Thank you, and a request

  • Barb.Sakamoto
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23 2:51 AM
      I was part of BAW09, and Webheads have encouraged me each time I've tried something new online. You all were socially networking before it was trendy!

      I always enjoy reading posts about member successes, and thought I might share some of my own. I didn't start blogging until after BAW--partly because of the pace during the EVO sessions, and partly from intimidation (it looked so HARD!), and partly because I couldn't think of anything to add to the abundance of teacher blogs already published.

      Eventually I did start a blog--Teaching Village. I thought it might be fun to paint a mosaic of what EFL looked like in our various corners of the globe by getting teachers to write about their own experiences. Some great guest posts by these teachers (including our own Jennifer Verschoor) led to gaining a bit of recognition. The most recent is Teaching Village's nomination as one of Lexiophiles' top 100 language blogs in the langauge teaching category--Nelba wrote about the competition earlier.

      Recognition led to me being asked to talk and write about technology--in a series of workshops across Japan earlier this year, in an ongoing column for JALT's Teaching Children SIG newsletter, and as an editorial board member for ELT News.

      I still feel that I'm an odd choice as a spokesperson to be talking about technology in teaching, but I guess my lack of expertise is one of my attractions--sort of, if Barb can do it, anyone can :-)

      So thank you, Webheads, for coaxing me into cyberspace and supporting me once I got there!

      Now, my request!

      I've just started a new series on my blog: High Tech Ideas for Low Tech Classrooms (http://www.teachingvillage.org/). Most of the classes I visit do not have computers or Internet available. But, most of the teachers I talk with do have access to the Internet at home, and would love to be able to take advantage of technology tools in their classrooms.

      This new series is set to explore ways to bring web tools into low tech classrooms. Since I don't know any group of people more tech-savvy than Webheads, I'm hoping that a few of you will take on this challenge and contribute a guest post.

      I inaugurated the series with a post about VoiceThread projects I did with my own students, in classrooms without Internet, so you can get an idea about what I have in mind.

      So, thanks again for all of the support so far, and thanks in advance for your ideas for high tech ideas for low tech classrooms!

      Barb Sakamoto
      Second Life: Lynn Carlucci
      http://twitter.com/barbsaka
      http://www.teachingvillage.org