Help with software

  • Maria Irene Albers
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 25, 2010
      Dear Teadira and Mike,

      Thanks a lot for your prompt response.

      I tried SurveyMonkey, but for free it only allows 10 items, and I have 32. I
      haven't tried Google docs for this purpose.

      Cheers,

      María Irene Albers de Urriola
      Departamento de Idiomas Modernos
      Facultad de Ciencias de la Educación
      Universidad de Carabobo

    • Dennis O
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 25, 2010
        Hi, Michael--and everyone.

        I've used Survey Monkey quite a bit, and I like it. The only problem I have is that if I want to be able to use some of its features, I have to upgrade to a pro or unlimited account (which both offer offer more questions than are possible with the free version (it has a limit of 10) and also show more than 100 responses (the cap on the free version).

        I've used Google Docs, but not for surveys. From what I can tell from the explanatory info furnished by Google, however, it seems that Google-Doc surveys might work quite well. I'll be very interested to hear the experience of anyone here who has used Google Doc for this purpose.

        Best wishes--

        Dennis in Phoenix

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com (message #26793), Michael wrote:

        Maria - Google Docs is a great idea as Teadira
        suggested. Another option might be one of the
        free survey tools like Survey Monkey -
        http://www.surveymonkey.com/ Could anyone comment
        on the value of one versus the other? I've used
        free survey tools often for this purpose, but not Google Docs.

        - Michael

        8< - - - snip - - - >8
      • Holly Dilatush
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 25, 2010
          Maria, all,
          I have used Zoomerang and Survey Monkey (have not tried Google Survey tool),
          have had colleagues recently recommend Survey Builder and ProProfs
          Here's a link to tags I have in Diigo: <<
          http://www.diigo.com/user/blogblossoms/surveys>>

          SurveyMonkey is still my hands-down favorite, but unless you have access to
          the pro version, it is definitely limited.
          Holly
          re:

          > I tried SurveyMonkey, but for free it only allows 10 items, and I have 32.
          > haven't tried Google docs for this purpose.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > María Irene Albers de Urriola

        • Sasa
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 26, 2010
            Hi all,

            Since I started Google docs options to create online forms I no longer use Survey monkey. Why?

            - Google forms has all the functionality of the free Survey Monkey
            - plus the answers are automatically stored in a Google spreadsheet so you can play on with the data at will and share what you have at will in a simple way (publish,....)
            - you can simply embed your google form in to a website/blog/...
            - it allows to make changes to the form while in use and keep collecting answers in the same spreadsheet (am I the only one who finds mistakes the minute the thing is shared online?)...
            - it's free and unlimited....
            - you determine privacy and everything.... like in other google apps

            So Google forms is what i use now.

            For example - Here's my plan to collect answers via Google form for a graffiti video (inspired by Carla and Ronaldo's animoto experiment) - my form is embedded in the Walls Talking project wiki, (i haven't shared it with my group yet - there is also a link to the spreadsheet where one can check the pooled answers while they are being gathered... so far there is only my suggestion there. This is where you can check it out:
            http://listentothewalls.pbworks.com/#Sa%C5%A1asCollaborativevideoidea

            I'm sharing this example because it illustrates some of the features mentioned above that I'm not sure (the free) Suvey Monkey includes...
            ...if you have a minute however and like graffiti, you are also most welcome to fill it in ;-) my students will be pleasantly suprised once we start working on it to find among their answers also answers from the web(heads) :-).

            Once I collect enough answers I hope to create a video featuring many lovely contributions (appropriately credited) to the walls talking site (http://wallstalking.org/)and flickr group (http://www.flickr.com/groups/wallstalking/)from nice people from all sorts of places .

            Hugs,
            Sasa
          • Ingrid Braband
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 26, 2010
              Hi all, hi Sasa,

              I can only second Sasa's statements and encourage you to use Google forms.
              It is really not very difficult to use and you have many options. I use it
              to get some information about the ICT-skills of participants before a
              seminar. The questions and answers are in German but you can see what is
              possible:
              http://ingridhv.blogspot.com/

              Best wishes
              Ingrid

            • Maria Irene Albers
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 26, 2010
                Dear Dennis,

                I've faced the very same situation you had with Survey Monkey. I've used Google
                docs but with different purposes, I'll let you know about my experience with it.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 26, 2010
                  Dear Holly,

                  Thanks a lot for your suggestion, I'll try it, and let you know about my
                  experience with it.

                  Greetings,

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 26, 2010
                    Hello Ingrid,

                    Danke schön.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 26, 2010
                      Hi Sasa,

                      Your guidelines are very helpful, and encouraging.

                      Greetings,

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 27, 2010
                        Sasa, Rita, Bee, and Carla--

                        Wow! Your collaborative project at Walls Talking is just terrific! This is an amazing example of how collaboration can create truly meaning Web resources and lessons for students with a global connection.

                        I do hope you will do a speed-geek event for Webheads explaining more about how the project is developing.

                        Thanks so much for sharing!

