Re: [evonline2002_webheads] TAPPED IN tours and tips and /home

  • Shunichiro Ito
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2002
      Hi,

      I regret if some members mistakenly believe Tapped In
      is a chaotic chat place. Many scheduled meetings I
      have attended as its member in the past two years have
      been well moderated and orderly discussion meetings
      ususally with an invited speaker in addition to a
      group leader.

      Webheads are very socially active group and wherever
      they meet coversations tend to be lively and at tend
      to be chaotic. But please don't mistake Tapped In to
      be always chaotic.

      In my understanding MOO and MUVE are different from
      uncontrolled chat environments. And if a teacher
      prepares well, students could experience interactive
      communication with truly authentic audience.

      I brought about 20 students to Tapped In several times
      prior to January meetings. Meeting Vance, Dan Blitz,
      JamesSi, Rachel and her students were the culmination
      of their year of learning to communicate via CMC.
      Judging from their later comments they enjoyed it and
      wanted to have had more such opportunities.

      It is up to me to improve future Tapped In sessions.
      I'd have one or two tachers to a meeting so students
      will not be too hard pressed for quick interaction.
      It may be necessary to set a topic for each meeting
      and make them familiar with required vocabulary. It
      will not be an uncontrolled chat.

      With the text messages very close to sponken
      expressions, some ESL/EFL teachers have found MOO
      dialogs to be an effective means of learning
      coversational English. I will continue to incorporate
      it in my year 2002 syllabus.

      Shun Ito
      Bunkyo Women's College
      Tokyo