Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Ning Official Announcement

  • Evelyn Izquierdo
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4 9:56 AM
      Thanks so much, Ibrahim. I had read the article too; but it seems that Ning will only be free for elementary and secondary school teachers, not for non-profit organizations like  VenTESOL, where we had gathered 525 members already. Am I wrong? Perhaps, I am not understanding the announcement very well.
      Hugs,

      Evelyn Izquierdo
      Escuela de Educación
      Universidad Central de Venezuela
      http://evelynizquierdo.wordpress.com/
      http://beyondtheenglishclassroomwalls.blogspot.com/

      Message 2 of 4 , May 4 10:15 AM
        Yes, the announcement is a bit confusing for me too. I think it is good
        to contact if teachers contact Ning and explain about their networks. I
        think If there will be no responses from network creators to the
        announcement, Ning may shut down all of them in July.

        When comparing their plans I see that the cheapest plan "Ning Mini"
        lacks some great features like "Invite friends" which may not be good
        for non-profit organizations to allow their members to invite friends
        and colleagues to join their mission. Only network creators can invite
        members and their number may not exceed 150 which means this plan may
        not work VenTESOL with 525 members. It is better to communicate with
        Ning or better migrate to another alternative platform.

        I administer one educational network (657 members) and one community
        network (452 members). I have contacted Ning to keep my educational
        network open. My community network will migrate to another place or we
        will just limit using existing Joomla Content Management System with
        possible free Community extension and Simple Machine Forum with its
        Simple Portal mod.

        Hugs,

        Ibrahim