RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Web cast tool/platform needed for TESOL

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011
      Christine - I'll get in touch with Jonathan and get him to contact you.

      - Michael

      ----------

      At 09:58 AM 26/01/2011, you wrote:

      >Could you put us in touch with him? It's been a
      >long time since I communicated with him and I'm
      >not sure I have his contact info anymore.
      >That would be the best way, I agree.
      >
      >Christine Bauer-Ramazani
      >Saint Michael's College
      >One Winooski Park
      >Colchester, VT 05439-0253
      >802-654-2642

    • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011
        Thank you so much, Michael!

        Christine Bauer-Ramazani
        Saint Michael's College
        One Winooski Park
        Colchester, VT 05439-0253
        802-654-2642

        Christine - I'll get in touch with Jonathan and get him to contact you.

        - Michael

        ----------

        At 09:58 AM 26/01/2011, you wrote:

        >Could you put us in touch with him? It's been a
        >long time since I communicated with him and I'm
        >not sure I have his contact info anymore.
        >That would be the best way, I agree.
        >
        >Christine Bauer-Ramazani
        >Saint Michael's College
        >One Winooski Park
        >Colchester, VT 05439-0253
        >802-654-2642

      • Andras Chernel
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
          > Hello Folks! Lurking again! Under pressure from the boss to publish
          > (or perish!). Just had a 10min interview, what, where and when will I
          > publish in 2011 in an IMPACTED publication. I am a "mere"
          > Lektor/Teaching Assistant . Apparently, Blended Learning does not
          > "belong" to Humanities and Teaching English ... I Moodle, I test using
          > Moodle, I implement BL in my teaching. I am inspired by you guys and
          > so, so, so impressed! Kindly allow a cross-post: @ndyChernel

          read the article. watch the cartoon. ? can think of hundreds of uses in classrooms learning english developing writing and speaking skills presentations etc. testing/assessment

          So you Want to Get a PhD in the Humanitieshttp://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7451115/
          So You Think an English Professor's Life Is a Cartoon

          http://chronicle.com/article/So-You-Think-an-English/125954/?sid=wc&utm_source=wc&utm_medium=en

          Yeah, she knows. No need to burst her bubble. Ms. Allison, a 26-year-old English Ph.D.
          student at Temple University, has already done more than anyone in America to poke fun at this particular aspiration.
          She belongs to a growing army of amateur animators who have used a do-it-yourself cartoon-video Web site, called Xtranormal,
          to vent about the academic life. The company's simple text-to-movie technology --- "If you can type, you can make movies,"
          goes the slogan---is gaining a wide following among educators as a tool for both teaching and satire.
          Chances are that you're among the nearly one million people who have relished a dark chuckle over Ms. Allison's online video,
          "So You Want to Get A PhD in the Humanities."
          That's the one where a jaded professor warns a bright undergraduate that she will waste away in a library for up to nine years of grad
          school, only to get a job earning less than a janitor at a college in Alaska, where she will remain single forever and work 65 hours a week "trying to publish an obscure article that no one cares about in an obscure scholarly journal that nobody will read."

          Thnx 2 Isa Kocher/CETEFL

          > Thank you so much, Michael! Christine Bauer-Ramazani Saint Michael's
          > College One Winooski Park Colchester, VT 05439-0253 802-654-2642

          ___ Information from ESET Mail Security, ver. 5820 (20110126) ___
          The message was checked by ESET Mail Security. www.eset.com

        • Barbara Dieu
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
            Christine,
            I have a room at Learning Times that you can use at no cost. I will
            not be going to New Orleans this year, but would enjoy
            moderating/facilitating some sessions if they do not coincide with my
            teaching time at school.
            Warm regards from Brazil,
            Bee

            --
            Barbara Dieu
            http://barbaradieu.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
              Great, Bee, but we'll miss you at TESOL! Hope things are going well for you in Brazil.
              We'll take you up on your offer. The Web casting team will contact you. Is there a limit to the number of participants in the room? I have/had one, too, for a year but it's limited to a small number (9?).

              Christine Bauer-Ramazani
              Saint Michael's College
              One Winooski Park
              Colchester, VT 05439-0253
              802-654-2642

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
                Dear All,
                Let me inform you of some research work into Language learning and social media. Please see the details below. We would be very happy to see you participate in some of these.

                Best,

                Jarek Krajka,
                Lublin, Poland

                Language learning and teaching through social media in new EU countries: the case of Romania, Latvia and Poland is a set of public activities that are being launched from June 2010 to June 2011.

                The aim of these activities is to involve the public in a discussion about current and emerging uses of social media in those countries. Our activities include:

                A webinar: (face-to-face discussion broadcast live)

                Language learners using social media: What is happening in Latvia, Poland and Romania

                11.02.2011, Riga 12:30 - 13:30 CET (GMT+1)

                University of Latvia, Information Technology Department - Aspazijas blvd. 5

                Broadcast live via Elluminate (email to webinar.riga@... for a free invitation)

                Interaction with remote participants will be facilitated through the chat and the Q/A session

                Please register at webinar.riga@... soon, preferably one day before the event.

                A forum discussion:

                - How, and for what purposes, do language learners use the Internet in their everyday life and to learn languages?
                - What are learners' perceptions and attitudes in relation to social media?
                - What motivates learners to become active users and contributors in digital social spaces?

                - How do teachers use social media in foreign language classrooms?

                In English, Polish, Romanian and Latvian:

                http://www.elearningeuropa.info/community/index.php?page=forum&f=9

                A study:

                Social media and language learning: beliefs, attitudes and uses in Latvia, Poland and Romania

                Freely available in English, French, Latvian, Romanian and Polish (http://www.elearningeuropa.info/main/index.php?page=fix&id=48)

                On the basis of approximately 60 interviews carried out in Latvia, Poland and Romania with people of varying degrees of computer use and familiarity with web 2.0 technologies, this study traces prevailing current Internet uses and people's beliefs concerning the use of social media for learning languages The study is based on mixed method research (interviews, questionnaires, cross-country quantitative data).

                Join our activities, share your views! We look forward to learning and interacting with you!

                European network "language learning and social media: 6 key dialogues"

                http://www.elearningeuropa.info/languagelearning

                Join us on Twitter and on LinkedIn

                Supported by the European Commission (LLP programme, KA2 Languages)