Webheads tee shirts!

  • Nina Liakos
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 20, 2011
      You may recall that a few months ago I suggested creating an online shop for tee shirts and other stuff with the webheads logo at CafePress.com. I have finally done it. The URL is http://www.cafepress.com/WebheadsinAction

      You can select a tee shirt in various sizes and colors. They cost under $20 (expensive, but at least the fabric is good quality). There are other products too, like mugs and totes. The problem is that the logo I have is not a high quality image, so I can't make it large, which is what I would really like to do. I am graphically clueless, so if anyone has the expertise to modify this logo, I will be happy to change the design of the tee shirt! I had to save at least one design in order to create the "shop".

      If enough people actually buy these products, eventually we will collect a bit of money (10% of the cost of each item). As you may remember, I suggested using any money collected for a webheads cause, such as a scholarship to a f2f convention for a webhead or a donation to a deserving student, such as Mike Marzio's young Kenyan friend. But I actually think it unlikely that we will collect much money, unless we get a better design, so--help please! If you can create a better logo, send it to me at nina dot liakos at gmail dot com.
    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 20, 2011
        Brilliant Nina - thank you! I'll be getting one for sure. Or two, or three....

        - Michael

        At 10:57 AM 21/02/2011, you wrote:
        ><http://www.cafepress.com/WebheadsinAction>http://www.cafepress.com/WebheadsinAction

      • Nina Liakos
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 20, 2011
          Mike, even better if you can improve the design first to make the logo larger!
          Nina

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 20, 2011
            Maybe Nina. But I quite like small logos. More subtle :)

            - Michael

            ----------

            At 11:12 AM 21/02/2011, you wrote:

            >Mike, even better if you can improve the design first to make the logo larger!
            >Nina
            >
            >--- In
            ><mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com,
            >Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Brilliant Nina - thank you! I'll be getting
            > one for sure. Or two, or three....
            > >
            > > - Michael
            > >
            > > At 10:57 AM 21/02/2011, you wrote:
            > > ><<http://www.cafepress.com/WebheadsinAction>h
            > ttp://www.cafepress.com/WebheadsinAction>http://www.cafepress.com/WebheadsinAction

          • Buthaina AlOthman
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 21, 2011
              Dear Nina,

              I've already purchased my first T-Shirt :) And, once, again, Nina, thanks for creating such a humane, friendly, Webhead project so that we / the Webheads can financially help one another in a safe, secured way..

              Regarding the logo, I found that it's good but might need to be a little bigger so it's more obvious. Also, as far as I can recall, that logo was designed by Bee (correct me if I'm wrong, Bee, please). And that there is another one designed by Aiden? (The one with the Earth / globe image, indicating we / the Webheads are a global CoP or group (which I prefer) - correct me if I'm wrong, Aiden, please). What I'd like to suggest is why not use both logos alternatively providing the chance for buyers to select their fav. one).

              Thank you, Nina for your time, effort, and support,

              Love, Friendship, & Peace,

              -Buth :)

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 21, 2011
                Oops!! Nina, just noticed you already said the logo needs to be enlarged :)

                And here is a link to the other logo which I mentioned in my previous message: http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/4412599/homepage/name/homepage.jpg?type=sn

                -Buth :)

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 21, 2011
                  Hi all,

                  Buth has a good memory. I had remembered Bee, and one logo is from
                  Fernanda, and I think, yes, Aiden might have contributed. Maybe that was
                  part of the mashup ..

                  There is a Webheads Hut in Second Life which has been resurrected at
                  Edunation, hosted in Heike's quadrant, and maintained such as that happens
                  through the efforts of Dennis Newson. They want to put a sign on it and
                  asked me for a logo, so I sent them this message ...

                  Once upon time a long long time ago there begat Webheads, and lo a call was
                  sent forth unto the far reaches of the cybersphere asking if any could
                  provide a logo worthy of the endeavor. Many were provided but verily this
                  community lacked a means of reaching firm decisions, and its leader claimed
                  authority only akin to that granted a herder of cats. So the logo was
                  mashed up into two very very solid contenders until, as there was no will
                  within the community to choose one, in effect rejecting the other, the
                  herder of cats hit upon a solution not quite as drastic as that of Solomon,
                  use both of them :-)

                  Hence at http://vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
                  you will find a mouseover

                  I see now by its name that one version was provided by Fernanda (I had
                  thought so) and I think the other perhaps by Bee.

                  Since we can't do a mouseover on a t-shirt maybe we could use both logos
                  maybe front and back or attractively arrayed on the front.

