Don't forget the Sunday SpeedGeek at 13:00 GMT in Elluminate

  • Vance
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2010
      James Buckingham has invited you to the event 'Jim Buckingham to talk on Zotero citation tool' on TESOL Arabia - Education Technology - Special Interest Group!

      Check this out. 13:00 GMT Sunday, November 28th.

      Jim Buckingham to talk on Zotero citation tool
      Location: Online location at http://tinyurl.com/y3eh
      Organized By: Vance Stevens

      Event Description:
      The once dry and tedious world of citation writing is certainly getting much easier and some would say even exciting thanks to citation management tools like Endnote, Refworks, Mendeley and Zotero. I expect to provide a simple look at how they have come to be, followed by a look at the simple affordances (i.e. authoring citations, collecting citations, creating libraries, annotating articles, tagging articles) and then to the more advanced affordances (i.e. collaborative libraries, collective research). and the implications that this is having on research. I'll use Zotero as my example to help illustrate these things... and then open it up to others to contribute. Target audience? Anyone doing research and still citing work on cue cards .. anyone left with the often dreadful task of teaching students APA style citation management .. anyone who is a librarian or resource person supporting people doing research.

      This event is part of a participant-driven professional development series planned as a part of the ongoing (since 1998) Webheads in Action professional development series, most recently with the involvement of the TESOL Arabia EdTech SIG. The events take place at 13:00 GMT each Sunday (5 pm in UAE).

      The event actually starts at noon GMT (4 p.m. in the UAE) when teaching practitioners gather at http://tappedin.org for informal text chat. At 13:00 GMT (5 p.m. in the UAE) we move to the presentation venue, Elluminate at http://tinyurl.com/y3eh.

      Please note, Elluminate is generously provided to us by Learning Times, and prior registration is required (non-intrusive, takes only minutes).

      For more information please visit http://learning2gether.pbworks.com

      The Google Calendar showing these events is displayed at http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/calendar and also at http://multiliteracies.ning.com/ and at http://taedtech.ning.com

      See more details and RSVP on TESOL Arabia - Education Technology - Special Interest Group:
      http://taedtech.ning.com/events/event/show?id=6296245%3AEvent%3A560&xgi=0pWTLADVcn7GUi&xg_source=msg_invite_event
    • Vance
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 28, 2010
        Hi,

        Just to let you know, the presentation today was recorded and has been archived, as it says at http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/fall2010, here:

        http://tinyurl.com/2010nov28spdgk

        Jim Buckingham gave a compelling demonstration to suggest to those of us not already using Zotero to ask ourselves, what are we waiting for?

        In case you're not using Twitter in your teaching, it will be Rita Zeinstejer's turn next week.

        In case you haven't tuned into our Sunday SpeedGeek sessions yet, what are you waiting for?

        Vance