EAL Literacy online

  • igniadek
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2010
      Hi All,

      I work for a non-profit online provider of EAL (English as an Additional Language.) Our delivery model is self-directed - learners engage with modules and lessons at their convenience and pace. Having no time frames, the onus is on the learner to take the responsibility for their own learning and engage with a tutor if they have any questions or want to practice anything.

      The current ratio is 1 tutor to 260 learners, 50 of whom log in to our platform (LMS) every month. In a year's time the ratio is expected to be 1:500. This includes beginners, intermediate and advanced learners.

      During the summertime we are going to add 4 EAL literacy modules to our scope.

      The literacy learners that will be referred to us will be people with little or no educational background, low English skills, especially reading and writing and little or no computer skills. They will be accessing computers in libraries and school computer labs.

      To help them start we will produce videos in various languages using screencasting tools such as JING (www.jingproject.com)

      Our question to the community is HOW can we make this work.
      How else can we support them?
      Have you had any experience with such audience in an online environment?
      Are there any free online resources that are geared toward this group of learners?
      Are you aware of any research done with such audience in an online environment?

      Looking forward to hearing thoughts from the community.

      Iwona
      (www.myenglishonline.ca)