Re: [learningwithcomputers] I need some help!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2010
      Mariela asked the difference between bump and collide.

      My response to questions like this is to point people to concordancers.
      There are several at Tom Cobb's Compleat Lexical Tutor
      http://www.lextutor.ca/ and one that I frequently use is the one out of Hong
      Kong, simple search in English:

      http://www.edict.com.hk/concordance/WWWConcappE.htm

      Here you set search string EQUAL to 'collide' and select a Corpus of text
      likely to contain your word. Why not select several? One after another.

      Try setting the search string to STARTS WITH 'colli' in the Brown corpus and
      you get collided and collision and also Collins, etc. There are some good
      examples here, 'collision course' 'devastating collisions'. Hard to imagine
      devastating bumps.

      Another one you can try is a simple Google search on 'collide' and 'bump'.
      You get all kinds of results, song lyrics, YouTube videos, but enough to
      give you a sense of the difference.

      I have a page on concordancing and text analysis in general here:
      http://vancestevens.com/textanal.htm

      There's an excellent all you wanted to know about concordance at Graham
      Davies's ICT4LT site:
      http://www.ict4lt.org/en/en_mod2-4.htm

      Vance

      ps Is it really necessary to apologize for cross posting? :-)