Ning -from Re: Which platform for a site with over 700 pages?

  • Beatriz Lupiano
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2010
      Hi Bee,

      I also agree with Carla as to a wiki being best for Mike. I skimmed
      the articles you added, as I'm a member of several Nings and wanted
      to know what risk I was running. It seemed to me that the biggest
      problem might be for Ning creators, not members. Ning is a social
      platform to me, even if there are hundreds of thousands of particular
      Nings. Somebody designed the code for all individual Nings to have
      the same basic features.

      I also got worried about having a profile at Ning.com without my
      knowledge or consent, so I paid the site a visit. The front page
      invited me to create my own Ning, which seemed sensible for a
      "parent" site. I tried signing in rather than signing up and after a
      momentary shock I realised -it's a Ning! Every Ning says: we use Ning
      ID. Of course the parent company recognises me! I was taken to my
      profile. Guess what's on it? A silhouette, not my photo, or my name
      (although it did greet me with a "welcome back Beatriz!" -but, again,
      it's Ning ID. The rest of the profile just listed the specific Nings
      I belong to. That was all. there's a Ning blog and ning.com also
      invites you to "discover ning networks you'll love".

      Perhaps I'm naive and miss a point, perhaps I missed something in the
      articles because I skimmed through them, but it didn't look like a
      takeover -of course the name and platform belong to someone; the
      someone that created it. We try to help our students with their
      critical thinking skills...I'm trying to use mine here bearing what I
      saw on ning.com and what I read in the articles. I'll read the
      articles more carefully, but so far, I don't see much point in
      raising a big alarm.

      Best,
      Beatriz

    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2010
        Hi Beatriz,
        I agree there is a lot of business and technical talk in the articles
        which we do not always understand when we are not closely involved.
        However, let me highlight some points.

        > It seemed to me that the biggest problem might be for Ning creators, not members.
        It is mostly directed at people who are paying fees to have customized
        accounts (if you have paid not to have the NING name but to use the
        platform for your business you would expect some privacy and data
        security and not have the accounts of the members of your network
        displayed on a different platform)

        Even if you are not "paying" (in cash) , the breach in privacy and
        security should also concern people like you who is a network creator
        (by opening a community on Ning, you invite your students and they are
        members of your own network inside the big social network platform
        called NING) . While for you, your student are members, they mean
        figures (DATA) for Ning owners, just like the content you post . What
        is worrying is that all this DATA is being used, sold and transported
        from one place to another without your or your students' knowledge or
        permission. A serious platform is open and allows you to delete an
        account, erasing it completely and export your data/members to another
        one in non-proprietary format. Like Moodle for instance, or Wordpress
        .

        Check the comment of one of the people:

        "A simple fact is that Ning is using my members data without their
        knowledge for their own gain.
        This article expresses the viewpoint of many Network Creators (like
        myself) who not only won’t create any more networks on this platform,
        but are actively trying to leave and can’t take our 12-18 months of
        user generated content with us. That’s the data we were told we own. "

        I hope I have shed some light on this and we can discuss the matter
        further when we meet in BA :-)
        Warm regards from Brazil,
        Bee

        --
        Barbara Dieu
        http://barbaradieu.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2010
          >I'll read the articles more carefully, but so far, I don't see much point
          in raising a big alarm.

          Beatriz,
          No need to raise alarm. It is just important to be aware of what is
          happening so you can decide better how much exposure you are wiling to allow
          and whether your will is respected on the different platforms you have
          chosen to use.
          Another post expressing concern over data ownership and privacy.
          http://petewarden.typepad.com/searchbrowser/2010/03/the-unknown-marketing-databases-that-know-everything-about-you.html
          Warm regards,
          Bee

          --