Re: Second Life – The Long Goodbye « That'SLife

  • eurominuteman
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2010
      All items and arguments are supported by raw data extracted from ERIC database.

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "eurominuteman" <james.oreilly@...> wrote:

      > Second Life – The Long Goodbye « That'SLife
      > http://slife.dudeney.com/?p=446
      >
      > Very nicely written and a correct quality analysis about the
      > status quo... Yet, may I point to more...
      >
      > Check the Editor's Pick, left column about unspoken remedy
      > strategies from an industrial viewpoint > Kaizen...
      >
      > http://3d-immersive-learning-quality.grouply.com/
      >
      > Thanks, James

    • eurominuteman
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2010
        Hello,

        A piece of feedback published at another location in Facebook:

        Immersive Worlds Tool Ranking
        http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119988641350568

        Marcus Speh Birkenkrahe wrote: very interesting. my comment on the site: "thanks for writing this article - the personal perspective, the walk through time - very useful. i've been in SL since 2007 and only just began teaching this spring. class of 20 students, no SL experience, viewer 2, many with nothing more than UMTS sticks. value-add: this class could not have met in real life. results: smashing. we're on 2 islands since earlier this year and i am looking forward to doing a lot more with this. however: there must be a value-add - none of my colleagues will follow me into virtuality just because it's there and it's pretty. good luck with your endeavours!"

        My response:

        Those limiting restrictions of K12 pedagogy ways did not result to
        be helpful if you consider the downfall of the Teen Grid, which was
        operating within an industrial domain... Industrial andragogy ways
        need to be interfaced and handled with more concern and weight on
        the Main Grid...

        Indeed, its a grace that the Webheads operate beyond the mentioned
        limiting focus, and inclusively endorse and support a "myriad of
        educators" by "forming and maintaining robust online communities".

        http://www.webheadsinaction.org/about
        http://evonline2002-webheads.grouply.com/

        Inclusiveness and Dialog are basic quality principles.

        Thanks, James

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "eurominuteman" <james.oreilly@...> wrote:

        > All items and arguments are supported by raw data extracted from ERIC database.
        >

        > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "eurominuteman" <james.oreilly@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Second Life – The Long Goodbye « That'SLife
        > > http://slife.dudeney.com/?p=446
        > >
        > > Very nicely written and a correct quality analysis about the
        > > status quo... Yet, may I point to more...
        > >
        > > Check the Editor's Pick, left column about unspoken remedy
        > > strategies from an industrial viewpoint > Kaizen...
        > >
        > > http://3d-immersive-learning-quality.grouply.com/
        > >
        > > Thanks, James

      • eurominuteman
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2010
          Hello,

          More feedback received:

          Michael Russell writes: "‎*speechless* but very interesting - thanks for sharing James! Peace!"

          Michael Russell writes: "Thanks for the links, James - very cool! - and thanks for sharing once again; peace!"

          Milena Hanusek writes: "I do agree with everything included in the article "Second Life – The Long Goodbye « That'SLife". Being an educator in either SL or TSL is extremely difficult. Sometimes it is very hard to create and lead an activity there. That's why I do believe everything is going in the right direction now... hope so.."

          My response:

          Nonetheless, the Teen Grid will fall... and further industrial blindness on the Main Grid is a risk.

          I perceive the new LL direction to be more right, but 70% of the previous staff are now in a catch up process after losing ground to use case competitors, and technological progress.

          The industrial blindness of LL AND many SL residents was/is a risk and costed/costs jobs.

          Those legacy residents in blaming and flaming mode about Viewer 1 and 2 need to know that "Viewer 3 - browser-based" was there in 2009 by use case competitors, like www.venuegen.com, and that now even newer tools are available. Just compare this:
          http://3d-immersive-learning-quality.grouply.com/message/78

          Thanks, James

          P.S.

          Second Life Statistical Charts (check the red graph: Monthly percentage growth of premium accounts > negative growth since mid-2008)
          http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/sl-statistical-charts/

          After Frustrations In Second Life (2010)
          http://chronicle.com/article/After-Frustrations-in-Second/64137/

          SecondNature leaving Second Life (2010)
          http://www.nature.com/secondnature/index.html