teresa's russian connection

  • tmvaz@mail.telepac.pt
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 4, 2010
      Dear Webheads,

      I got back home safe and and sound about 18 hours ago after an
      unforgettable 16 days in Russia that took me to remote Yakutsk, in
      Siberia, the first week to give a 5-day workshop on Web 2.0 tools for
      EFL teachers from all over the Sakha (Yakutia) Republic, at the
      Yakutsk State University. You can see two photos and a text (in
      Russian) about the workshop in the university website. (I translated
      it online.)
      http://www.ysu.ru/content/news/news_detail.php?ID=6154

      I was invited by Yakutsk TESOL and its leading members, Natalya, Elena
      and Zarmena in Yakutsk, and Larissa at Purdue Univ., in the USA, with
      whom I had previously collaborated through videoconferencing. I felt
      at home as soon as I stepped off the plane and met Zarmena. Mind you,
      I was nine thousand kilometers away from home in what's considered the
      coldest city on Earth. Here's the workshop wiki that includes work the
      participants did during my morning sessions, as well as fabulous
      collaborations from our dear Evelyn, Larissa and Valentina (in Elista,
      Russia), a very active BaW10 member. I bow to you ladies and thank you
      for contributing very considerably to the great success of the
      workshop. :-))
      http://yakutskmar10.pbworks.com/ (this wiki is a work in progress)

      The warmth and hospitality of the organizers, participants in the
      workshop and everyone else that accompanied me every afternoon on
      non-stop events in and out of the city (I was often away from my dorm
      room for 11-12 hours) is something that will forever hold a "very
      special" place in my heart. I made wonderful friendships and hope to
      promote collaborations with Webheads in Asia and the Americas, the
      most adequate time zones to work with Yakutsk.

      Yakutsk and its people are amazing, genuine, very generous,
      warmhearted and very hospitable. They are extremely proud of their
      heritage, history, culture, natural products, food... everything. It
      touched me deeply. I will be writing about this fabulous and totally
      unexpected experience, so I will say no more at this time.

      The second week was spent in Moscow and St Petersburg, mainly on
      tourism. I had previous connections there, made new friendships and,
      hopefully, future professional collaborations with Natalie Udina
      (introduced to me by our dear Elizabeth - congrats on your award!) and
      Anastasia (???), the Head of the English Dept at the Peoples'
      Friendship University of Russia. Everybody was extremely considerate
      and careful with my well-being, and I was never left unaccompanied. I
      will add a touching detail. I was supposed to meet Natalie at a Metro
      station in the center of Moscow at 10:30 on the tragic Monday morning
      of the terrorist attacks. She called me at 9:30 asking me to stay at
      the hotel, to be on the safe side. She'd keep in touch. She picked me
      up at half past three by taxi to take me to her university to meet
      Anastasia (who had just been re-elected for a second five-year term as
      Head of the English Dept). They gave me a grand tour of the university
      that ended with a lovely dinner in a small univ. cafe and a very
      productive talk about future collaborations. Then Natalie took me back
      to the hotel by taxi. They wanted me to be absolutely safe. I will
      never forget this level of consideration for someone they'd just met.

      In St Petersburg I was accompanied by Maya (a friend of Lena from
      Yakutsk) and Natalia (Ba08 member), two very sweet English colleagues.
      SP is a beautiful city and it's very pleasant to walk in the city
      center.

      This amazing trip has opened up a whole new world!

      Please excuse the long message, but I had to tell you a few things,
      since I just didn't have the time or energy at the end of my evenings
      to get in touch. Just a message home and that was it. BTW, I lost 1.5
      kilos!!! You can imagine the intense activity.

      For those who celebrate Easter, a very Happy Easter to you and your families!

      I'm dying to catch up on Boston TESOL, since I didn't have the chance.
      But I'm so exhausted, though in a very healthy way, that it'll take a
      few days at least.

      Hugs all, Teresa
    • Holly Dilatush
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4, 2010
        What an exciting note, Teresa! Thank you for making the time to share a few
        details with us. So many stories like this remind me of George Siemens
        connectivism ideas and (paraphrased) how we (and those around us, those we
        relate to) are being changed in ways we'll probably never realize... one
        whirlwind trip of yours has changed so many of us!

        Thanks again,
        Holly
        Charlottesville, VA, USA

      • Gavin Dudeney
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2010
          Teresa,

          Having been to - and worked in- Russia eight times in the past four years, I
          hear what you're saying. I've never been so well looked after and had such
          fun times as on my visits to the country. So glad it wasn't just me!

