I hope it helps!

            Hugs from Brazil,

            Ronaldo

            On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Evelyn Izquierdo <izquierdo_evelyn@...
            > wrote:

            > Hi dear Webheads!
            >
            > Do you know of any free, online, interactive map creator which allows me to
            > show just one country and ask people to add pins and names? I would also
            > like to embed it in a website. I've used Bravenet Guest Map but it doesn't
            > seem to do what I want. I don't know if I am asking too much, he he; but I
            > need it.
            >
            > Any help will be appreciated.
            >
            > Hugs from sunny Caracas.
            > Eve

            WebRep
            Overall rating

          • Evelyn Izquierdo
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 10, 2011
              Hi Ronaldo!
              Thanks so much for your kind reply. Yes, I tried Scribble Maps. It's quite interesting. The thing is that I need visitors to add their own pins, as on Bravenet Guestmaps, but not in the worldmap, just my country map. I don't find the way to do it. =( Do you know how to?
              Evelyn
              ----------

              Evelyn Izquierdo
              Escuela de Educación
              Universidad Central de Venezuela
              http://evelynizquierdo.wordpress.com/
              http://beyondtheenglishclassroomwalls.blogspot.com/

              It lets you scribble all over something similar to a google map and then you
              can save it there, export it as jpg and pdf, or embed it somewhere else.
              I hope it helps!

              Hugs from Brazil,

              Ronaldo

              On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Evelyn Izquierdo <izquierdo_evelyn@...
              > wrote:

              > Hi dear Webheads!
              >
              > Do you know of any free, online, interactive map creator which allows me to
              > show just one country and ask people to add pins and names? I would also
              > like to embed it in a website. I've used Bravenet Guest Map but it doesn't
              > seem to do what I want. I don't know if I am asking too much, he he; but I
              > need it.
              >
              > Any help will be appreciated.
              >
              > Hugs from sunny Caracas.
              > Eve

              WebRep
              Overall rating

            • Ronaldo Lima, Jr.
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 10, 2011
                Hi Evelyn,

                Anyone can edit your scribble map (adding pins, for instance) as long as
                they have its id. When you save your map, you choose one id. Anyone with
                this id can go to scribblemaps.com and choose "load" from "menu" (top left)
                and then enter the map's id in order to edit it. I have just created one
                with the id "eve", with a zoom in Venezuela and testing pin on Caracas.
                Check if you can open/edit it.

                Best,

                Ronaldo

                On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Evelyn Izquierdo <
                izquierdo_evelyn@...> wrote:

                > Hi Ronaldo!
                > Thanks so much for your kind reply. Yes, I tried Scribble Maps. It's quite
                > interesting. The thing is that I need visitors to add their own pins, as on
                > Bravenet Guestmaps, but not in the worldmap, just my country map. I don't
                > find the way to do it. =( Do you know how to?
                > Evelyn
                > ----------
                >
                > Evelyn Izquierdo
                > Escuela de Educación
                > Universidad Central de Venezuela
                > http://evelynizquierdo.wordpress.com/
                > http://beyondtheenglishclassroomwalls.blogspot.com/
                >

                > --- El dom, 4/10/11, Ronaldo Lima, Jr. <ronaldo.limajr@...>
                > escribió:
                >
                > De: Ronaldo Lima, Jr. <ronaldo.limajr@...>
                > Asunto: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Looking for a map maker - Help needed
                > =p
                > A: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                > Fecha: domingo, 10 de abril de 2011, 01:27 pm
                >

                > Hi Evelyn,
                >
                > Have you tried Scribble Maps (http://scribblemaps.com/)?
                > It lets you scribble all over something similar to a google map and then
                > you
                > can save it there, export it as jpg and pdf, or embed it somewhere else.
                > I hope it helps!
                >
                > Hugs from Brazil,
                >
                > Ronaldo
                >
                > On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Evelyn Izquierdo <
                > izquierdo_evelyn@...
                > > wrote:
                >

                > > Hi dear Webheads!
                > >
                > > Do you know of any free, online, interactive map creator which allows me
                > > show just one country and ask people to add pins and names? I would also
                > > like to embed it in a website. I've used Bravenet Guest Map but it
                > doesn't
                > > seem to do what I want. I don't know if I am asking too much, he he; but
                > > need it.
                > >
                > > Any help will be appreciated.
                > >
                > > Hugs from sunny Caracas.
                > > Eve

                WebRep
                Overall rating

              • Evelyn Izquierdo
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 10, 2011
                  Great tips, Ronaldo. I'll try and let you know. Thank you!!!!!!!!

                  izquierdo_evelyn@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Ronaldo!
                  > Thanks so much for your kind reply. Yes, I tried Scribble Maps. It's quite
                  > interesting. The thing is that I need visitors to add their own pins, as on
                  > Bravenet Guestmaps, but not in the worldmap, just my country map. I don't
                  > find the way to do it. =( Do you know how to?
                  > Evelyn
                  > ----------
                  >
                  > Evelyn Izquierdo
                  > Escuela de Educación
                  > Universidad Central de Venezuela
                  > http://evelynizquierdo.wordpress.com/
                  > http://beyondtheenglishclassroomwalls.blogspot.com/
                  >

                  > --- El dom, 4/10/11, Ronaldo Lima, Jr. <ronaldo.limajr@...>
                  > escribió:
                  >
                  > De: Ronaldo Lima, Jr. <ronaldo.limajr@...>
                  > Asunto: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Looking for a map maker - Help needed
                  > =p
                  > A: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                  > Fecha: domingo, 10 de abril de 2011, 01:27 pm
                  >

                  > Hi Evelyn,
                  >
                  > Have you tried Scribble Maps (http://scribblemaps.com/)?
                  > It lets you scribble all over something similar to a google map and then
                  > you
                  > can save it there, export it as jpg and pdf, or embed it somewhere else.
                  > I hope it helps!
                  >
                  > Hugs from Brazil,
                  >
                  > Ronaldo
                  >
                  > On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Evelyn Izquierdo <
                  > izquierdo_evelyn@...
                  > > wrote:
                  >

                  > > Hi dear Webheads!
                  > >
                  > > Do you know of any free, online, interactive map creator which allows me
                  > > show just one country and ask people to add pins and names? I would also
                  > > like to embed it in a website. I've used Bravenet Guest Map but it
                  > doesn't
                  > > seem to do what I want. I don't know if I am asking too much, he he; but
                  > > need it.
                  > >
                  > > Any help will be appreciated.
                  > >
                  > > Hugs from sunny Caracas.
                  > > Eve

                  WebRep
                  Overall rating

                • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 11, 2011
                    Dave--
                    This sounds like such a great project. I lived and taught in China just for a year (back in 1980-81), and it was fascinating to hear stories from our teachers (some recycled Russian teachers) about their classroom procedures and to peruse their old textbooks. We were happy some 15 yrs later to hear from our students' students that our "new" methods were in use--and working!!

                    Especially of interest were how students studied in their dorms--memorizing lists of words, reading Chinese novels and comic books, and so. (We pointed out that reading in English might have some value.)

                    I hope you will report back on this very interesting research.

                    Cheers--
                    --Elizabeth HS

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 11, 2011
                      Hi Evelyn--