Ning Network Archiver

  • Rita
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 8, 2010
      Hi, former Ningers,

      After a lot of trial-and-error re how to save my two Ning classblogs, I've finally managed to do two things: house my Ning blogs postings on Grouply and download my stds' videos through the Ning Network Archiver, an option offered by Ning. The videos were downloaded as .fvl files, and then I've converted them to .avi using Zamzar online.

      Despite having "saved" most of the content I had in both classblogs, I can say "nothing is ever the same", but it's something. We cannot trust free stuff to last forever!

      Hope all former Ningers have also managed to save their stuff, as the Ning deadline is July 20.

      Rita
    • Maria D
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 8, 2010
        Thanks for the reminder, dear Rita! I've also migrated to Grouply but, as the videos I had on my Nings were mostly from YouTube, that hasn't been much of a problem with me.

        What really IS giving me quite a headache is my Edublogs blogs. Early this year, I was puzzled to see ads materialise on the pages. Then I noticed that certain artifacts, like slideshows I'd created and some widgets, stopped working. And Animoto videos would simply not embed. I've spent the first days of my winter hols trying to fix the problem and I've discovered that... all the paths lead to "become pro"

        Honestly, I don't think this is fair. I know that, as you say, we can't trust free stuff to last forever, but one would at least expect a more straightforward attitude from the start.

        Have any of you encountered a similar problem?

        Frustrated Mary :-(

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Rita" <rita@...> wrote:

        > Hi, former Ningers,
        >
        > After a lot of trial-and-error re how to save my two Ning classblogs, I've finally managed to do two things: house my Ning blogs postings on Grouply and download my stds' videos through the Ning Network Archiver, an option offered by Ning. The videos were downloaded as .fvl files, and then I've converted them to .avi using Zamzar online.
        >
        > Despite having "saved" most of the content I had in both classblogs, I can say "nothing is ever the same", but it's something. We cannot trust free stuff to last forever!
        >
        > Hope all former Ningers have also managed to save their stuff, as the Ning deadline is July 20.
        >
        > Rita

      • Nergiz
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9, 2010
          Mary,

          I have the same problem with Edublogs.org. Like you, I noticed that some of my widgets had stopped working and inquired about the reasons. They say it's to prevent spam but that's not the point. I wasn't notified about these changes whereas they never have problems sending other types of notifications concerning their business. Their replies to my emails were not satisfactory.

          I can understand the necessity for some changes but would like to know way in advance about them so I can take measures. I totally agree with you that changing the rules in the middle of the game is not acceptable.

          I think this is a trend that is just starting and more and more now free web 2.0 services will follow the examples set by Ning and Edublogs. I already host one blog myself and it looks like we will have to do more hosting ourselves in the future.

          Nergiz

          > What really IS giving me quite a headache is my Edublogs blogs. Early this year, I was puzzled to see ads materialise on the pages. Then I noticed that certain artifacts, like slideshows I'd created and some widgets, stopped working. And Animoto videos would simply not embed. I've spent the first days of my winter hols trying to fix the problem and I've discovered that... all the paths lead to "become pro"
          >
          > Honestly, I don't think this is fair. I know that, as you say, we can't trust free stuff to last forever, but one would at least expect a more straightforward attitude from the start.
          >
          > Have any of you encountered a similar problem?
        • Carla arena
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9, 2010
            Thanks, Rita, for the reminder.

            Today, I wrote a post about my tools for 2010 and decided to include the
            best tools, as well as the lamest (http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com/) !
            In my case, I voted for Ning as the lamest. I guess no need to explain why.
            So much headache...

            I can see that Edublogs could get some votes as well...such a nice service,
            what a pity...

