Re: Some questions concerning long-distance teaching

  • Foxdenuk
    Message 1 of 14 , May 26, 2010
      Oops! Sorry, it was late at night. Did I forget to sign my name?
      Anne
      Anne Fox

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Sasa" <sasa@...> wrote:

      > Eh, made a mistake, sorry - it was foxdenuk who just posted about the social classroom site.
      > Saša
      >
      > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Sasa" <sasa@> wrote:
      > Social Media Classroom mentioned by Bee sounds interesting to me. http://socialmediaclassroom.com/
      > > Srecno,
      > > Sasa

    • Sasa
      Message 2 of 14 , May 26, 2010
        Thanks, Anne. :-) I know your name now even if you forget to sign again. Thanks for the great link.
        Warmly,
        Sasa

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Foxdenuk" <af@...> wrote:

        > Oops! Sorry, it was late at night. Did I forget to sign my name?
        > Anne
        > Anne Fox

      • Natasa
        Message 3 of 14 , May 26, 2010
          Wow! Thank you Mike, Holly, Barbara, Dave, Vance, Saša, Anne and everyone who wrote to me off the list. You have really helped me a lot. I realise the task before me is frightening. I was hoping to get the school to help me set up a blended course, not a long-distance one. I have to say I wasn't quite ready for this. However, what frightens me more is if nothing happens and the project fails before it has started.
          Holly, I have joined EnglishCafe.com and am hoping to explore a little this weekend.
          Natasa

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Sasa" <sasa@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, Anne. :-) I know your name now even if you forget to sign again. Thanks for the great link.
          > Warmly,
          > Sasa
          >
          > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Foxdenuk" <af@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Oops! Sorry, it was late at night. Did I forget to sign my name?
          > > Anne
          > > Anne Fox

        • Natasha Jovanovich
          Message 4 of 14 , May 26, 2010
            Dear Natasa

            This is a way forward. Thomas Edison said he had never failed , he was only
            experimenting.
            Btw, good to know that Englishcafe is within Global English. I did one year
            course of blended learning with Ss for Global English and I didnt know that
            EC is part of GE.

            Kudos and fingers crossed! Let me know if I can be of help.
            Natasha

            _____

            Wow! Thank you Mike, Holly, Barbara, Dave, Vance, Sa�a, Anne and everyone

            <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com> , "Foxdenuk" <af@> wrote:

            > > Oops! Sorry, it was late at night. Did I forget to sign my name?
            > > Anne
            > > Anne Fox

          • Carla arena
            Message 5 of 14 , May 27, 2010
              Dear Natasa,

              I've been following the discussion with interest, and I know how you might
              be feeling :-) Some years ago, the same thing happened to me. However, at
              that time, I had just finished taking an online course on Instructional
              Design and also the Online Certificate principles and practice of online
              teaching from TESOL , which helped a lot. 3 years ago, we started our online
              project and now we have some online courses on Grammar, Listening, writing,
              webtools for educators (in moodle), and regular online courses with a
              partner that provides the platform and content. I'd say that the first step
              before you start planning your course and you decide which platform to use
              is to take an online course yourself to see how it feels to be a student in
              the platform. Your course could be all set on a wiki, for example, with
              skype for the interactive part. Another possibility is to invest in
              voicethread for assynchronous practice. With our groups, we use skype,
              voicethread, elluminate to practice speaking.

              Moodle is a simple platform to use and, for students, it structures the
              lessons in a way that it is easy for them to accompany. However, as pointed
              out, it is a bit dull in its looks, but there's always a way to add some
              images, personalize sidebars, etc. Also, remember that it is a walled
              garden. Once the course is over, the content will be the institution's, and
              your students won't keep what they produced with them. So, what I tend to do
              is to mix Moodle with web2.0 tools.

              One thing that you have to ask, even if you are in your own is to have
              technical support. It helps a lot.

              beijos,
              Carla
              http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com

              On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Natasa <natasabozicgrojic@...>wrote:

              > Hello everyone,
              > I had a long conversation with my principal the other day. She asked me
              > whether it would be possible for us to organise long-distance courses of
              > English for young people from small Serbian towns. This would be a
              > humanitarian project to help excellent students who otherwise wouldn't be
              > able to attend English courses. She thinks she might already have sponsors
              > for this, but, while she is willing to give me moral and professional
              > support, I would be on my own as far as the actual course is concerned. I
              > would have to write course aims, the syllabus and the curriculum, choose the
              > platform (Moodle?), choose the materials, put them online� Looks like a lot
              > of work, but I have been looking for an opportunity like this ever since I
              > joined the Webheads.
              > We were thinking of offering a general Intermediate course for now. Our
              > students will probably be aged between 15 and 25.
              > If the project becomes more than just a dream, I will have lots of
              > questions to ask, but right now I don't even know what the right questions
              > are, everything is still in the brainstorming stage. Here are just some of
              > my initial questions and concerns:
              > - Are there any EFL/ESL books or ready-made materials suitable for long
              > distance learning? Or any that can be adapted for long distance learning?
              > - What's the best platform? I was thinking of Moodle, but someone might
              > have a better idea.
              > - If you and your students are not in the same town, how do you practise
              > speaking? Spoken interaction, in particular? Some of my students might be on
              > dial-up connection or have old computers.
              > - If you have taught long-distance and if you wish to contact me and share,
              > that would be lovely. Also, if you could suggest any theoretical or
              > methodology books and articles for me to read over the summer holidays.
              > - My principal, who is a teacher of French, asks whether there are any
              > Webhead "spin-off" groups and forums for teachers of other languages.
              > I know I am asking a lot of questions and I am grateful for any help I can
              > get. And, of course, I'll let you know how it goes.
              > One of my new duties at my school will be teaching other teachers basic ICT
              > and CALL skills, so I might have more questions for you soon�
              >
              > Natasa Bozic Grojic
              > http://lunas994.blogspot.com
              > http://www.netvibes.com/lunas994

            • Natasa
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 4, 2010
                Dear Natasha and Carla,
                Thank you for keeping your fingers crossed for me.
                Natasha, you know what I am facing here and how difficult it's going to be, so your Thomas Edison quote really made my day.
                Carla, you gave me a lot of practical advice. I have used different platforms as an online student, so I suppose that now I need to think about how I felt in them. Eventually, I should teach the students to use different applications for different purposes and to feel at home with them, but for starters I think everything should be in one place (whether it is Moodle or a wiki). I agree - students seem to like Moodle because of its modular layout, though I am personally a PBWorks fan:)
                I will definitely keep you posted.
                Natasa