Ning Official Announcement

  • Evelyn Izquierdo
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4 9:05 AM
      Announcement
      In July, we will roll-out three new pricing plans and begin phasing out our free service. Many of you chose the Ning Platform to build your communities because it’s the easiest to use, has the most reliable performance and easily scales to hundreds of thousands of members. Our shift to a paid service model will enable us to focus to a greater degree on enhancing the features, performance and services we offer to our paying Network Creators. You’ll immediately see greater control over your network branding, design and member experience. All three plans offer an incredible value relative to our current premium services offerings.

      Read the complete announcement here.

      Evelyn Izquierdo
      Escuela de Educación
      Universidad Central de Venezuela
      http://evelynizquierdo.wordpress.com/
      http://beyondtheenglishclassroomwalls.blogspot.com/

    • Ibrahim Rustamov
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4 9:24 AM
        I have received Ning announcement from them. I have also read this great
        article
        http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/ning-planning-to-remain-free-for-teachers/

        The url tells everything teachers want to know.

        Ibrahim

        Message 3 of 4 , May 4 9:56 AM
          Thanks so much, Ibrahim. I had read the article too; but it seems that Ning will only be free for elementary and secondary school teachers, not for non-profit organizations like  VenTESOL, where we had gathered 525 members already. Am I wrong? Perhaps, I am not understanding the announcement very well.
          Hugs,

          Message 4 of 4 , May 4 10:15 AM
            Yes, the announcement is a bit confusing for me too. I think it is good
            to contact if teachers contact Ning and explain about their networks. I
            think If there will be no responses from network creators to the
            announcement, Ning may shut down all of them in July.

            When comparing their plans I see that the cheapest plan "Ning Mini"
            lacks some great features like "Invite friends" which may not be good
            for non-profit organizations to allow their members to invite friends
            and colleagues to join their mission. Only network creators can invite
            members and their number may not exceed 150 which means this plan may
            not work VenTESOL with 525 members. It is better to communicate with
            Ning or better migrate to another alternative platform.

            I administer one educational network (657 members) and one community
            network (452 members). I have contacted Ning to keep my educational
            network open. My community network will migrate to another place or we
            will just limit using existing Joomla Content Management System with
            possible free Community extension and Simple Machine Forum with its
            Simple Portal mod.

            Hugs,

            Ibrahim