            Carla
            http://espiraldigital.com
            http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com
            Contributor of http://pocketcultures.com

            On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Nergiz <k.ergiz@...> wrote:

            > Mary,
            >
            > I have the same problem with Edublogs.org. Like you, I noticed that some of
            > my widgets had stopped working and inquired about the reasons. They say it's
            > to prevent spam but that's not the point. I wasn't notified about these
            > changes whereas they never have problems sending other types of
            > notifications concerning their business. Their replies to my emails were not
            > satisfactory.
            >
            > I can understand the necessity for some changes but would like to know way
            > in advance about them so I can take measures. I totally agree with you that
            > changing the rules in the middle of the game is not acceptable.
            >
            > I think this is a trend that is just starting and more and more now free
            > web 2.0 services will follow the examples set by Ning and Edublogs. I
            > already host one blog myself and it looks like we will have to do more
            > hosting ourselves in the future.
            >
            > Nergiz
            >

            > > What really IS giving me quite a headache is my Edublogs blogs. Early
            > this year, I was puzzled to see ads materialise on the pages. Then I noticed
            > that certain artifacts, like slideshows I'd created and some widgets,
            > stopped working. And Animoto videos would simply not embed. I've spent the
            > first days of my winter hols trying to fix the problem and I've discovered
            > that... all the paths lead to "become pro"
            > >
            > > Honestly, I don't think this is fair. I know that, as you say, we can't
            > trust free stuff to last forever, but one would at least expect a more
            > straightforward attitude from the start.
            > >
            > > Have any of you encountered a similar problem?

          • mariel
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 9, 2010
              Hi, Rita, and thanks for the reminder.

              You mention you have "housed" your blogposts on Grouply. How exactly did you do that? Blogging seems to be a "coming soon" feature. I haven't tried the Archiver yet, but it's good to know it does work with videos.

              Best regards,

              Mariel

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Rita" <rita@...> wrote:

              > Hi, former Ningers,
              >
              > After a lot of trial-and-error re how to save my two Ning classblogs, I've finally managed to do two things: house my Ning blogs postings on Grouply and download my stds' videos through the Ning Network Archiver, an option offered by Ning. The videos were downloaded as .fvl files, and then I've converted them to .avi using Zamzar online.
              >
              > Despite having "saved" most of the content I had in both classblogs, I can say "nothing is ever the same", but it's something. We cannot trust free stuff to last forever!
              >
              > Hope all former Ningers have also managed to save their stuff, as the Ning deadline is July 20.
              >
              > Rita

            • Rita
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 9, 2010
                Hi, Mariel,

                If you go to http://blog.grouply.com/ning/ you'll be taken through the process step by step :-)
                Yet, only postings and photos will be easily migrated. If you have YouTube videos it'll be no problem getting them from the original again, but if you have "home-made" videos, as I have, made by my students, then that's a source of concern. The only way out I've found for that is the solution I got to through the Ning Network Archiver --within your Ning space, under Manage My Space--, which allowed me to download the videos after a strenuous trial-and-error process which involved writing to the NIng Help group for assistance, as it seems there was a bug hindering the process.
                I finally have them all in my hard drive, some still as .fvl files, as now Zamzar seems to be having its own tantrums... :-(

                I've seen the summary of your efforts in the Multiliteracies Group, remarkable findings! Thank you for sharing them.

                Hopefully seen you in BA next week,

                Rita
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 10, 2010
                  Dear "frustrated" Mary,

                  I felt just like you a month and a half ago when I tried to embed a couple
                  of videos in my Edublogs blog. It just didn't work, but it did in wikis,
                  etc. Then I emailed support and Sue Waters replied at once. Here's what she
                  said:

                  "Hi Teresa

                  Spammers, who create lots of blogs to promote products, were using the
                  JavaScript for redirects on free blogs. 'No' other blog hosts allows
                  embedding like we have done so far and we've been forced to limit it due to
                  this abuse by spammers. This is why embedding the video isn't working.

                  The key is we still want our users to have this ability but we had to
                  provide it in such a way that the sploggers can't use it.

                  The only solution was to link it to Edublogs Pro and Campus like we had to
                  do with XML-RPC.

                  So what we have done is an Edublogs Pro is automatically able to embed all
                  code including Voicethreads, Teachertube and is able to upgrade up to 50
                  blogs other blogs so that the 50 other blogs can also embed code, access
                  premium themes and their ads are disabled.

                  You can read more about it here -
                  http://help.edublogs.org/2009/09/01/difference-between-free-supporter-and-campus-blogs/

                  We are currently working on a solution for embedding videos on free blogs
                  but it will take some time to be available.

