Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Stephen Downes in Rosario

  • Helping North
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2010

      Thanks for sharing your feedback Rita! I will join Stephen's talk on Thursday here in Pilar (Buenos Aires northern suburb) I am really looking forward to it!

      Regards to all

      Paula Ledesma

      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2010
        Hi Rita,

        Thanks for your report. I found the photo (searching on Stephen Downes, and
        then 'recent')
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/23354514@N00/4577668229/

        Well done, and good you met him and got some interesting ideas from his
        talk.

        Connectivism as far as I can see explains very well how learning,
        collaboration, project management, takes place in the 21st century but of
        course many of our colleagues (not those likely to read this ;-) are still
        rooted in the century past.

        I am hoping to help curriculum development for EFL colleagues next semester
        and they want students to keep a portfolio, meaning a ring binder. I
        suggested an eportfolio (in addition). Based perhaps in a google doc
        published as a table of contents with links to the items in the portfolio.
        They were listening, but the inevitable questions ... google docs?
        eportfolio? Maybe they could create it in front page. Well, yes, but where
        would they publish it? Publish it? What do you mean? If they made it a
        google doc, they could publish it as they wrote it. Huh?

        We have a ways to go, but they're intrigued :-)

        Having F.U.N.

[...]

      • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2010
          Intriguing project here, Vance. For the grant that I coordinated over the past year and a half (5 groups for 8 weeks each, 99 students total), my colleague and I used a wiki (PB Works) with the students, where they posted first drafts, second/final drafts, lexical notebooks (some done individually, some done in groups), and many other things. I think this would qualify as an ePortfolio site. It actually became the shared site for all the students and at least two of their teachers (we still have a ways to go, too!).

          The drawbacks to the shared wiki included crunch times before assignments were due (only one person could be editing and saving) and having all information deleted accidentally. It is possible to retrieve it, of course, and I had to do that three times.

          Hope the intrigue turns into real e-course work!

          Christine
          Christine Bauer-Ramazani
          802-654-2642
          academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/ <http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>

          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2010
            Christine,

            It's always fun to see your emails and know what you are doing. I continue
            to learn about online learning.

            We are almost finished with a course we hope to turn into an e course on
            Reading Comprehension/Spokes. I've made a PP for each segment and use it as
            the basis for a face to face class so I can get the response and input them
            the class members.

            George and I would love to get together with you when classes are over just
            to catch up.

            And, perhaps, this will be the summer when you and Reza can come for an over
            night in Westport.

            Fran (George, too)

            On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Bauer-Ramazani, Christine <
            cbauerramazani@...> wrote:

            > Intriguing project here, Vance. For the grant that I coordinated over the
            > past year and a half (5 groups for 8 weeks each, 99 students total), my
            > colleague and I used a wiki (PB Works) with the students, where they posted
            > first drafts, second/final drafts, lexical notebooks (some done
            > individually, some done in groups), and many other things. I think this
            > would qualify as an ePortfolio site. It actually became the shared site for
            > all the students and at least two of their teachers (we still have a ways to
            > go, too!).
            >
            > The drawbacks to the shared wiki included crunch times before assignments
            > were due (only one person could be editing and saving) and having all
            > information deleted accidentally. It is possible to retrieve it, of course,
            > and I had to do that three times.
            >
            > Hope the intrigue turns into real e-course work!
            >
            > Christine
            > Christine Bauer-Ramazani
            > 802-654-2642
            > academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/ <
            > http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>

          • vickys162000
            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 2010
              Dear Rita,

              I missed it but will check the recording as soon as I can.
              For all those you missed it, you can find it here

              Slides & audio from yesterday's @Downes talk
              http://www.downes.ca/files/rosario.ppt
              http://www.downes.ca/files/audio/rosario.mp3

              We will be meeting him on Friday, though!

              Best,
              Vicky

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Rita" <rita@...> wrote:

              > A most inspiring talk I was able to listen to yesterday, on Connectivism, by Stephen Downes, who visited Rosario, invited by the local University.
              > The talk, in which he made a point of describing Connectivism as "engagement, with no curriculum, no theory, no body of knowledge", was webcasted live and many people tweeted about it. Stephen was brilliant, a great exponent of the principles we are all after: interaction, usability and relevance, which he explained using metaphores and analogies. The whole presentation was simultaneously translated into Spanish, it was a pity very few EFL teachers attended it.
              >
              > Vance, I approached Stephen (took photo, it's in my Flicker:-)) and asked him whether he would be staying in South America until BrazTESOL, but he isn�t, unfortunately.
              >
              > He gave us all food for thought, yet I guess his theory is very difficult to become "practice". We all know many students will be ready to learn according to these principles, but how to instil them in many others, who lack the natural skills, who need closer coaching, who will never be ready to choose the path by themselves? Me wonders. Maybe it's us, educators, who should start first, as we always say, backed by the institutions. Still, though, many might not manage to organize their own thoughts, or understand what is relevant, or move ahead finding the appropriate road according to their abilities and needs. Mentors will need to be there.
              >
              > No wonder Stephen�s theory is the ideal way of approaching life.
              >
              > Warm regards to all, very proud to have listened to many concepts we keep preaching,
              >
              > Rita

