Re: Moodle Help

  • R. Abdelnour
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 24, 2011
      Hi Patricia,

      The 4th Round Table Conference has on its program an online workshop on using Moodle on March 27. It might be useful. The link to the program is http://www.virtual-round-table.com/page/program-2

      Good luck.
      Rita

    • cioccas@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 24, 2011
        Hi Patricia

        I see you have already received a few replies re general Moodle set-up
        advice.

        If you are also looking for ideas for using Moodle for language teaching
        & learning, I can highly recommend:

        Moodle 1.9 for Second Language Teaching by Jeff Stanford:
        https://www.packtpub.com/moodle-1-9-for-second-language-teaching/book

        Here a couple of reviews which will give you more idea of how useful
        this book might be for you:

        * http://www.moodleblog.org/?p=141
        *
        http://civitaquana.blogspot.com/2009/12/book-reviewmoodle-19-for-second_\
        06.html
        Regards,
        Lesley

        <patricia.glogowski@...> wrote:

        > Dear All,
        >
        > One of our schools is planning to use Moodle to run their online
        courses.
        > They have a limited knowledge on how to use it or how to proceed with
        > setting up their courses. Could you please suggest any resources that
        might
        > help them understand how Moodle works & how to set up their courses?
        >
        > Thank you so much!
        >
        > Patricia

      • Barbara Dieu
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 24, 2011
          A friend has just shared an interesting link: University of Minesotta's
          Moodle support.
          http://www1.umn.edu/moodle/instructor/guides/index.html
          Warm regards,
          B.

          --
          Barbara Dieu
          http://barbaradieu.com

        • Don Hinkelman
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 24, 2011
            And if you are doing extensive reading, look into Tom Robb's well-developed Moodlereader site. http://moodlereader.org
            A good system for managing an institutional reading program. Or he can host you if you have just a class or two.
            Don

            > A friend has just shared an interesting link: University of Minesotta's
            > Moodle support.
            > http://www1.umn.edu/moodle/instructor/guides/index.html
            > Warm regards,
            > B.
            >
            > --
            > Barbara Dieu

          • Patricia Glogowski
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 24, 2011
              Thank you so much for all this info!!!! I am glad I am part of this listserv
              :)

              Patricia

              On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Don Hinkelman <hinkel@...> wrote:

              > And if you are doing extensive reading, look into Tom Robb's well-developed
              > Moodlereader site. http://moodlereader.org
              > A good system for managing an institutional reading program. Or he can host
              > you if you have just a class or two.
              > Don
              >

              > > A friend has just shared an interesting link: University of Minesotta's
              > > Moodle support.
              > > http://www1.umn.edu/moodle/instructor/guides/index.html
              > > Warm regards,
              > > B.
              > >
              > > --
              > > Barbara Dieu

            • Carla arena
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 24, 2011
                Pat,

                Just be attentive that it was just released a new version of MOODLE 2.0 and
                there is already an e-book about it.

                Carla
                EVO Coordinating Team
                http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com
                Contributor of http://pocketcultures.com

                On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Patricia Glogowski <
                patricia.glogowski@...> wrote:

                > Thank you so much for all this info!!!! I am glad I am part of this
                > listserv
                > :)
                >
                > Patricia
                >
                > On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Don Hinkelman <hinkel@...> wrote:
                >

                > > And if you are doing extensive reading, look into Tom Robb's
                > well-developed
                > > Moodlereader site. http://moodlereader.org
                > > A good system for managing an institutional reading program. Or he can
                > host
                > > you if you have just a class or two.
                > > Don
                > >

                > > > A friend has just shared an interesting link: University of Minesotta's
                > > > Moodle support.
                > > > http://www1.umn.edu/moodle/instructor/guides/index.html
                > > > Warm regards,
                > > > B.
                > > >
                > > > --
                > > > Barbara Dieu

              • Maria D
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 24, 2011
                  Dear Patricia,

                  I've found some very interesting resources in the answers to your question (as usual in this community!)

                  Here are my 2 cents: http://www.integrating-technology.org/ offers Moodle workshops at different levels (orientation, beginners, intermediate and advanced) and also for administrators. I have taken a couple of them and found them quite useful.

