Re: [evonline2002_webheads] website joomla and hot potatoes exercises

  • Sharon Betts
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3, 2010
      It will accept video, but does best with embedding from another site.
      I use joomla for several sites that I manage and really like it for a CMS.
      Sharon

    • nina.lyulkun@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 3, 2010
        Hi dear Sharon and all,

        I am wondering if Joomla commercial platform or free?

        Thank you for mentioning it, Helen.
        I've never heard about it, perhaps, I will try to play with it also.

        Nina

        --
        Nina Lyulkun (Ukraine)
        http://tesol-ua.blogspot.com/

      • helen m davies
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 3, 2010
          Hi Nina , Sharon and Teresa
          many thanks for your info.
          Nina - Joomla is free ! I'm still very much a newbie and getting used to the
          "joomla" way of thinking after having only done blogs and wikis.
          I've managed to embed a youtube video very easily and use a flashplayer to
          put an mp3 file on the page. The real challenge is getting my hot potatoes
          exercises online .....
          I've tried copying the htm file (using notepad++) onto the page and then
          attaching the audio files - to no avail :(( But as this procedure is
          without any techy knowledge - it's a bit hit and miss. I know it's possible
          - but the colleague who did this has vanished somewhere in central China !!

          I've trawled through the baw10 messages and found your message Teresa about
          ninehub.com as a free moodle/hot potatoe host - so I may resort to linking
          pages if I can't find anything else - how frustrating !!!

          but thanks for the help so far everyone - much appreciated !!

          Helen
          Grenoble - France

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
            Hi, Helen and Sharon!

            Thank you both for the info on videos in Joomla.

            Helen, do let us know the "how to" of uploading or embedding HotPot in
            Joomla when you find out. Hope it's soon enough to avoid using NineHub.

            Hugs, Teresa
          • Ibrahim Rustamov
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
              Hello Helen,

              Joomla is good and it is easy to use once you get familiar with its
              features. You may want to use Wrapper and link your HotPot files folder
              to your joomla site's main menu. Your hotpot folder main index.html page
              can be linked using Joomla wrapper and show the main page as like in
              frames. All of this may sound technically difficult but very easy to learn.

              I hope this tutorial may help you
              http://slickwebdevelopment.com/articles/2-joomla-15/2-adding-external-content-using-the-wrapper-in-joomla.html
              (connect the link removing spaces if there will be any)

              Best,

              Ibrahim

              On 6/2/2010 2:50 PM, helen m davies wrote:

              > Dear Webheads
              > after many hours of head scratching and speaking angrily to my computer
              > screen - maybe somebody out there has the answer ?
              >
              > I've been trying out my first website (joomla on ovh ) and I'm trying
              > to get
              > some hot potatoes exercises onto the site for my pupils.
              > I know they work ok on my firefox page (audio functions fine) - but I cant
              > get them onto the site ( just a white page with some of the text visible
              > ....very frustrating)
              > I've seen it done before on a joomla site - but is there some major
              > problem
              > that I've overlooked ??
              > After throwing this bottle into the ocean - I wish all webheads a peaceful
              > night (or day wherever you are )
              >
              > Helen
              > Grenoble France

            • Sharon Betts
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                joomla is free - but it is a cms and must be installed on a server - it is
                not a web 2.0 application.
                Sharon

                On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 12:59 AM, nina.lyulkun@... <
                nina.lyulkun@...> wrote:

                > Hi dear Sharon and all,
                >
                > I am wondering if Joomla commercial platform or free?
                >
                > Thank you for mentioning it, Helen.
                > I've never heard about it, perhaps, I will try to play with it also.
                >
                > Nina
                >

                > On 4 June 2010 01:37, Sharon Betts <sharonbetts@...<sharonbetts%40sharonbetts.org>>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > It will accept video, but does best with embedding from another site.
                > > I use joomla for several sites that I manage and really like it for a
                > CMS.
                > > Sharon
                > >
                > > On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Teresa Almeida d'Eca
                > > <tmvaz@... <tmvaz%40mail.telepac.pt>>wrote:
                > >
                > > > Hi, Helen!
                > > > Hugs, Teresa
                > > >
                > > > Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 10:50 PM
                > > > Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] website joomla and hot potatoes
                > > exercises
                > computer
                > >
                > --
                > Nina Lyulkun (Ukraine)
                > http://tesol-ua.blogspot.com/
                > http://jus-collaboration.blogspot.com/