                  Incidentally, Dennis has an idea for use of the funds, possibly in
                  conjunction with other sister communities. I'll let him tell you.

                  Vance

                  --
                  Vance Stevens
                  http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com

                • Aiden
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 21, 2011
                    Love the poetic tone vance :-) FYI, it was my sister, Wai, who did two (?) logos and yes the ones we're using now are mashed up versions of all the logo studies we had ;-)

                    Aiden

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 21, 2011
                      One question we've raised is do we have permission from the artists to use
                      these logos for the purposes recommended so far? It looks like we've
                      identified those who put time and effort into our lovely logos.

                      Vance

                      2011/2/21 Aiden <aidenyeh@...>

> [...]
                      > would
                      > >> really like to do. I am graphically clueless, so if anyone has the
                      > expertise
                      > >> to modify this logo, I will be happy to change the design of the tee
                      > shirt!
                      > >> I had to save at least one design in order to create the "shop".

                      > >> collect a bit of money (10% of the cost of each item). As you may
                      > remember,
                      > >> I suggested using any money collected for a webheads cause, such as a
                      > >> scholarship to a f2f convention for a webhead or a donation to a
                      > deserving
                      > >> student, such as Mike Marzio's young Kenyan friend. But I actually think
                      > it
                      > >> unlikely that we will collect much money, unless we get a better design,
                      > >> so--help please! If you can create a better logo, send it to me at nina

                    • John Hibbs
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 21, 2011
                        I would like to suggest that in the signature line that Yahoo
                        permits, Webheads includes the link to where the T-shirt can be
                        purchased. This is a great undertaking. With all the bright minds and
                        passion that Webheads represent, who knows where this could go? Good
                        work all.

                        P.S. On each and every post, the author MIGHT consider adding a p.s.
                        with the link and a tag line that would encourage a visit to the
                        page.) And even a teeny-weeny personal note as well???
                      • John Hibbs
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 21, 2011
                          Dear Cat Herder: You made me laugh. But as one who lives in the
                          shadow of Nike, and knows the history of the Swoosh, it made my smile
                          even larger. The difference between the what you talk about and what
                          came to pass with the Nike logo was that some fairly low level
                          kitten in the brand new company called Nike, decided that he couldn't
                          pass Fat Cat Muster, on Madison Avenue, and admit that to the
                          dithering. So, he picked, all by herself, a logo....the Swoosh.

                          Lesson? Pick one and promote like crazy.

                          Then reward the kittens who both purchase the product and cause
                          others to do the same.

                          Thank you for the giggle.

                          Signed,
                          Your faithful kitten

                          P.S Not snipped because the commentary below is worth a second reading. Sorry.

                          At 5:23 PM +0400 2/21/11, Vance Stevens wrote:
                          >Hi all,
                          >
                          >Buth has a good memory. I had remembered Bee, and one logo is from
                          >Fernanda, and I think, yes, Aiden might have contributed. Maybe that was
                          >part of the mashup ..
                          >
                          >There is a Webheads Hut in Second Life which has been resurrected at
                          >Edunation, hosted in Heike's quadrant, and maintained such as that happens
                          >through the efforts of Dennis Newson. They want to put a sign on it and
                          >asked me for a logo, so I sent them this message ...
                          >
                          >Once upon time a long long time ago there begat Webheads, and lo a call was
                          >sent forth unto the far reaches of the cybersphere asking if any could
                          >provide a logo worthy of the endeavor. Many were provided but verily this
                          >community lacked a means of reaching firm decisions, and its leader claimed
                          >authority only akin to that granted a herder of cats. So the logo was
                          >mashed up into two very very solid contenders until, as there was no will
                          >within the community to choose one, in effect rejecting the other, the
                          >herder of cats hit upon a solution not quite as drastic as that of Solomon,
                          >use both of them :-)
                          >
                          >Hence at http://vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
                          >you will find a mouseover
                          >
                          >I see now by its name that one version was provided by Fernanda (I had
                          >thought so) and I think the other perhaps by Bee.
                          >
                          >Since we can't do a mouseover on a t-shirt maybe we could use both logos
                          >maybe front and back or attractively arrayed on the front.
                          >
                          >Incidentally, Dennis has an idea for use of the funds, possibly in
                          >conjunction with other sister communities. I'll let him tell you.
                          >
                          >Vance
                          >

                          >On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Buthaina AlOthman
                          ><buthaina_3@...>wrote:
                          >

                          >> Oops!! Nina, just noticed you already said the logo needs to be enlarged :)
                          >>

                          >> And here is a link to the other logo which I mentioned in my previous
                          >> message:
                          > > http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/4412599/homepage/name/homepage.jpg?type=sn

                        • Mike
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 21, 2011
                            I agree wholeheartedly, John.

