Suggesting a proper tool

  • anisoara_pp
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6 10:21 AM
      Dear Webheads,
      I am teaching a group of students in Tourism, Restaurants and Hospitality and would like to ask them to work on a project in the field.
      Could you suggest a simple tool that combines film/images with voice? except for Voice Thread which we've already used?

      Gratefully,
      Anisoara
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7 4:50 AM
        Dear Anisoara,

        You can look into RIA (Rich Internet Applications) from CLEAR (Center for
        Language Education And Research). Register for free and look into the RIA
        page for both audio and video tools.
        http://clear.msu.edu/

        I suggest you also look at the samples in this page.
        http://clear.msu.edu/teaching/online/ria/samples.php

        Winkball may also help.
        http://www.winkball.com/

        Hugs, Teresa

        Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2010 5:21 PM
        Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] Suggesting a proper tool

        > Dear Webheads,
        > I am teaching a group of students in Tourism, Restaurants and Hospitality
        > and would like to ask them to work on a project in the field.
        > Could you suggest a simple tool that combines film/images with voice?
        > except for Voice Thread which we've already used?
        >
        > Gratefully,
        > Anisoara
      • Nergiz
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7 6:29 AM
          Hi Anisoara

          There are so many tools out there. It would help to know why you need an alternative to Voicethread. Does Voicethread lack a feature you need? Is it too complicated? What exactly do you want your students to (be able to) do with this tool?.

          Best

          Nergiz
        • ElizabethHS
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7 12:55 PM
            In addition to Tere's suggestion, you might want to look at some of the sites linked from this blog:
            <http://blueblots.com/tools/20-free-online-video-editing-tools/>
            Lots of video editors can handle still photos also.

            Bien also has a list of photo/image editors:
            <http://blueblots.com/tools/50-list-of-free-online-photo-editing-tools/>

            But you may need to record separate voice files on your computer with a tool like Audacity <http://www.audacity.sourceforge.net> and then upload them to the video editor.

            (Mind the spaces Yahoo inserts. And thanks to Mbarek for the tips for these links!)

            Cheers--
            --Elizabeth

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "anisoara_pp" <anisoara_pp@...> wrote:

            > Dear Webheads,
            > I am teaching a group of students in Tourism, Restaurants and Hospitality and would like to ask them to work on a project in the field.
            > Could you suggest a simple tool that combines film/images with voice? except for Voice Thread which we've already used?
            >
            > Gratefully,
            > Anisoara

          • anisoara_pp
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7 10:01 PM
              Thank you, Teresa, for taking your very precious time to gather the information and examples.
              I do appreciate it as I do appreciate all the great ideas I read on this list.
              Anisoara
            • anisoara_pp
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 8 2:20 PM
                Hi Nergiz,
                Thank you for your interest and desire to help. I have used VT with the same students during their General English courses and it was quite successful as students had to collaborate. Now, besides intending to provide them with a new tool, I would like to explore a more film-like, one-author tool as they are evaluated on individual project basis.
                Kind regards,
                Anisoara
                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Nergiz" <k.ergiz@...> wrote:

                > Hi Anisoara
                >
                > There are so many tools out there. It would help to know why you need an alternative to Voicethread. Does Voicethread lack a feature you need? Is it too complicated? What exactly do you want your students to (be able to) do with this tool?.
                >
                > Best
                >
                > Nergiz

              • anisoara_pp
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 8 2:26 PM
                  Thank you Elizabeth (and Mbarek) for the links which I will definitely explore. I know Audacity, therefore voice recording will not represent a problem.
                  I am already looking forward to using myself and then deciding which one/ones to use with my students.
                  Best wishes to you all,
                  Anisoara