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                  I don't know if this will be useful, but you can also embed your flash video right into a HP exercise (almost anywhere, such as in the Instructions box), using either a freeware player & code or the YouTube type of embed code.
                  Mike M.
                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Betts <sharonbetts@...> wrote:

                  > It will accept video, but does best with embedding from another site.
                  (snip)
                  > Sharon
                  (snip)
                • helen m davies
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                    Hi Mike
                    thanks for this info - this is the learning curve year bigtime !
                    I've managed to embed video ok int HP exercises using flash player and felt
                    very proud of myself !!

                    I found that the nanogong tool (allows pupils to record and listen via HP
                    is great) . I've even seem some great examples of HP exercises - there were
                    exercises where you highlighted the parts of the word you thought would be
                    accentuated ( is that English or Franglais ?!) very interesting stuff.

                    http://eolf.univ-fcomte.fr/index.php?page=technically-interesting-hot-potatoes-pages

                    thanks again - I will get back when I've made some more progress !

                    cheers
                    Helen
                    France

                    On 5 June 2010 12:55, Mike <marzio-school@...> wrote:

                    > I don't know if this will be useful, but you can also embed your flash
                    > video right into a HP exercise (almost anywhere, such as in the Instructions
                    > box), using either a freeware player & code or the YouTube type of embed
                    > code.
                    > Mike M.
                    >
                    > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > Sharon Betts <sharonbetts@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > It will accept video, but does best with embedding from another site.
                    > (snip)
                    > > Sharon
                    > (snip)

                  • helen m davies
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                      Thanks so much Ibrahim for this clear tutorial - I imagine it's useful too
                      for pointing students quickly to a webpage without leaving your site.
                      cheers
                      Helen

                      On 4 June 2010 18:40, Ibrahim Rustamov <ibrahimjon@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Helen,
                      >
                      > Joomla is good and it is easy to use once you get familiar with its
                      > features. You may want to use Wrapper and link your HotPot files folder
                      > to your joomla site's main menu. Your hotpot folder main index.html page
                      > can be linked using Joomla wrapper and show the main page as like in
                      > frames. All of this may sound technically difficult but very easy to learn.
                      >
                      > I hope this tutorial may help you
                      >
                      > http://slickwebdevelopment.com/articles/2-joomla-15/2-adding-external-content-using-the-wrapper-in-joomla.html
                      > (connect the link removing spaces if there will be any)
                      >
                      > Best,
                      >
                      > Ibrahim
                      >

                      > On 6/2/2010 2:50 PM, helen m davies wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Dear Webheads
                      > > after many hours of head scratching and speaking angrily to my computer
                      > > screen - maybe somebody out there has the answer ?
                      > >
                      > > I've been trying out my first website (joomla on ovh ) and I'm trying
                      > > to get
                      > > some hot potatoes exercises onto the site for my pupils.
                      > > I know they work ok on my firefox page (audio functions fine) - but I
                      > cant
                      > > get them onto the site ( just a white page with some of the text visible
                      > > ....very frustrating)
                      > > I've seen it done before on a joomla site - but is there some major
                      > > problem
                      > > that I've overlooked ??
                      > > After throwing this bottle into the ocean - I wish all webheads a
                      > peaceful
                      > > night (or day wherever you are )
                      > >
                      > > Helen
                      > > Grenoble France

                    • Fernanda Rodrigues
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 9, 2010
                        Hi Helen, Teresa and all
                        I'm afraid I can't help you. I have no practice with joomla.
                        Perhaps you have to upload the files to a server and then link to them.

                        Fernanda

                        On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 13:30:29 +0100

                        --
                        Fernanda Rodrigues <m.f.d.rodrigues@...>