                            It would be great to sell a large amount of the items that Nina has made available at cafepress. All kinds of promotion would be good, including tweets and other social media... It might not only be fun, and good for whatever use the 10% proceeds are used for, but might also be a way of "advertising" Webheads existence.

                            Concerning the size of the logo, at first I was disappointed to hear that it was small in size, but after looking at it on
                            http://www.cafepress.com/WebheadsinAction
                            I agree with Michael that subtle is good. It's simply difficult to judge the actual quality since there is no way to zoom in on the logo on the tee-shirt.

                            I'll find out when mine arrives!

                            Good job, Nina!

                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 21, 2011
                              I just ordered my Triple Extra Large T-Shirt.

                              I wonder if the kittens would be interested in a dialogue for
                              purposes of agreement on a specific Webheads goal, to include some
                              idea of budget for achievement? Promotion plans to raise the funding
                              would follow.

                              HOWEVER, this word of CAUTION!

                              Or, does the Chief Herder feel, as he may well, that this kind of
                              promotion would be distractive to the core mission of Webheads?
                              That's a good argument, especially given the work you do and the
                              outcomes that have resulted. Chief Cats -- What thinks you?
                              --------

                              Once more, I salute ALL of you...and I don't even teach English. Nor
                              am capable of using a /fraction/ of the tools Webheads use so easily.
                              But I am convinced that the best, most affordable path to a safer,
                              saner would be both paved and powered by those inside your classrooms
                              -- worldwide.

                              I can't wait for my navy blue T-shirt to get here.

                              P.S. Be the next Webhead to place your order here
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 21, 2011
                                I thought I could add a second design, thinking of Aiden's logo, but I created a basic (free) shop and I may not be able to do that... And I don't really want to pay for a premium shop ($5-7 a month!). Of course I (or someone) could create a separate basic shop for the second logo.
                                Nina

                                PS Buth, be sure to bring your t-shirt to TESOL!

                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 21, 2011
                                  Back when I first had the idea of doing this, Bee gave me permission to use her logo, and I think Fernanda did as well. But I don't recall if Aiden and her sister chimed in....

                                  Re: logo on the back, I don't think it's possible, at least not with a basic shop. :-( If we had the right quality graphic we could make a large centrally placed logo on the shirt front, though.

                                  > One question we've raised is do we have permission from the artists to use
                                  > these logos for the purposes recommended so far? It looks like we've
                                  > identified those who put time and effort into our lovely logos.
                                  >
                                  > Vance
                                • Aiden
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 21, 2011
                                    It's ok Nina. Of course you can use it

                                    Aiden

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    On 2011/2/21, at 下午5:11, "Nina Liakos" <nina.liakos@...> wrote:

                                    > Back when I first had the idea of doing this, Bee gave me permission to use her logo, and I think Fernanda did as well. But I don't recall if Aiden and her sister chimed in....
                                    >
                                    > Re: logo on the back, I don't think it's possible, at least not with a basic shop. :-( If we had the right quality graphic we could make a large centrally placed logo on the shirt front, though.
                                    > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens <vancestev@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > One question we've raised is do we have permission from the artists to use
                                    > > these logos for the purposes recommended so far? It looks like we've
                                    > > identified those who put time and effort into our lovely logos.
                                    > >
                                    > > Vance

                                  • Buthaina Al-Othman
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 22, 2011
                                      Unfortunately, I won't be going to TESOL 11 :( but hope to meet you all in TESOL 12 :)

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 23, 2011
                                        The webheads t-shirts thing has caused quite a stir! That's great, but I don't think you should get too excited about us making gobs of $$$ since we get only 10% of the proceeds, and the shirts are expensive, so I doubt everyone will get one. I hope the graphics quality will be good enough. The shirt that is available now actually has a (Bee) webheads logo and the words "Join the Webheads: Make Friends for Life", which appeared on a shirt Tere made for herself, and which I then copied when I had my (individual, not CafePress) shirt made 2 years ago. I hope everybody is OK with that. As for a second design, I think maybe I can do that, so those of you who wish to hold out for the other logo should do so.... Aiden, I think you have the link for that, which you posted, but I am not sure how to go from that big white page with a little logo in the corner to something which I can upload to CafePress. Ideas, anyone?

