Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: A straightforward list of ten thingsyouneed to do before January 26

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2003
      Hi all,

      This is just a posting on the practical benefits of a distributed community of practice. Maria has been having a problem with her chat software. The other day we encountered on line and I helped her troubleshoot the problem. She was not able to get her Yahoo voice or video to work, so we tried it out. I could see her web cam fine, which is typical firewall behavior. Firewalls don't usually stop you from broadcasting; they just stop other people's packets from getting IN through the firewall. She was on a DSL connection at home and seemingly had unfettered access to the Internet. We suspected her antivirus software so she disabled it. Once the a/v 'firewall' was out of the picture, everything worked fine. I didn't have a web cam handy but we tested with voice and were able to converse fine using Yahoo Messenger. Coincidentally, Jane from Beijing (now in Nanning) happened along and we had a three way conversation.

      I'm writing this to illustrate that one of the great benefits of a CoP of this nature is that we can use each other to test our CMC tools. If you are trying to get something to work, then the benefits to you are obvious, but if someone is using you to test their connection, you invariably learn from the experience.

      If you're not familiar with CMC tools, but would like to try, this group can help you. Start here:

      http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/week3.htm

      Incidentally, vancestevens.com is back on the air (after Geocities dallied for
      a week, they finally fixed it), so, also ...
      http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/week3.htm

      Vance