            • vickys162000
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2010
                Dear all,

                I have just realized the ppt is faulty...
                But you can see Stephen Downes session here
                http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6653987

                Vicky

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "vickys162000" <saumell.vicky@...> wrote:

                > Dear Rita,
                >
                > I missed it but will check the recording as soon as I can.
                > For all those you missed it, you can find it here
                >
                > Slides & audio from yesterday's @Downes talk
                > http://www.downes.ca/files/rosario.ppt
                > http://www.downes.ca/files/audio/rosario.mp3
                >
                > We will be meeting him on Friday, though!
                >
                > Best,
                > Vicky
                >
                > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Rita" <rita@> wrote:
                > >
                > > A most inspiring talk I was able to listen to yesterday, on Connectivism, by Stephen Downes, who visited Rosario, invited by the local University.
                > > The talk, in which he made a point of describing Connectivism as "engagement, with no curriculum, no theory, no body of knowledge", was webcasted live and many people tweeted about it. Stephen was brilliant, a great exponent of the principles we are all after: interaction, usability and relevance, which he explained using metaphores and analogies. The whole presentation was simultaneously translated into Spanish, it was a pity very few EFL teachers attended it.
                > >
                > > Vance, I approached Stephen (took photo, it's in my Flicker:-)) and asked him whether he would be staying in South America until BrazTESOL, but he isn�t, unfortunately.
                > >
                > > He gave us all food for thought, yet I guess his theory is very difficult to become "practice". We all know many students will be ready to learn according to these principles, but how to instil them in many others, who lack the natural skills, who need closer coaching, who will never be ready to choose the path by themselves? Me wonders. Maybe it's us, educators, who should start first, as we always say, backed by the institutions. Still, though, many might not manage to organize their own thoughts, or understand what is relevant, or move ahead finding the appropriate road according to their abilities and needs. Mentors will need to be there.
                > >
                > > No wonder Stephen�s theory is the ideal way of approaching life.
                > >
                > > Warm regards to all, very proud to have listened to many concepts we keep preaching,
                > >
                > > Rita

              • Veronica Baig
                Message 7 of 9 , May 7, 2010
                  Hi Rita:

                  I've been struggling with Connectivism of late. I'm part of an eight-week workshop that George Siemens is conducting at Athabasca University for any of our interested staff on "Teaching and Learning in Social and Technological Networks". The hope that he and some others have is that the instructors and learning designers will incorporate some of these ideas into our courses. The reality is that many of the staff are having difficulties with this model--while it's easier to see how this works with an educated and engaged group of participants--finding our way through the maze of information out there (flexible centres of information) isn't always easy. If this method can be challenging for us, then I'm unsure how to make it work with our students. So far, there have been a lot of questions around the subjects of course structure and evaluation, and so far, we have been assured, these issues will become a little clearer as we progress through the course.

                  Veronica

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 11, 2010
                    Rita - thank you so much for posting this - as you say most inspiring talk by Steven Downes - I was able to download the ppt and audio and it was very much JIT for a workshop I am doing for my collegues on the 20th May entitled "Digital Literacy" no less !
                    It has helped me to conceptualise the principles I was intending to put in the openeing presentation .... which, following a suggestion received via twitter, I am going to do as a Petcha Kucha :-)
                    (It's not ready yet :-) ... but in for a penny in for a pound - as they say in Britain)
                    More seriously - this year one year of third year Physics students on a 24hr course (divided into four class groups) each created their own pbwiki - to use as a blog, and with the motivation of 60% of their final mark being given on what the wiki contained at the end of the 24hours (!!!) some of them have produced really creative work.
                    My initial impression (I am bogged down in giving the marks right now) is that, as with any teaching, the "good" ones have really taken advantage of the proposition, but there seems to be hope that the weaker students have done far better than I expected.
                    Well - back to the grindstone ... I have to have finished by Friday !
                    ElizabethA