                  Hope this helps,
                  Mary

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Glogowski <patricia.glogowski@...> wrote:

                  > Dear All,
                  >
                  > One of our schools is planning to use Moodle to run their online courses.
                  > They have a limited knowledge on how to use it or how to proceed with
                  > setting up their courses. Could you please suggest any resources that might
                  > help them understand how Moodle works & how to set up their courses?
                  >
                  > Thank you so much!
                  >
                  > Patricia

                • saroltagv
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 25, 2011
                    DearPatricia,

                    These resources might also help:

                    * http://www.moodletutorials.org/video.php?category=tr
                    <http://www.moodletutorials.org/video.php?category=tr>
                    * http://treadwell.cce.cornell.edu/moodle_doc/index.html
                    <http://treadwell.cce.cornell.edu/moodle_doc/index.html>
                    * http://moodle.grok.lsu.edu/
                    <http://treadwell.cce.cornell.edu/moodle_doc/index.html>
                    * http://www.schooltube.com/user/hamptonk
                    <http://www.schooltube.com/user/hamptonk>
                    * http://www.uis.edu/colrs/learning/technologies/moodle.html
                    <http://www.uis.edu/colrs/learning/technologies/moodle.html>
                    * http://news.rsc-em.ac.uk/rsc-moodle-courses-available/
                    <http://news.rsc-em.ac.uk/rsc-moodle-courses-available/>
                    Those who'd like to get a grip on Moodle pedagogy, might also check
                    http://docs.moodle.org/en/Pedagogy <http://docs.moodle.org/en/Pedagogy>
                    .
                    There's a free book on Moodle at
                    http://moodle-tutorials.blogspot.com/2009/04/moodle-free-e-book.html
                    <http://moodle-tutorials.blogspot.com/2009/04/moodle-free-e-book.html>
                    However, I must admit that I get most of my ideas for Moodle by
                    following MoodleNews <http://www.moodlenews.com/> and the tweets of
                    expert Moodle users such as those on Thibaults list in Twitter:
                    http://twitter.com/#!/josephthibault/moodlers
                    <http://twitter.com/#%21/josephthibault/moodlers> .

                    In my experience Moodle can be overwhelming at first to a lot of
                    teachers so it is worth starting in a simple way. Allow teachers to use
                    Moodle as a depository first: they can share basic information about
                    their subject/course with their students, share a few files ad links and
                    perhaps even use the News forum. At our school this worked: 10 new
                    teachers decided to do just that and ended up doing more than planned.
                    So don't be too ambitious in the beginning especially if teachers have
                    to work on their own. I use Moodle to support my teaching in the
                    classroom, but there's a huge difference between what I did in Moodle in
                    my first year and what I do now, four years later. We also created a
                    support group for beginners: they can turn to any of us and ask for help
                    individually. It turned out well.
                    Good luck!

                    Best regards,
                    Sarolta

                    <patricia.glogowski@...> wrote:

                    > Dear All,
                    >
                    > One of our schools is planning to use Moodle to run their online
                    courses.
                    > They have a limited knowledge on how to use it or how to proceed with
                    > setting up their courses. Could you please suggest any resources that
                    might
                    > help them understand how Moodle works & how to set up their courses?
                    >
                    > Thank you so much!
                    >
                    > Patricia

                  • Michael Coghlan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 25, 2011
                      And one more Patricia! A wiki I assembled some
                      time ago to demo some 'good' Moodle courses.
                      <http://moodlegoodpractice.wikispaces.com/>http://moodlegoodpractice.wikispaces.com/

                      - Michael

                      ----------

                      At 11:05 AM 24/03/2011, you wrote:

                      >Dear All,
                      >
                      >One of our schools is planning to use Moodle to run their online courses.
                      >They have a limited knowledge on how to use it or how to proceed with
                      >setting up their courses. Could you please suggest any resources that might
                      >help them understand how Moodle works & how to set up their courses?
                      >
                      >Thank you so much!
                      >
                      >Patricia

                    • ISIL BOY
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 25, 2011