                  Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about this.

                  Cheers, Sue Waters

                  Edublogs Support & Sales Manager"

                  Yes, all paths lead to Pro! Anyway, hope this explanation helps.

                  Hugs, Teresa

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 10, 2010
                    Dear Rita,

                    I had a similar frustrating problem with Zimmertwins.ca, now
                    Zimmertwins.com, and about eight animated movies my students and I created
                    and are in two of our blogs.

                    After trying Camtasia and not being happy with it - complicated in terms of
                    capturing videos online, imho - I downloaded BB Flashback Express,
                    registered for the free license, recorded all ZT movies in my account and
                    uploaded them to my YouTube account. They work just fine. I can now embed
                    the YT code elsewhere - except in Edublogs free version :-( - and...
                    bingo!!! Mind you, this is feedback from the end of May. I hope things are
                    still the same. HTH.

                    Beijinhos, Teresinha

                    > ... If you have YouTube videos it'll be no problem getting them from the
                    > original again, but if you have "home-made" videos, as I have, made by my
                    > students, then that's a source of concern. The only way out I've found for
                    > that is the solution I got to through the Ning Network Archiver --within
                    > your Ning space, under Manage My Space--, which allowed me to download the
                    > videos after a strenuous trial-and-error process which involved writing to
                    > the NIng Help group for assistance, as it seems there was a bug hindering
                    > the process.
                    > I finally have them all in my hard drive, some still as .fvl files, as now
                    > Zamzar seems to be having its own tantrums... :-(
                    > Rita
                  • mariel
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 10, 2010
                      Thnaks, Rita.

                      When migrating to Grouply, I keep getting the "Blogs: coming soon" thing: see http://screencast.com/t/NWI3ZTVlYW. Forums, on the other hand, do port nicely.

                      I did try finally the Ning Archiver and I'm very happy because all the videos made by my students are now "safely" stored in my hard drive as flv flies. Then I simply created Posterous posts through web upload, and I managed to post them without any previous conversion - even a 20 MB video!

                      Ning Archiver was "unable" to download a number of other media files (a few photos and music files, but it won't tell me which exactly so I will need to check one by one manually), and as for the rest I now have a pretty collection of .json files which I cannot run, but I suppose I will eventually find out what they are good for.

                      Warm regards,
                      Mariel

                      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Rita" <rita@...> wrote:

                      > Hi, Mariel,
                      >
                      > If you go to http://blog.grouply.com/ning/ you'll be taken through the process step by step :-)
                      > Yet, only postings and photos will be easily migrated. If you have YouTube videos it'll be no problem getting them from the original again, but if you have "home-made" videos, as I have, made by my students, then that's a source of concern. The only way out I've found for that is the solution I got to through the Ning Network Archiver --within your Ning space, under Manage My Space--, which allowed me to download the videos after a strenuous trial-and-error process which involved writing to the NIng Help group for assistance, as it seems there was a bug hindering the process.
                      > I finally have them all in my hard drive, some still as .fvl files, as now Zamzar seems to be having its own tantrums... :-(
                      >
                      > I've seen the summary of your efforts in the Multiliteracies Group, remarkable findings! Thank you for sharing them.
                      >
                      > Hopefully seen you in BA next week,
                      >
                      > Rita

                    • Maria D
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 10, 2010
                        Dear Nergiz, Carla and Teresa,

                        Thanks for your feedback. It seems you got the same response from the Edublogs people. I still can't see what their point is. To me, it all comes down to whether you're ready to pay or not. :-( But well, this appears to be the new trend. Odd - I had the impression that we were moving in the opposite direction.

                        Anyway, it's great to see that we can come here, share our problems and help each other find the way to repair the damage.

