Re: [evonline2002_webheads] website joomla and hot potatoes exercises

  • Ibrahim Rustamov
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
      Hello Helen,

      Joomla is good and it is easy to use once you get familiar with its
      features. You may want to use Wrapper and link your HotPot files folder
      to your joomla site's main menu. Your hotpot folder main index.html page
      can be linked using Joomla wrapper and show the main page as like in
      frames. All of this may sound technically difficult but very easy to learn.

      I hope this tutorial may help you
      http://slickwebdevelopment.com/articles/2-joomla-15/2-adding-external-content-using-the-wrapper-in-joomla.html
      (connect the link removing spaces if there will be any)

      Best,

      Ibrahim

      On 6/2/2010 2:50 PM, helen m davies wrote:

      > Dear Webheads
      > after many hours of head scratching and speaking angrily to my computer
      > screen - maybe somebody out there has the answer ?
      >
      > I've been trying out my first website (joomla on ovh ) and I'm trying
      > to get
      > some hot potatoes exercises onto the site for my pupils.
      > I know they work ok on my firefox page (audio functions fine) - but I cant
      > get them onto the site ( just a white page with some of the text visible
      > ....very frustrating)
      > I've seen it done before on a joomla site - but is there some major
      > problem
      > that I've overlooked ??
      > After throwing this bottle into the ocean - I wish all webheads a peaceful
      > night (or day wherever you are )
      >
      > Helen
      > Grenoble France

    • Sharon Betts
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
        joomla is free - but it is a cms and must be installed on a server - it is
        not a web 2.0 application.
        Sharon

        On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 12:59 AM, nina.lyulkun@... <
        nina.lyulkun@...> wrote:

        > Hi dear Sharon and all,
        >
        > I am wondering if Joomla commercial platform or free?
        >
        > Thank you for mentioning it, Helen.
        > I've never heard about it, perhaps, I will try to play with it also.
        >
        > Nina
        >

        > On 4 June 2010 01:37, Sharon Betts <sharonbetts@...<sharonbetts%40sharonbetts.org>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > It will accept video, but does best with embedding from another site.
        > > I use joomla for several sites that I manage and really like it for a
        > CMS.
        > > Sharon
        > >
        > > On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Teresa Almeida d'Eca
        > > <tmvaz@... <tmvaz%40mail.telepac.pt>>wrote:
        > >
        > > > Hi, Helen!
        > > > Hugs, Teresa
        > > >
        > > > Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 10:50 PM
        > > > Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] website joomla and hot potatoes
        > > exercises
        > computer
        > >
        > --
        > Nina Lyulkun (Ukraine)
        > http://tesol-ua.blogspot.com/
        > http://jus-collaboration.blogspot.com/

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
          I don't know if this will be useful, but you can also embed your flash video right into a HP exercise (almost anywhere, such as in the Instructions box), using either a freeware player & code or the YouTube type of embed code.
          Mike M.
          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Betts <sharonbetts@...> wrote:

          > It will accept video, but does best with embedding from another site.
          (snip)
          > Sharon
          (snip)
        • helen m davies
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
            Hi Mike
            thanks for this info - this is the learning curve year bigtime !
            I've managed to embed video ok int HP exercises using flash player and felt
            very proud of myself !!

            I found that the nanogong tool (allows pupils to record and listen via HP
            is great) . I've even seem some great examples of HP exercises - there were
            exercises where you highlighted the parts of the word you thought would be
            accentuated ( is that English or Franglais ?!) very interesting stuff.

            http://eolf.univ-fcomte.fr/index.php?page=technically-interesting-hot-potatoes-pages

            thanks again - I will get back when I've made some more progress !

            cheers
            Helen
            France

            On 5 June 2010 12:55, Mike <marzio-school@...> wrote:

            > I don't know if this will be useful, but you can also embed your flash
            > video right into a HP exercise (almost anywhere, such as in the Instructions
            > box), using either a freeware player & code or the YouTube type of embed
            > code.
            > Mike M.
            >
            > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > Sharon Betts <sharonbetts@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > It will accept video, but does best with embedding from another site.
            > (snip)
            > > Sharon
            > (snip)

          • helen m davies
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
              Thanks so much Ibrahim for this clear tutorial - I imagine it's useful too
              for pointing students quickly to a webpage without leaving your site.
              cheers
              Helen

              On 4 June 2010 18:40, Ibrahim Rustamov <ibrahimjon@...> wrote:

              > Hello Helen,
              >
              > Joomla is good and it is easy to use once you get familiar with its
              > features. You may want to use Wrapper and link your HotPot files folder
              > to your joomla site's main menu. Your hotpot folder main index.html page
              > can be linked using Joomla wrapper and show the main page as like in
              > frames. All of this may sound technically difficult but very easy to learn.
              >
              > I hope this tutorial may help you
              >
              > http://slickwebdevelopment.com/articles/2-joomla-15/2-adding-external-content-using-the-wrapper-in-joomla.html
              > (connect the link removing spaces if there will be any)
              >
              > Best,
              >
              > Ibrahim
              >

              > On 6/2/2010 2:50 PM, helen m davies wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear Webheads
              > > after many hours of head scratching and speaking angrily to my computer
              > > screen - maybe somebody out there has the answer ?
              > >
              > > I've been trying out my first website (joomla on ovh ) and I'm trying
              > > to get
              > > some hot potatoes exercises onto the site for my pupils.
              > > I know they work ok on my firefox page (audio functions fine) - but I
              > cant
              > > get them onto the site ( just a white page with some of the text visible
              > > ....very frustrating)
              > > I've seen it done before on a joomla site - but is there some major
              > > problem
              > > that I've overlooked ??
              > > After throwing this bottle into the ocean - I wish all webheads a
              > peaceful
              > > night (or day wherever you are )
              > >
              > > Helen
              > > Grenoble France

            • Fernanda Rodrigues
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 9, 2010
                Hi Helen, Teresa and all
                I'm afraid I can't help you. I have no practice with joomla.
                Perhaps you have to upload the files to a server and then link to them.

                Fernanda

                --
                Fernanda Rodrigues <m.f.d.rodrigues@...>