Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Grouply

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
      This is a subject to which I have given some thought.

      One or two of my thoughts went into this article called "The Ning Thing"
      http://www.tesl-ej.org/wordpress/issues/volume14/ej53/ej53int/

      The definitive crowd sourced document on the topic was seeded by Alec Couros
      here:
      http://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1OR38ADYxjiSjMGn5M2q_nnerR98jd5unoqvOdRHK8GE&hl=en#

      I tracked some of my attempts to recoup my ning communities here
      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DH-g7fxaEPyS5vPZXI91UT3XaXNh0MvBRX1LTrahppg/edit?hl=en#

      Grouply was the best as far as allowing migration from Ning with a community
      intact. Posterous was a close competitor, promising to design tools that
      would match competition on many fronts. It was thanks to posterous that I
      managed to save my Ning blogs. But this was most useful only at the time.

      Now, if I were to start a new community, the only reason I might choose
      Grouply is that it provides a layer of social depth to a YahooGroup
      community. The two can remain separate but interact with one another in
      ways that might be useful to members. Also Grouply supports educators with
      added features that they normally charge for. They do often send digests and
      updates but these can be ignored or archived.

      It seems I went from Ning to Grouply so I really haven't tried any of the
      other tools apart from Posterous in a serious way with online communities.
      If anyone has any hands on post experiential recommendations it would be
      nice to hear them.

      Vance