          Gavin

          Gavin Dudeney - Director of Technology, The Consultants-E
          c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
          Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
          http://www.theconsultants-e.com

          Original Online Providers: CertIBET and CertICT - http://tinyurl.com/3s3mm7
          Winners: 2007 British Council ELTON award - http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
          Winners: 2007 Ben Warren Trust Prize - http://tinyurl.com/6yolo4
          Owners: Second Life EduNation sims - http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

          CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2010
            Teresa
            wonderful to hear about your trip ! Thanks for taking the time to tell us.
            Have a good rest and we'll be looking forward to hearing more !
            hugs
            Helen

            On 4 April 2010 17:17, Gavin Dudeney <gavin.dudeney@...>wrote:

            > Teresa,
            >
            > Having been to - and worked in- Russia eight times in the past four years,
            > hear what you're saying. I've never been so well looked after and had such
            > fun times as on my visits to the country. So glad it wasn't just me!
            >
            > Gavin
            >
            > Gavin Dudeney - Director of Technology, The Consultants-E
            > c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
            > Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
            > http://www.theconsultants-e.com
            >
            > Original Online Providers: CertIBET and CertICT -
            > http://tinyurl.com/3s3mm7
            > Winners: 2007 British Council ELTON award - http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
            > Winners: 2007 Ben Warren Trust Prize - http://tinyurl.com/6yolo4
            > Owners: Second Life EduNation sims - http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw
            >
            > CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE
            > This email and any attachments are private and confidential. It is intended
            > for the recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
            > disclosure, distribution, printing or copying of this email is
            > unauthorised.
            > You may not read, use or take any action in reliance on it. If you have
            > received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by
            > replying to this email and permanently delete the email from your computer.
            > The contents of any attachments to this e-mail may contain software viruses
            > which could damage your own computer system. While we have taken every
            > reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for
            > any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should
            > carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.

          • Graham Stanley
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4, 2010
              Teresa,

              thanks for sharing this with us - it sounds like it was a wonderful
              experience.

              Best,

              Graham

            • Susana Canelo
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4, 2010
                Thanks for sharing !!!It's just fantastic. What an experience.!!!!
                 Wow...Webheads all over the world are making it a home...
                A hugSusana

[...]

                Yahoo! Cocina

                http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

              • Hala Fawzi
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 4, 2010
                  Dear Teresinha,

                  I am glad that all went great and more than expected. Thanks for sharing.

                  We'll be waiting for the dozens of pictures to be uploaded soon.

                  Have a rest!

                  Hala

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 4, 2010
                    Dear Teresa,

                    Though we missed you, João, Daf, Vance and many other webheads in Boston, I
                    can see you profited frome every minute you spent in Russian soil with our
                    dear Webheads and friends. It is always comforting to hear such
                    nice accounts that arise from our digital connections.

                    beijocas,
                    Carla
                    http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com

                  • edtec2002
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010
                      Wow, Teresa,

                      What a wonderful experience! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Your wiki would be helpful to anyone else planning to teach about Web. 2.0. So well organized!

                      Chris Jones

                      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, tmvaz@... wrote:

                      > Dear Webheads,
                      >
                      > I got back home safe and and sound about 18 hours ago after an
                      > unforgettable 16 days in Russia that took me to remote Yakutsk, in
                      > Siberia, the first week to give a 5-day workshop on Web 2.0 tools for
                      > EFL teachers from all over the Sakha (Yakutia) Republic, at the
                      > Yakutsk State University. You can see two photos and a text (in
                      > Russian) about the workshop in the university website. (I translated
                      > it online.)
                      > http://www.ysu.ru/content/news/news_detail.php?ID=6154
                      >

                      > http://yakutskmar10.pbworks.com/ (this wiki is a work in progress)
                    • Fernanda Rodrigues
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010
                        Hi Teresinha!
                        What an adventure!

                        Beijinhos

                        Fernanda

                        --
                        Fernanda Rodrigues <m.f.d.rodrigues@...>
                      • Stella Saubidet
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010
                          Congrats, TereÇa!!

                          these Russia teachers could not have chosen a better teacher!!! You are a specilaist and very good professonal. And it shows inthe wiki!!

                          hugs from Argentina (MANY klometres away, too, HA, HA)

                          stella :-)
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010
                            What a fabulous post, Tere, thanks for the links to the wiki (duly bookmarked and tagged) and the Russian site as well, where I deciphered your name and provenance! It sounds like you had a marvelous time and from the looks of that wiki you shared your expertise in a wonderfully clear and organized way.

                            I am happy that you arrived home safe and sound! I missed seeing you at TESOL. Although it was great to see old friends and meet new ones, TESOL seemed strange without you, Daf, and Vance.

                            Hugs,
                            Nina

                          • Beatriz Lupiano
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
                              Dear Teresa,

                              Thanks so much for sharing your brilliant experience in Russia!! And
                              to everyone that contributed to the blog from Boston!!

                              I really appreciate your thoughtfulness and enthusiasm.

                              Beatriz
                            • Maria D
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
                                Dear Teresa,

                                I was deeply moved when I read the account of your experiences in Russia. Your words talk about the warmth of the Russian people, but also about your capacity to inspire and appreciate that hospitality. They must have been delighted to have you there. BTW, the wiki is simply fantastic, so well organized and easy to follow.

                                Mary