Re: Dennis aka Osna Correcting Essays per email attachment

  • Nergiz
    Message 1 of 41 , May 4 11:01 AM
      Hi Dennis and all

      This is a very interesting topic.

      Here's more about and from Russel Stannard if you are interested in the theoretical/pedagogical side of video recording feedback:

      http://www.hltmag.co.uk/dec08/mart04.htm

      http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=207117

      Dennis, you should aim at short recordings. I don't know whether this is a paper that your student has to submit and whether the aim is improving his writing. If there is time for editing and you want to avoid having to highlight lots of mistakes (which might be discouraging), I suggest you help your student self-correct.

      You could do a minimal marking/correction first by only indicating the lines where there is a mistake and maybe also the number of mistakes in that line. This will help your student self-correct obvious mistakes and slips leaving only the real/serious mistakes for you to provide feedback on via screen recording.

      You could do the minimal correction by simply indicating the line numbers or, if you want to give more hints, underline the mistakes and send the document back.

      The advantage of screencasting over audio recording is that you don't have to indicate where in the text you are (e.g. by numbering the lines or mistake) because the student can see where you are.

      Best

      Nergiz
    • Maria D
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 8, 2010
        I can't believe I'll have to miss this memorable event! I'm green with envy :-) The thing is I'm travelling to Salta for the second (and last) week of the winter holidays.

        By the way, if Michael and Vance have some days to spare, they might want to take a look at this site: http://www.allaboutar.com/ard_salta.htm
        Both the north and the south of Argentina are worth a visit.

        Have a great time in Buenos Aires and share lots of photos!

        Mary