Re: [evonline2002_webheads] website joomla and hot potatoes exercises

  • Sharon Betts
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
      joomla is free - but it is a cms and must be installed on a server - it is
      not a web 2.0 application.
      Sharon

      On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 12:59 AM, nina.lyulkun@... <
      nina.lyulkun@...> wrote:

      > Hi dear Sharon and all,
      >
      > I am wondering if Joomla commercial platform or free?
      >
      > Thank you for mentioning it, Helen.
      > I've never heard about it, perhaps, I will try to play with it also.
      >
      > Nina
      >

      > On 4 June 2010 01:37, Sharon Betts <sharonbetts@...<sharonbetts%40sharonbetts.org>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > It will accept video, but does best with embedding from another site.
      > > I use joomla for several sites that I manage and really like it for a
      > CMS.
      > > Sharon
      > >
      > > On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Teresa Almeida d'Eca
      > > <tmvaz@... <tmvaz%40mail.telepac.pt>>wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi, Helen!
      > > > Hugs, Teresa
      > > >
      > > > Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 10:50 PM
      > > > Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] website joomla and hot potatoes
      > > exercises
      > computer
      > >
      > --
      > Nina Lyulkun (Ukraine)
      > http://tesol-ua.blogspot.com/
      > http://jus-collaboration.blogspot.com/

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
        I don't know if this will be useful, but you can also embed your flash video right into a HP exercise (almost anywhere, such as in the Instructions box), using either a freeware player & code or the YouTube type of embed code.
        Mike M.
        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Betts <sharonbetts@...> wrote:

        > It will accept video, but does best with embedding from another site.
        (snip)
        > Sharon
        (snip)
      • helen m davies
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
          Hi Mike
          thanks for this info - this is the learning curve year bigtime !
          I've managed to embed video ok int HP exercises using flash player and felt
          very proud of myself !!

          I found that the nanogong tool (allows pupils to record and listen via HP
          is great) . I've even seem some great examples of HP exercises - there were
          exercises where you highlighted the parts of the word you thought would be
          accentuated ( is that English or Franglais ?!) very interesting stuff.

          http://eolf.univ-fcomte.fr/index.php?page=technically-interesting-hot-potatoes-pages

          thanks again - I will get back when I've made some more progress !

          cheers
          Helen
          France

          On 5 June 2010 12:55, Mike <marzio-school@...> wrote:

          > I don't know if this will be useful, but you can also embed your flash
          > video right into a HP exercise (almost anywhere, such as in the Instructions
          > box), using either a freeware player & code or the YouTube type of embed
          > code.
          > Mike M.
          >
          > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > Sharon Betts <sharonbetts@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > It will accept video, but does best with embedding from another site.
          > (snip)
          > > Sharon
          > (snip)

        • helen m davies
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
            Thanks so much Ibrahim for this clear tutorial - I imagine it's useful too
            for pointing students quickly to a webpage without leaving your site.
            cheers
            Helen

            On 4 June 2010 18:40, Ibrahim Rustamov <ibrahimjon@...> wrote:

            > Hello Helen,
            >
            > Joomla is good and it is easy to use once you get familiar with its
            > features. You may want to use Wrapper and link your HotPot files folder
            > to your joomla site's main menu. Your hotpot folder main index.html page
            > can be linked using Joomla wrapper and show the main page as like in
            > frames. All of this may sound technically difficult but very easy to learn.
            >
            > I hope this tutorial may help you
            >
            > http://slickwebdevelopment.com/articles/2-joomla-15/2-adding-external-content-using-the-wrapper-in-joomla.html
            > (connect the link removing spaces if there will be any)
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Ibrahim
            >

            > On 6/2/2010 2:50 PM, helen m davies wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Webheads
            > > after many hours of head scratching and speaking angrily to my computer
            > > screen - maybe somebody out there has the answer ?
            > >
            > > I've been trying out my first website (joomla on ovh ) and I'm trying
            > > to get
            > > some hot potatoes exercises onto the site for my pupils.
            > > I know they work ok on my firefox page (audio functions fine) - but I
            > cant
            > > get them onto the site ( just a white page with some of the text visible
            > > ....very frustrating)
            > > I've seen it done before on a joomla site - but is there some major
            > > problem
            > > that I've overlooked ??
            > > After throwing this bottle into the ocean - I wish all webheads a
            > peaceful
            > > night (or day wherever you are )
            > >
            > > Helen
            > > Grenoble France

          • Fernanda Rodrigues
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 9, 2010
              Hi Helen, Teresa and all
              I'm afraid I can't help you. I have no practice with joomla.
              Perhaps you have to upload the files to a server and then link to them.

              Fernanda

              --
              Fernanda Rodrigues <m.f.d.rodrigues@...>