                                        Nina

                                        PS For you non-US residents, are they charging you a lot to ship the shirts?
                                      • Michael Coghlan
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 23, 2011
                                          At 05:48 AM 24/02/2011, you wrote:

                                          >The webheads t-shirts thing has caused quite a stir! That's great,
                                          >but I don't think you should get too excited about us making gobs of
                                          >$$$ since we get only 10% of the proceeds, and the shirts are
                                          >expensive, so I doubt everyone will get one. I hope the graphics
                                          >quality will be good enough. The shirt that is available now
                                          >actually has a (Bee) webheads logo and the words "Join the Webheads:
                                          >Make Friends for Life", which appeared on a shirt Tere made for
                                          >herself, and which I then copied when I had my (individual, not
                                          >CafePress) shirt made 2 years ago. I hope everybody is OK with that.
                                          >As for a second design, I think maybe I can do that, so those of you
                                          >who wish to hold out for the other logo should do so.... Aiden, I
                                          >think you have the link for that, which you posted, but I am not
                                          >sure how to go from that big white page with a little logo in the
                                          >corner to something which I can upload to CafePress. Ideas, anyone?
                                          >
                                          >Nina
                                          >
                                          >PS For you non-US residents, are they charging you a lot to ship the shirts?

                                          Just $5.00 for Australia - quite reasonable I thought.

                                          - Michael
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 23, 2011
                                            Hi folks,

                                            I'm enjoying this thread. I'm particularly amused at the notion that the
                                            cat herder should pick a logo or in any way interfere in this process that
                                            is going on quite well without cat herder interference.

                                            There is just one thing. I wonder if one of you cats who will be in New
                                            Orleans would be willing to order me a shirt and have it sent to your US
                                            address and then hand it over in New Orleans in return for hard cash? If
                                            choosing a logo is necessary, just get me one of each.

                                            If willing to do this just write me off list (before placing order) and I'll
                                            divulge my size, which would be large or XL (maybe, in typical fashion, I
                                            should just get one of each ;-)

                                            the CHr

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 23, 2011
                                              Lol I was thinking of the same thing. I'd like to get two, I small for me and L for my DAd :-) so that's 2 for me.

                                              I'll pay when we see each other in New Orleans!

                                              Aiden

                                              Sent from my iPhone

                                            • nina.lyulkun@gmail.com
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 24, 2011
                                                Hi guys,

                                                I do too like to get one. How can I order then?

                                                Nina

                                                --
                                                *Nina Lyulkun *(Ukraine)
                                                http://tesol-ua.blogspot.com/

                                              • Nina Liakos
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 24, 2011
                                                  Dear Vance, send your size info (also color, style...) to me and I will get you a shirt. I can get a $5 discount as the shopowner if I order by Feb. 27!
                                                  Nina

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 24, 2011
                                                    Aiden, same as for Vance: I don't know if I get $5 off more than one shirt, but if you want me to order shirt(s) for you let me know your size, color, and style preferences ASAP and I will bring them to NO.

                                                    Nina

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 24, 2011
                                                      Dear Nina,

                                                      I'm ok with the words that I came up with for a Lisbon & Algarve Webheads
                                                      dinner around 2007, I think. I've had my own t-shirt with Bee's Webhead icon
                                                      and my words) for a couple fo years, and so has Joao, my husband, and we
                                                      love it. The logo is a very nice size. We had them made at a local place
                                                      back then.

                                                      I meant to send the logo along a couple of days ago, but I'm not in Portugal
                                                      at the moment and don't have access to it. Maybe Joao can upload it to the
                                                      WiA YG files area.

                                                      Great idea, Nina!

                                                      Hugs, Teresa

                                                      Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:18 AM
                                                      Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Webheads tee shirts!

                                                      > The webheads t-shirts thing has caused quite a stir! ... The shirt that is
                                                      > available now actually has a (Bee) webheads logo and the words "Join the
                                                      > Webheads: Make Friends for Life", which appeared on a shirt Tere made for
                                                      > herself, and which I then copied when I had my (individual, not CafePress)
                                                      > shirt made 2 years ago. I hope everybody is OK with that. ...
                                                      >
                                                      > Nina
                                                    • ElizabethA
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 27, 2011
                                                        BRAVO Nina - brilliant initiative ... only sorry I can't show mine off in New Orleans :-(
                                                        amitiés
                                                        ElizabethA