Re: a two-day experiment in text-free living

  • Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1 7:39 PM
      I like the drift of this whole discussion, David--

      Not having a raft of kids and a camp to put them in, I have over some time been taking mental notes of when and how much I use various technological media (but I am not into texting)and what for. A few conclusions that may ring true for other Webheads, too:

      (1) I do email my husband even though we work side-by-side in one office. There are just some things better read than said (articles from the NY Times, dates of plays and dinner parties, etc.--both "work" and play). We've gotten more in touch with our neighbors since joining a community elist, too.

      (2) I like to email my mom once a day. Too trivial for a phone call, but I want to stay in touch. And I don't enjoy the phone as a medium anyway--nor does she. Email keeps us caught up--closeness at our own time and pace.

      (3) I facebook and/or email my son and daughter-in-law, friends, and siblings several times a week, because fb is their preferred medium. And photos don't work on the phone. It is the essence of social connection--like casual chatting, sharing mini-adventures, sharp retorts and jokes, etc. This is social glue--not the serious stuff, but better in some ways.

      (4) I do almost all my research/work stuff on the Web and with email, so that's a big hunk of time. And it is serious stuff, but not intensely social.

      This life would not be possible without technology--I'm loving it. I suspect other Webheads would show a similar tech profile?

      Good luck on further research on this topic!

      Cheers--
      --Elizabeth HS