                        --Elizabeth HS

                        ________________________________

                      • Sasa
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 27, 2010
                          Thank you, dear Elizabeth, for your kind words :-) - and of course BIG thanks to lovely lovely webheads and our students, and iEARNers, SDUTSJ friends, eTwinners, suprise drop-ins from here and there... for breathing a life of its own to the project - activity on site varies - sometimes there is more sometimes less, but photos generally keep dropping in and the pool is getting bigger :-) and every now and then other activities sprout - I like to think that we are building something meaningful that builds on previous contributions and can nicely be reused for further nice purposes - hence also the project wiki we started developing last year with Rita and others
                          http://listentothewalls.pbworks.com/#SharingIdeasandFollowupActivities

                          My hope this year (outlined in the wiki above together with other ideas) is in addition to collecting graffiti images and views and comments with my groups to also reuse some of these shared images by creating BHL Motivator posters (inspired by Bee's student creations) and by creating a collaborative Animoto video Carla and Ronaldo's way - both activities should make a useful practice in attribution of authorship and putting cc principles in practice - we'll see what comes out of it.
                          Anyone interested warmly welcome, we will keep sharing images and views for as long as there is interest but now we also have a large pool to play with. :-)

                          Hugs,
                          Sasa

                          http://wallstalking.org/Home.mvc/About

                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "ElizabethHS" <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:

                          > Sasa, Rita, Bee, and Carla--
                          >
                          > Wow! Your collaborative project at Walls Talking is just terrific! This is an amazing example of how collaboration can create truly meaning Web resources and lessons for students with a global connection.
                          >
                          > I do hope you will do a speed-geek event for Webheads explaining more about how the project is developing.
                          >
                          > Thanks so much for sharing!
                          >
                          > --Elizabeth HS

                        • Michael Coghlan
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 27, 2010
                            Sasa - I'd also like to congratulate you on what
                            looks like a great project. (I only knew about
                            the Flickr part.) And I want to thank you too for
                            sharing the info about how Google Docs can be
                            used as a survey tool. I didn't know about that.

                            - Michael

                            ----------

                            At 08:49 AM 28/10/2010, you wrote:

                            >Thank you, dear Elizabeth, for your kind words
                            >:-) - and of course BIG thanks to lovely lovely
                            >webheads and our students, and iEARNers, SDUTSJ
                            >friends, eTwinners, suprise drop-ins from here
                            >and there... for breathing a life of its own to
                            >the project - activity on site varies -
                            >sometimes there is more sometimes less, but
                            >photos generally keep dropping in and the pool
                            >is getting bigger :-) and every now and then
                            >other activities sprout - I like to think that
                            >we are building something meaningful that builds
                            >on previous contributions and can nicely be
                            >reused for further nice purposes - hence also
                            >the project wiki we started developing last year with Rita and others
                            ><http://listentothewalls.pbworks.com/#SharingIdeasandFollowupActivities>http://listentothewalls.pbworks.com/#SharingIdeasandFollowupActivities
                            >
                            >My hope this year (outlined in the wiki above
                            >together with other ideas) is in addition to
                            >collecting graffiti images and views and
                            >comments with my groups to also reuse some of
                            >these shared images by creating BHL Motivator
                            >posters (inspired by Bee's student creations)
                            >and by creating a collaborative Animoto video
                            >Carla and Ronaldo's way - both activities should
                            >make a useful practice in attribution of
                            >authorship and putting cc principles in practice
                            >- we'll see what comes out of it.
                            >Anyone interested warmly welcome, we will keep
                            >sharing images and views for as long as there is
                            >interest but now we also have a large pool to play with. :-)
                            >
                            >Hugs,
                            >Sasa
                            >
                            ><http://wallstalking.org/Home.mvc/About>http://wallstalking.org/Home.mvc/About
                            >

                            >--- In
                            ><mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com,
                            >"ElizabethHS" <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > Sasa, Rita, Bee, and Carla--
                            > >
                            > > Wow! Your collaborative project at Walls
                            > Talking is just terrific! This is an amazing
                            > example of how collaboration can create truly
                            > meaning Web resources and lessons for students with a global connection.
                            > >
                            > > I do hope you will do a speed-geek event for
                            > Webheads explaining more about how the project is developing.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks so much for sharing!
                            > >
                            > > --Elizabeth HS

                          • Sasa
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 28, 2010
                              Michael, I think I need to congratulate you webheads for showing me the way and then saying nice words when I play with what I learn from you.
                              Thank YOU so much for being part of this!

                            • Carla arena
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 28, 2010
                                Michael and Webheads,

                                As sasa mentioned, Google forms is a very powerful tool. We've been using it
                                for surveys and even enrollments in our online courses, for it gives us
                                timestamp, all the info we need, plus it keeps everything organized on an
                                online spreadsheet that can be easily downloaded. Even for our school
                                events, we use it for polls. It works really well. Plus, it can be easy
                                shared with a group of collaborators.

                                Cheers from sunny Brasilia,
                                Carla
                                EVO Coordinating Team
                                Digital Storytelling Group
                                http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com
                                Contributor of http://pocketcultures.com

                                On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...>wrote:

                                > Sasa - I'd also like to congratulate you on what
                                > looks like a great project. (I only knew about
                                > the Flickr part.) And I want to thank you too for
                                > sharing the info about how Google Docs can be
                                > used as a survey tool. I didn't know about that.
                                >
                                > - Michael

                              • Maria Irene Albers
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 1 2:07 PM
                                  Dear all,
                                  I wish everybody is OK. For those in Canada, happy Canada Day.

                                  A co-worker needs some help with a software to determine lexical and gramatical complexity of the written text. Do you know if there is one, if so please let me know.

                                  Regads,

                                  María Irene Albers de Urriola
                                  Departamento de Idiomas Modernos
                                  Facultad de Ciencias de la Educación
                                  Universidad de Carabobo

                                • ElizabethA
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 2 1:52 AM
                                    Just pop the text in here http://www.lextutor.ca/vp/eng/
                                    and she'll be amazed at the lexical analysis :-)
                                    ElizA