                        Thanks again!
                        Mary

                        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Almeida d'Eca" <tmvaz@...> wrote:

                        > Dear "frustrated" Mary,
                        >
                        > I felt just like you a month and a half ago when I tried to embed a couple
                        > of videos in my Edublogs blog. It just didn't work, but it did in wikis,
                        > etc. Then I emailed support and Sue Waters replied at once. Here's what she
                        > said:
                        >
                        > "Hi Teresa
                        >

                        > Spammers, who create lots of blogs to promote products, were using the
                        > JavaScript for redirects on free blogs. 'No' other blog hosts allows
                        > embedding like we have done so far and we've been forced to limit it due to
                        > this abuse by spammers. This is why embedding the video isn't working.
                        >

                        > The key is we still want our users to have this ability but we had to
                        > provide it in such a way that the sploggers can't use it.
                        >

                        > The only solution was to link it to Edublogs Pro and Campus like we had to
                        > do with XML-RPC.
                        >

                        > So what we have done is an Edublogs Pro is automatically able to embed all
                        > code including Voicethreads, Teachertube and is able to upgrade up to 50
                        > blogs other blogs so that the 50 other blogs can also embed code, access
                        > premium themes and their ads are disabled.
                        >

                        > You can read more about it here -
                        > http://help.edublogs.org/2009/09/01/difference-between-free-supporter-and-campus-blogs/
                        >

                        > We are currently working on a solution for embedding videos on free blogs
                        > but it will take some time to be available.
                        >

                        > Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about this.
                        >
                        > Cheers, Sue Waters
                        >
                        > Edublogs Support & Sales Manager"
                        >

                        > Yes, all paths lead to Pro! Anyway, hope this explanation helps.
                        >
                        > Hugs, Teresa

                      • Rita
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 11, 2010
                          Dear Tere,

                          Thanks a lot for your updating re how you managed with these unpreditable "losses" we're suffering... Good way out! I too, found it hard to get to a reliable converter until I tried Zamzar once again, though I had to be patient since one day it would do the trick, the other it wouldn't..., and I had many short videos to convert. It didn't occur to me that I could have them uploaded to my YouTube and then embed their code whenever I needed it.
                          On the other hand, now I feel it would be falling again into "relying on YT"...

                          Well, we ARE managing, resourceful Webheads :-)

                          Hugs, Tere, wishing you were also with us next week,

                          Rita

                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Almeida d'Eca" <tmvaz@...> wrote:

                          > Dear Rita,
                          >
                          > I had a similar frustrating problem with Zimmertwins.ca, now
                          > Zimmertwins.com, and about eight animated movies my students and I created
                          > and are in two of our blogs.
                          >
                          > After trying Camtasia and not being happy with it - complicated in terms of
                          > capturing videos online, imho - I downloaded BB Flashback Express,
                          > registered for the free license, recorded all ZT movies in my account and
                          > uploaded them to my YouTube account. They work just fine. I can now embed
                          > the YT code elsewhere - except in Edublogs free version :-( - and...
                          > bingo!!! Mind you, this is feedback from the end of May. I hope things are
                          > still the same. HTH.
                          >
                          > Beijinhos, Teresinha
                          >

                          > > ... If you have YouTube videos it'll be no problem getting them from the
                          > > original again, but if you have "home-made" videos, as I have, made by my
                          > > students, then that's a source of concern. The only way out I've found for
                          > > that is the solution I got to through the Ning Network Archiver --within
                          > > your Ning space, under Manage My Space--, which allowed me to download the
                          > > videos after a strenuous trial-and-error process which involved writing to
                          > > the NIng Help group for assistance, as it seems there was a bug hindering
                          > > the process.
                          > > I finally have them all in my hard drive, some still as .fvl files, as now
                          > > Zamzar seems to be having its own tantrums... :-(
                          > > Rita

                        • Ibrahim Rustamov
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 14, 2010
                            Hello Rita,

                            I just wish to share my experience migrating from Ning to another
                            platform. I used the Ning Network Archiver to backup my network. Ning
                            Network Archiver both allows to backup Ning network content or just
                            download migration files with .JSON extension. Json files are very small
                            and have information about data location and from where it can migrated
                            to another server. I downloaded all Json files and then migrated to grou.ps

                            Grou.ps did everything for me migrating all my Ning data to their
                            platform and even allow me using custom domain name.

                            Kind regards,

                            Ibrahim