Re: When Digital Doesn't Do It

  • Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2010
      Hi Bee--

      Having torn many books to pieces (to get the weight down, or to put the glossary next to the page where I really need the help), I don't find the argument sufficiently telling:

      "Lovingly handcrafted, the books still capture the feeling of the content, the literal weight of each of the words, and the emotional experience of reading, better than their digital counterparts. And until the digital can do the same, until make-you-cry art and makes-total-sense design are at the heart of all of these products, we will surely remain attached to the physical."

      I can't afford many books THAT beautiful.

      However, I do believe the serious limitation of e-books is in flipping back and forth and writing in the margins. It's hard to scroll back or forth page by page on the Kindle (iPad does it a little better with the fingertips, but it's still page by page), and making an electronic note isn't too bad, but not graphical enough--and you have to look up notes separately and then click to go back to the page where you made it, and so on. Very tedious.

      I'd like an e-book where I can scribble and underline and draw pictures right on the page. So when I flip through it, I'll catch a glimpse of my own contributions to the author's work. Like a real book.

      Thanks for the article!
      --Elizabeth

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:

      > A good article in the Huffington Post
      > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/becky-bermont/when-digital-doesnt-do-it_b_589121.html
      >
      > Warm regards from Brazil,
      > Bee
      >
      > --
      > Barbara Dieu
      > http://barbaradieu.com
      > http://beespace.net

    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2010
        >I'd like an e-book where I can scribble and underline and draw pictures right on the page. So when I flip through it, I'll catch a glimpse of my own contributions to the author's work. Like a real book.

        Check out something called KNO.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kno

        Warm regards,
        Bee

        --
        Barbara Dieu
        http://barbaradieu.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2010
          Hi, Elizabeth!

          A few months ago Sarolta sent a message calling our attention to "Sophie",
          free downloadable software to create interactive books, "networked
          multimedia documents"... I've only seen the video and it sounds quite
          interesting. But the point I want to get to is this feature "Comment frames
          allow easily constructed spaces for discussion inside of books", the only
          thing that comes slightly close to what you'd like. BTW, I'd also like the
          same features in an e-book.
          http://sophiecommons.org/

          Hugs, Teresa