Re: Just to share a joke ...

  • dk
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2011
      Many America jokes are so associated to culture that you need to not only be
      bilingual to understand them but bicultural. The humor in this joke also has
      some cultural history to it.

      This joke is using the word "save" in two ways.

      1. Save data on the computer.

      This used to be a tremendous problem with older programs that did not save
      data every three minutes. Sometimes you would be working all afternoon and
      lose power and lose all of your work. Today things are very different
      because our programs have automatic backup. If you lose power you lose two
      or three minutes of work. Just on this one point, many young people may not
      get the joke but us old timers remember the days of losing all of our data
      and a lot of work in this way.

      2. Jesus saves!

      These two words so well sum up the beliefs of evangelical Christians that it
      is often used as various evangelical Christian slogans, on bumper stickers,
      and I remember driving in the western parts of the United States and seeing
      it written in huge letters on the sides of barns. Americans are very
      familiar with this. But I've never heard of Catholic Christians saying it
      and certainly other religions don't. Consequently there are parts of the
      world where this would not be understood. And even if the idea of "Jesus
      saves!" is explained as meaning salvation, it will still not sound funny. It
      sounds funny to Americans, no matter if they are Christian or not, because
      they have heard this nearly all of their lives.

      So the joke is so associated to culture and even history that if you are not
      an older American you may not appreciate the humor. And this is the frequent
      problem with using these kinds of jokes with students and also why some
      jokes our students think are so funny do not sound funny to us.

      Some jokes that only rely on word play without cultural connections work
      just fine. I often ask my students:

      "Why did the man throw the butter out the window? He wanted to see the
      butterfly!" - They get that.

      OK, now it's time for me to make like a banana and split. Put an egg in my
      shoe and beat it. Make like a tree and leave. Bye!

      Dave Kees
      China
    • John Hibbs
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2011
        It's more rare than common that jokes rarely "catch" when they pass a
        national border. Even after two years in England, I would say that at
        least half the time I didn't get a joke that we would no term ROTFLOL
        (rolling on the floor, laughing out loud.)

        It's a good lesson to learn to include the "worth" of taking the time
        to "explain" to those who didn't get the original.

        In the Jesus Saves joke, this Very Old Guy rolled on the floor,
        partly because of the memories of times I did NOT "save".

        Thanks Dave.

        At 12:58 AM +0800 2/2/11, dk wrote:
        >Many America jokes are so associated to culture that you need to not only be
        >bilingual to understand them but bicultural. The humor in this joke also has
        >some cultural history to it.
        >
        >This joke is using the word "save" in two ways.
        >
        >1. Save data on the computer.
        \snip snip