Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Just to share a joke ...

  • Aiden
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
      Love this joke :-)

      Jesus saves. Can he help Satan recover his lost data then? ;-) if he's all that good

      Aiden

      Sent from my iPhone

    • dk
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2011
        Many America jokes are so associated to culture that you need to not only be
        bilingual to understand them but bicultural. The humor in this joke also has
        some cultural history to it.

        This joke is using the word "save" in two ways.

        1. Save data on the computer.

        This used to be a tremendous problem with older programs that did not save
        data every three minutes. Sometimes you would be working all afternoon and
        lose power and lose all of your work. Today things are very different
        because our programs have automatic backup. If you lose power you lose two
        or three minutes of work. Just on this one point, many young people may not
        get the joke but us old timers remember the days of losing all of our data
        and a lot of work in this way.

        2. Jesus saves!

        These two words so well sum up the beliefs of evangelical Christians that it
        is often used as various evangelical Christian slogans, on bumper stickers,
        and I remember driving in the western parts of the United States and seeing
        it written in huge letters on the sides of barns. Americans are very
        familiar with this. But I've never heard of Catholic Christians saying it
        and certainly other religions don't. Consequently there are parts of the
        world where this would not be understood. And even if the idea of "Jesus
        saves!" is explained as meaning salvation, it will still not sound funny. It
        sounds funny to Americans, no matter if they are Christian or not, because
        they have heard this nearly all of their lives.

        So the joke is so associated to culture and even history that if you are not
        an older American you may not appreciate the humor. And this is the frequent
        problem with using these kinds of jokes with students and also why some
        jokes our students think are so funny do not sound funny to us.

        Some jokes that only rely on word play without cultural connections work
        just fine. I often ask my students:

        "Why did the man throw the butter out the window? He wanted to see the
        butterfly!" - They get that.

        OK, now it's time for me to make like a banana and split. Put an egg in my
        shoe and beat it. Make like a tree and leave. Bye!

        Dave Kees
        China
      • John Hibbs
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2011
          It's more rare than common that jokes rarely "catch" when they pass a
          national border. Even after two years in England, I would say that at
          least half the time I didn't get a joke that we would no term ROTFLOL
          (rolling on the floor, laughing out loud.)

          It's a good lesson to learn to include the "worth" of taking the time
          to "explain" to those who didn't get the original.

          In the Jesus Saves joke, this Very Old Guy rolled on the floor,
          partly because of the memories of times I did NOT "save".

          Thanks Dave.

          At 12:58 AM +0800 2/2/11, dk wrote:
          >Many America jokes are so associated to culture that you need to not only be
          >bilingual to understand them but bicultural. The humor in this joke also has
          >some cultural history to it.
          >
          >This joke is using the word "save" in two ways.
          >
          >1. Save data on the computer.
          \snip snip