Hacked on FB

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
      Somebody is pretending to be me on Facebook, and the person can't write English very well. This person is chatting to others in my name and has "the same Facebook as me" according to friends who have experienced the fake Me via chat!

      What can one do? I can not see this hacked copy of my Facebook. Or to put it another way, I don't know how to distinguish between my Facebook and the same account, which is the compromised version.

      There doesn't seem to be anyone to complain to, of course. I only find the usual security recommendations (I have the highest security possible. In fact, the account has become useless since I can not even allow myself to receive messages). But I want to keep this main account because my "fan page" version of FB depends on the main account, and I don't want to lose all the work I've done in the archives there...

      Has anyone got any horrible experience to share on this point? Or advice??
    • Graham Stanley
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
        Hi Mike,

        if you have already changed your passwords and disallowed most of the apps
        permission to access your account, then I'm not sure what else you can do.
        Have you done both of these? And did this activity still happen?

        Best,

        Graham

        @grahamstanley
        http://blog-efl.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
          Hi Graham,

          I had forgotten about "Applications, Games and Websites" which are all removed now too, including the platform.

          Thanks for that. In the next few days I'll see how it goes.

          If anyone finds me chatting to them on FB, please let me know, because it's not really me chatting...

          Mike

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stanley <blogefl@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > if you have already changed your passwords and disallowed most of the apps
          > permission to access your account, then I'm not sure what else you can do.
          > Have you done both of these? And did this activity still happen?
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Graham
          >
          > @grahamstanley
          > http://blog-efl.blogspot.com
          >
          > On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Mike <marzio-school@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Somebody is pretending to be me on Facebook, and the person can't write
          > > English very well. This person is chatting to others in my name and has "the
          > > same Facebook as me" according to friends who have experienced the fake Me
          > > via chat!
          > >
          > > What can one do? I can not see this hacked copy of my Facebook. Or to put
          > > it another way, I don't know how to distinguish between my Facebook and the
          > > same account, which is the compromised version.
          > >
          > > There doesn't seem to be anyone to complain to, of course. I only find the
          > > usual security recommendations (I have the highest security possible. In
          > > fact, the account has become useless since I can not even allow myself to
          > > receive messages). But I want to keep this main account because my "fan
          > > page" version of FB depends on the main account, and I don't want to lose
          > > all the work I've done in the archives there...
          > >
          > > Has anyone got any horrible experience to share on this point? Or advice??

        • Susana Canelo
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
            Hi Mike: I was "investigating" and he's got 16 friends in common with me , including Carla Arena and Dolores Moleiro (Webheads you know).As I didn't add him to my friends I can't see his profile, but the rest of the account seems empty,no pictures, no videos, no chosen pages. Maybe I can't see them 'cause I'm not a friend. He's using one of your photos.
            Your real account has the picture where you're wearing a hat, hasn't it?Would you like me to report him in Facebook ?? What would happen if every webhead you know were asked to ??
            Tell me, I'm here to help.A hugSusana

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
              Contact FB support. They are pretty fantastic and will help you out. My account was hacked a year ago and within a week FB had it all back to normal.
              You can read my blog account here: http://www.techlearning.com/blogs/15098

              Yes, make sure you have a secure password and be careful which applications you choose as 3rd party apps.

              Cheryl

              Cheryl Oakes
              coakes@...
              Cheryl Steele Oakes

              Resource Room HS
              Wells Ogunquit CSD Wells ME 04090
              http://www.cheryloakes.com

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
                Hi Cheryl,

                I just got this reply after reporting the problem to FB:

                **Your account has been temporarily suspended** which I thought might be good, not realizing that it was step 1 of the wizard for resetting the account. At the end of the process involving multiple password changes, I removed my total restrictions for the Sharing Privacy settings, and chose the Recommended settings. Also, all 3rd-party Apps removed.

                Now it's wait and see,

                Thanks for your help,

                Mike

                **"Suspicious activity has been detected on your Facebook account and it has been temporarily suspended as a security precaution. It is likely that your account was compromised as a result of entering your password on a website designed to look like Facebook. This type of attack is known as phishing."**

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl Oakes <coakes@...> wrote:

                > Contact FB support. They are pretty fantastic and will help you out. My account was hacked a year ago and within a week FB had it all back to normal.
                > You can read my blog account here: http://www.techlearning.com/blogs/15098
                >
                > Yes, make sure you have a secure password and be careful which applications you choose as 3rd party apps.
                >
                > Cheryl
                >
                > Cheryl Oakes
                > coakes@...
                > Cheryl Steele Oakes
                >
                > Resource Room HS
                > Wells Ogunquit CSD Wells ME 04090
                > http://www.cheryloakes.com

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
                  Hi Susana,

                  I found the FB Wizard for resetting my account.

                  I think I'm OK now. What do you think??
                  http://www.facebook.com/?tid=10150303302890360&sk=messages#!/RealEnglish

                  Bises,
                  Mike

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Susana Canelo <susana_canelo@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Mike: I was "investigating" and he's got 16 friends in common with me , including Carla Arena and Dolores Moleiro (Webheads you know).As I didn't add him to my friends I can't see his profile, but the rest of the account seems empty,no pictures, no videos, no chosen pages. Maybe I can't see them 'cause I'm not a friend. He's using one of your photos.
                  > Your real account has the picture where you're wearing a hat, hasn't it?Would you like me to report him in Facebook ?? What would happen if every webhead you know were asked to ??
                  > Tell me, I'm here to help.A hugSusana

                • Susana Canelo
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
                    Oups...I clicked on the link and this message appeared:
                    Sólo el destinatario puede ver esto.Only the recipient can view this.I read your last post, and I guess it's part of FB's solution.
                    I'm glad you could solve it. HugsSusana

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
                      Susana,
                      I forgot to mention how insightful your investigations were.

                      You provided the most important information, i.e. info that is not accessible to me as an "outsider".

                      It's all hard to understand, but this gives a good alternative view.

                      Bises, Mike

                      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Susana Canelo <susana_canelo@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Mike: I was "investigating" and he's got 16 friends in common with me , including Carla Arena and Dolores Moleiro (Webheads you know).As I didn't add him to my friends I can't see his profile, but the rest of the account seems empty,no pictures, no videos, no chosen pages. Maybe I can't see them 'cause I'm not a friend. He's using one of your photos.
                      > Your real account has the picture where you're wearing a hat, hasn't it?Would you like me to report him in Facebook ?? What would happen if every webhead you know were asked to ??
                      > Tell me, I'm here to help.A hugSusana

                    • Mary
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
                        Mike and everyone,

                        this is what I see when I click on the link.
                        http://screencast.com/t/C4TPvZguLv

                        It takes me to a George Steps.

                        --