Podcast Help

  • merve elbirlik
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 29, 2011
      Hi,

      I'm planning to pilot using podcasts in my classes and I need your suggestions. Thanks a lot.

      Merve from Turkey

    • Nina Liakos
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 29, 2011
        Hello Merve,
        What kind of podcasts? Professional podcasts, for listening practice? Or are you planning to create podcasts for your students? Or have your students create their own podcasts? All of these can be done, with varying levels or expertise and effort.
        Nina

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, merve elbirlik <melbirlik@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm planning to pilot using podcasts in my classes and I need your suggestions. Thanks a lot.
        >
        > Merve from Turkey

      • dk
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 29, 2011
          Currently there are some ideas amongst teachers about "flipping the
          classroom". The idea is for students to have lessons at home and do homework
          in class.

          This idea is being attached to Kahn Academy [1]. Salman Kahn has produced a
          couple thousand videoed math lessons which are freely available and have
          been downloaded about a million times. Since Kahn has done such a good job
          of explaining mathematical concepts in a concise and clear way, teachers are
          letting Kahn teach their students. The students watch the videos at home and
          then when they come to class they will practice the mathematical concepts
          with the teacher there to help the ones who need help.

          I am currently experimenting with flipping the classroom with my college
          students. I am using material from ESL Pod [2]. Each lesson consists of the
          transcript of a short dialog and a 15-minute long MP3. The MP3 begins with
          the dialog spoken slowly, then an in depth explanation of the new vocabulary
          followed by the dialog again at normal speed. I would like to talk more
          about the merits of ESL Pod in another message but right now let's focus on
          flipping the classroom.

          Each Thursday I assign four of these ESL Pod lessons on a business English
          theme and recommend that the students do one a day. On the following
          Tuesday, I will give them a very short quiz on one of the lessons. The
          purpose of this quiz is just to put a little pressure on the students to
          make sure that they do the assignment or to find out who didn't do it.

          Then in the classroom, we will do some games or activities based around the
          theme of the assignments.

          I am currently engaged in a project to visit 100 classrooms to see how
          teachers teach and how students learn. I am seeing a lot of teaching going
          on that is identical to the type of teaching that ESL Pod or other resources
          do. I think that we as teachers should embrace these resources and use them
          to their full potential but then in our classrooms we should focus on
          teaching that can only be done in person, that is, things like massive role
          plays and games and highly personal interaction activities.

          Dave Kees
          China

          [1] http://goo.gl/iEnM7
          [2] www.eslpod.com
        • John Hibbs
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 29, 2011
            Dave: I don't have a classroom (and not much to say) but I was
            really, really, really impressed with the Khan video. The fact that
            something north of one million kids have downloaded his videos should
            be sufficient evidence for others to do the same.

            My hat's off to you. Sounds like a lot of work. But how much more fun
            it would be to be a kid in class where the teacher helped you with
            your homework -- and did not just "stand and deliver"...boring stuff
            unless one does it at his or her time and place.

            P.S. Not snipping because of those blind copied who may not have have
            watched Kahn.
            http://www.khanacademy.org/

            At 5:56 AM +0800 3/30/11, dk wrote:
            >Currently there are some ideas amongst teachers about "flipping the
            >classroom". The idea is for students to have lessons at home and do homework
            >in class.
            >
            >This idea is being attached to Kahn Academy [1]. Salman Kahn has produced a
            >couple thousand videoed math lessons which are freely available and have
            >been downloaded about a million times. Since Kahn has done such a good job
            >of explaining mathematical concepts in a concise and clear way, teachers are
            >letting Kahn teach their students. The students watch the videos at home and
            >then when they come to class they will practice the mathematical concepts
            >with the teacher there to help the ones who need help.
            >
            >I am currently experimenting with flipping the classroom with my college
            >students. I am using material from ESL Pod [2]. Each lesson consists of the
            >transcript of a short dialog and a 15-minute long MP3. The MP3 begins with
            >the dialog spoken slowly, then an in depth explanation of the new vocabulary
            >followed by the dialog again at normal speed. I would like to talk more
            >about the merits of ESL Pod in another message but right now let's focus on
            >flipping the classroom.
            >
            >Each Thursday I assign four of these ESL Pod lessons on a business English
            >theme and recommend that the students do one a day. On the following
            >Tuesday, I will give them a very short quiz on one of the lessons. The
            >purpose of this quiz is just to put a little pressure on the students to
            >make sure that they do the assignment or to find out who didn't do it.
            >
            >Then in the classroom, we will do some games or activities based around the
            >theme of the assignments.
            >
            >I am currently engaged in a project to visit 100 classrooms to see how
            >teachers teach and how students learn. I am seeing a lot of teaching going
            >on that is identical to the type of teaching that ESL Pod or other resources
            >do. I think that we as teachers should embrace these resources and use them
            >to their full potential but then in our classrooms we should focus on
            >teaching that can only be done in person, that is, things like massive role
            >plays and games and highly personal interaction activities.
            >
            >Dave Kees
            >China
            >
            >[1] http://goo.gl/iEnM7
            >[2] www.eslpod.com

