Fielded discussion: Peter Medgyes - Native or Non-Native language teacher?

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2010
      Our fielder for the YLTSIG discussion from Monday 8 November to Friday 12 is
      PETER MEDGYES, Professor of Applied Linguistics at the Eötvös Loránd
      University of Budapest. Previously, he was a schoolteacher, teacher trainer,
      Vice President of his university, Deputy State Secretary at the Hungarian
      Ministry of Education and the Hungarian Ambassador in Damascus. Professor
      Medgyes is the author of numerous books and articles published both in
      Hungary and abroad.Many of you may have read his Changing Perspectives in
      Teacher Education (Macmillan Education, 1996), Laughing Matters: Humour in
      the Language Classroom (CUP 2002) orThe Non-Native Teacher (ELT) (Max
      Hueber,1999).

      For the YLTSIG discussion we have decided to look again at an old and still
      disputed issue -

      ||| Native or Non-Native language teacher? |||

      As Peter put it when I invited him to make a provocative statement to get
      the discussion started:

      " I still know of language schools which are reluctant to employ non-native
      speaking teachers of English. If you were the principal of a language
      school, would you also give priority to natives?"

      Well, would you or wouldn't you - and why?

      The official start of the discussion is on Monday, but there is nothing to
      stop you posting right now if you have an opinion to share.

      -------

      If you are not a member of the YLTSIG list and wish to join in just send an
      empty message (it will be dealt with by a computer not a person) addressed
      to:

      **

      * younglearners-subscribe@yahoogroups.com<Subscribe%3Ayounglearners-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>
      *

      **

      *and then post to the address you will be provided with.*

      **

      *-------------*

      IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS just write to me at:

      djn@...

      giving as the subject line DISCUSSION

      --
      *

      Dennis Newson

      Formerly University of Osnabrueck, GERMANY
      **

      Committee member | Discussion List Manager IATEFL YLT SIG

      Creator: YLTSIG NING | http://ylandtsig.ning.com/

      Winner British Council ELT 05 Innovation Award

      Unrepentant grammarophobe

      YLTSIG Website: http://www.yltsig.org

      Yahoogroups: Subscribe:
      younglearners-subscribe@yahoogroups.com<Subscribe%3Ayounglearners-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>