Help is needed

  • Ангелина
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 22, 2011
      Dear Webheads,

      I am new in your group, and follow all the postings here which make me feel at home.

      I am really crazy of using technologies in studying. Actually, I am still a student but have been doing a research on Reduced Forms in English. I've met many Americans here in Ukraine, at our University, and they use reduced forms a lot in their speech which make non-native speakers feel confused.

      I'd be very grateful for everyone who can help me to find articles in the Internet on the theme mentioned above. I am on my way to make a presentation at the Students' Conference. I need more resources to read.

      Angelina Tarashevska,
      Ukraine

    • Cintia Costa
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 22, 2011
        Hi Angelina,

        I have been using a textbook called "On Speaking Term" by Eliana Santana-Williamson in order to help my students to learn many details and characteristics of the English spoken language.

        It's a brand new book, and the results with my students from Kazakhstan that are spending some months here in the United States are very nice.

        As a Brazilian teacher of English, I find it very useful.

        Best regards,
        Cintia Costa

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 22, 2011
          Hi Angelina,

          It's me again, :-) I have just found this article: http://www.catesol.org/07Weinstein.pdf%c2%a0

          I hope it helps.

          Be happy,
          Cintia :-)

          I am new in your group, and follow all the postings here which make me feel at home.

          I am really crazy of using technologies in studying. Actually, I am still a student but have been doing a research on Reduced Forms in English. I've met many Americans here in Ukraine, at our University, and they use reduced forms a lot in their speech which make non-native speakers feel confused.

          I'd be very grateful for everyone who can help me to find articles in the Internet on the theme mentioned above. I am on my way to make a presentation at the Students' Conference. I need more resources to read.

          Angelina Tarashevska,
          Ukraine

        • Alexandra Koukoumialou
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 23, 2011
            Hi Angelina,

            I hope I'm not too late with my suggestion amd that your presentation goes
            well!!!

            Here's a very comprehensive article on the issue of connected speech:
            http://jalt.org/pansig/2006/HTML/Brown.htm

            Let me know if it's any help and sorry for not responding earlier - had a
            crazy 8-hour teaching Tuesday :-(

            Cheers,

            Alexandra

            On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Ангелина <l-i-n-a-@...> wrote:

            > Dear Webheads,
            >
            > I am new in your group, and follow all the postings here which make me feel
            > at home.
            >
            > I am really crazy of using technologies in studying. Actually, I am still a
            > student but have been doing a research on Reduced Forms in English. I've met
            > many Americans here in Ukraine, at our University, and they use reduced
            > forms a lot in their speech which make non-native speakers feel confused.
            >
            > I'd be very grateful for everyone who can help me to find articles in the
            > Internet on the theme mentioned above. I am on my way to make a presentation
            > at the Students' Conference. I need more resources to read.
            >
            > Angelina Tarashevska,
            > Ukraine

          • Lina Tarashevska
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 23, 2011
              Hi, Alaxandra,

              Thank you so much for you help. The article is just amazing! I'll be
              definitely using it for my presentation. Thanks again.

              Angelina.

              2011/2/23 Alexandra Koukoumialou <a.koukoumialou@...>

              > Hi Angelina,
              >
              > I hope I'm not too late with my suggestion amd that your presentation goes
              > well!!!
              >
              > Here's a very comprehensive article on the issue of connected speech:
              > http://jalt.org/pansig/2006/HTML/Brown.htm
              >
              > Let me know if it's any help and sorry for not responding earlier - had a
              > crazy 8-hour teaching Tuesday :-(
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Alexandra

            • Alexandra Koukoumialou
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 23, 2011
                So glad to hear that, Angelina!!!
                Please let me know how it all went,

                Wishing you the best of luck,

                Alexandra

              • nina.lyulkun@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 23, 2011
                  Dear Alexandra, Cintia and Angelina,

                  Thank you very much for the very nice and useful materials you've let us
                  know about.
                  I was asked about Reduced forms of English many times by my students, but
                  never could find so much comprehensive material.
                  I'm sure Angelina will do her best and her presentation at the conference
                  will be a success. Students like to learn more about English spoken
                  language.

                  The best,
                  Nina Lyulkun

                  --
                  *Nina Lyulkun *(Ukraine)
                  http://tesol-ua.blogspot.com/

                • Cintia Costa
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 23, 2011
                    Dear Nina,

                    You can always count on me. I love to study about spoken language. :-)

                    I wish you lots of success!
                    Cintia :-)

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 23, 2011
                      Here's just a suggestion. Why don't you guys get together with a class of
                      native english speaking students or their teachers, perhaps those of some of
                      the teachers who have responded here, for an hour in Skype or Elluminate
                      (you are welcome to use http://tinyurl.com/y3eh).

                      Just introduce yourselves, chat for an hour, record the session, and then
                      get your students to find as many reduced forms in the recorded talk as they
                      can.

                      We could do this as one of the weekly sessions of
                      http://learning2gether.pbworks.com at noon or 1300 gmt if you wanted.

                      Let us know how we can help,

                      Vance

                      --
                      Vance Stevens
                      http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 24, 2011
                        Thank you Cintia!
                        Hi Vance!

                        It's really a good idea!
                        I will definitely try to arrange my colleagues and students to participate
                        in such, let's say, Club online.

                        The best,
                        Nina

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 24, 2011
                          Great idea, Vance!

                          Nina, if you want, I can put you in contact with the author of that textbook "On speaking terms" I mentioned previously.

                          Eliana Santana-Williamson has written her PhD dissertation about spoken English and I bet she would be really willing to chat with you through skype. She has been teaching English as a second/foreign language for many years and I am sure she would give you plenty of ideas to be used in lessons.

                          Take care,
                          Cintia :-)