          • Evelyn Izquierdo
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 29, 2011
              Hi Merve!
              Visit this blog and explore its links, you might find interesting ideas there: http://podcastingevo2011.blogspot.com/
              Best wishes,

              Evelyn Izquierdo
              Escuela de Educación
              Universidad Central de Venezuela
              http://evelynizquierdo.wordpress.com/%c2%a0

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, merve elbirlik <melbirlik@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I'm planning to pilot using podcasts in my classes and I need your suggestions. Thanks a lot.
              >
              > Merve from Turkey

            • Barbara Dieu
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 29, 2011
                Maria Fernanda Rodrigues did a nice podcasting project with her learners
                about 5 years ago. My students participated by commenting on the different
                pods and thought it was very cool :-)
                Check it out at
                http://mfr.podomatic.com/

                Warm regards from Brazil,
                B.

                --
                Barbara Dieu
                http://barbaradieu.com

              • merve elbirlik
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 30, 2011
                  Thanks a lot Barbara:)

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 30, 2011
                    Thanks Evelyn for your help

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 31, 2011
                      Hey Dave,

                      Why don't you come online one Sunday at 1300 GMT and tell us more about some
                      of these ideas. The sessions are in Elluminate http://tinyurl.com/y3eh and
                      they are part of the weekly http://learning2gether.pbworks.com project.

                      Anyone in webheads who wants to present at one of these meetings, the dates
                      ahead are pretty wide open.

                      If you want to present or host a discussion you can write this list or
                      directly to me, vancestev, at gmail.com and let me know what you want to
                      do. Then you could either join the wiki and write in yourself what you want
                      to do or tell me and I can post it for you.

                      I don't want to let just anyone into the wiki because I've had problems with
                      spammers on PBWorks which require me to go in and revert the wiki to a
                      previous state. That's simple to do but it's more keypresses in an already
                      busy day, so I prefer to let in only people whom I know are planning to
                      contribute constructively.

                      Thanks everyone for all your interesting suggestions and tips,

                      Vance

                      On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 1:56 AM, dk <davekees1@...> wrote:

