Volunteer native speakers are needed for a SL project

  • Sedat Akayoglu
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2011
      Greetings all,

      We are carrying out a task based project in Second Life and volunteer native
      speakers of English are needed within the scope of this study. If you are
      interested in taking part in this project, please let us know.

      By the way, sorry for cross-posting.

      Volunteer native speakers of English are needed for a project carried out at
      university level. The project entitled "Task-Based Foreign Language Learning
      in Second Life METU Campus" is a collaborative effort between three
      departments at Middle East Technical University - Computer Education and
      Instructional Technology, Foreign Language Education, and Department of
      Basic English. The purpose of this project is to explore the possibilities
      of teaching and learning English as a foreign language in 3D virtual worlds.

      For the project, preparatory school area in METU Campus in Second Life (
      <http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/METU/130/128/27>
      http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/METU/130/128/27) has been designed for
      different English speaking practice tasks/activities. Throughout the tasks
      in the project, participants will take part in role-playing activities and
      practice speaking English with native speakers and other participants. There
      will be 8 sessions and the project will be completed in about 4 week in May
      2011. The volunteer native speakers will help our students in the role play
      activities. For example, students will apply for a company and the NSs will
      be the representatives of the companies in this task; or, the students will
      reserve a room at a hotel and the NSs will be the hotel receptionists. You
      will be given some topic initiator questions for each activity; and thus,
      you do not need to spend extra time for the preparation of the activity. If
      you would like participate into this project voluntarily, you should follow
      the link ( <http://tinyurl.com/3vfucxy> http://tinyurl.com/3vfucxy) and
      write your real name and SL name into the boxes which are possible for you
      to participate. Mainly, we ask for your participation to guide our students
      through the dialogues in the tasks. Slurl address of the METU SL campus will
      be provided to volunteers.

      If you interested in participating as a facilitator in this study, please
      contact us:

      Assist. Prof. Dr. Tugba Bulu, METU

      E-mail: <mailto:stugba@...> stugba@...

      Res. Assist. Sedat Akayo�lu, METU