                      > Currently there are some ideas amongst teachers about "flipping the
                      > classroom". The idea is for students to have lessons at home and do
                      > homework
                      > in class.
                      >
                      > This idea is being attached to Kahn Academy [1]. Salman Kahn has produced a
                      > couple thousand videoed math lessons which are freely available and have
                      > been downloaded about a million times. Since Kahn has done such a good job
                      > of explaining mathematical concepts in a concise and clear way, teachers
                      > are
                      > letting Kahn teach their students. The students watch the videos at home
                      > and
                      > then when they come to class they will practice the mathematical concepts
                      > with the teacher there to help the ones who need help.
                      >
                      > I am currently experimenting with flipping the classroom with my college
                      > students. I am using material from ESL Pod [2]. Each lesson consists of the
                      > transcript of a short dialog and a 15-minute long MP3. The MP3 begins with
                      > the dialog spoken slowly, then an in depth explanation of the new
                      > vocabulary
                      > followed by the dialog again at normal speed. I would like to talk more
                      > about the merits of ESL Pod in another message but right now let's focus on
                      > flipping the classroom.
                      >
                      > Each Thursday I assign four of these ESL Pod lessons on a business English
                      > theme and recommend that the students do one a day. On the following
                      > Tuesday, I will give them a very short quiz on one of the lessons. The
                      > purpose of this quiz is just to put a little pressure on the students to
                      > make sure that they do the assignment or to find out who didn't do it.
                      >
                      > Then in the classroom, we will do some games or activities based around the
                      > theme of the assignments.
                      >
                      > I am currently engaged in a project to visit 100 classrooms to see how
                      > teachers teach and how students learn. I am seeing a lot of teaching going
                      > on that is identical to the type of teaching that ESL Pod or other
                      > resources
                      > do. I think that we as teachers should embrace these resources and use them
                      > to their full potential but then in our classrooms we should focus on
                      > teaching that can only be done in person, that is, things like massive role
                      > plays and games and highly personal interaction activities.
                      >
                      > Dave Kees
                      > China
                      >
                      > [1] http://goo.gl/iEnM7
                      > [2] www.eslpod.com
                      >

                      > --
                      Vance Stevens
                      http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
                      http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

                    • Alicia
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 31, 2011
                        Dave, Vance,

                        Dave is one of those references who's always come up with different ideas and points of view that has enriched our teaching.

                        My vote to Vance for his suggestion about your presentation on this through Elluminate on the weekly projects.

                        Wait for the date to know!

                        Best
                        alicia

> [...]

                        > Tuesday, I will give them a very short quiz on one of the lessons. The
                        > purpose of this quiz is just to put a little pressure on the students to
                        > make sure that they do the assignment or to find out who didn't do it.
                        >
                        > Then in the classroom, we will do some games or activities based around the
                        > theme of the assignments.
                        >
                        > I am currently engaged in a project to visit 100 classrooms to see how
                        > teachers teach and how students learn. I am seeing a lot of teaching going
                        > on that is identical to the type of teaching that ESL Pod or other
                        > resources
                        > do. I think that we as teachers should embrace these resources and use them
                        > to their full potential but then in our classrooms we should focus on
                        > teaching that can only be done in person, that is, things like massive role
                        > plays and games and highly personal interaction activities.

                      • Vance
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 2, 2011
                          Speaking of http://learning2gether.pbworks.com ...

                          There is one as usual this Sunday. I wanted to announce it earlier but I put it off until I was in the car on my way to Oman yesterday. I have a dongle that should connect me wherever there is mobile phone coverage in the UAE. However it wouldn't work from the car. Not sure why. Anyway, hence this late announcement.

                          This week Jim Buckingham, our partner with TESOL Arabia EdTech SIG, has taken the initiative to host an event for us. It's a presentation that was made at the recent TESOL Arabia conference in Dubai, which we will discuss on Sunday April 3 from 1300 GMT in Elluminate http://tinyurl.com/y3eh.

                          We start out at around noon GMT at http://tappedin.org for text chat and move to the Elluminate room from there to get things started at 1300 GMT.

                          Here are the particulars of the presentation. We hope to see you there.

                          James Buckingham hosts the event 'Innovate Using Educational Technology and Your Beliefs - Nicholas Yates' on TESOL Arabia - Education Technology - Special Interest Group Ning, http://taedtech.ning.com

                          Join us online at 5pm (in UAE, 1300 GMT) when Nicholas Yates introduces us to the importance of "beliefs" and how they impact on our instructional design and use of technology in the classroom.

                          * PPT: http://www.slideshare.net/taedtech/tesol-arabia-nicholas-yates
                          * Jim Buckingham interviews Nicholas Yates: http://podcast22887.podomatic.com/entry/2011-03-30T03_33_28-07_00

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 3, 2011
                            This turned out to be a very stimulating and free ranging discussion, went on for 1:45 min. Tune it to part or all of it at
                            * http://tinyurl.com/2011apr03l2g-yates
                            * Full URL: https://sas.elluminate.com/p.jnlp?psid=2011-04-03.0610.M.7AE801FFB697DA460D4BF25AA8C21B.vcr&sid=75

                            Best,
                            Vance