Re: Which platform for a site with over 700 pages?

  • Cora
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2010
      Hi Mike,

      The Google sites could be a good option:
      http://www.google.com/sites/help/intl/en/overview.html

      Cora

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <marzio-school@...> wrote:

      > Hi Webheads,
      >
      > Instead of beginning a long Google search as usual to find an appropriate answer to my question, I thought I'd begin right here since several webheads probably already knows the answer.
      >
      > I have to revamp my site. Generally speaking, my HTML is a huge mess. I never learned it in a proper way due to lack of smarts, motivation, and the simple fact that I spend all my time creating its content (video and the interactivity for the video, which includes hundreds of audio files, and thousands of pictures).
      >
      > My site represents the antithesis of W3C validation. Every time I try to improve the validity of the html, there are repercussions which destroy pages completely or make the pages even less valid.
      >
      > My landing page and lesson index page must be completely redone, along with about 55 "lesson index pages". On the other hand, I do NOT have to change approx. 650 exercise pages since they are based on Hot Potatoes.
      >
      > I use my friend's windows server to host the site.
      >
      > So either I hire somebody to do the work (which will probably be too expensive), or I find a ready-made solution, such a a Ning. Can 650 exercise pages (interactive lessons) be integrated into a Ning? Or a different platform? I know that Nings are not designed for this, but is it possible?
      > Or do I have to hire a person or company to redo the important Non-HotPot pages (about 60 pages)?
      >
      > The mess in question is http://www.real-english.com/
      >
      > Thanks in advance to anyone who might have the time to reply.
      >
      > Mike

    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2010
        Hi Mike,
        I'd advise you to have your pages on your own server and platform and
        organize them little by little or as Carla mentioned, get a dedicated wiki
        which allows you to do systematic backup of your material.

        Many of these popular social platforms, like Ning, Facebook and even Flickr
        for instance, practice lock- in, i.e., they do not allow you to export your
        material and leave when you decide to do so. (like in the song Hotel
        California - "'We are programmed to receive. You can check-out any time you
        like, But you can never leave!' ). Also, lots of untasteful stories being
        uncovered around them.

        http://www.chartingstocks.net/2009/03/ning-exposed-tech-company-ning-scams-its-clients/
        http://www.chartingstocks.net/2009/06/ning-to-clients-now-yous-cant-leave/

        Good luck,
        Warm regards from Brazil,
        Bee

        --
        Barbara Dieu
        http://barbaradieu.com

      • Carla arena
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2010
          I agree with Bee that Ning is not the place to keep your material that
          you've been working for so long. You might want to investigate Joomla, too.

          Carla
          http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com

          On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mike,
          > I'd advise you to have your pages on your own server and platform and
          > organize them little by little or as Carla mentioned, get a dedicated wiki
          > which allows you to do systematic backup of your material.
          >
          > Many of these popular social platforms, like Ning, Facebook and even Flickr
          > for instance, practice lock- in, i.e., they do not allow you to export your
          > material and leave when you decide to do so. (like in the song Hotel
          > California - "'We are programmed to receive. You can check-out any time you
          > like, But you can never leave!' ). Also, lots of untasteful stories being
          > uncovered around them.
          >

          > http://www.chartingstocks.net/2009/03/ning-exposed-tech-company-ning-scams-its-clients/
          > http://www.chartingstocks.net/2009/06/ning-to-clients-now-yous-cant-leave/
          >
          > Good luck,
          > Warm regards from Brazil,
          >
          > Bee
          >
          > --
          > Barbara Dieu
          > http://barbaradieu.com
          > http://beespace.net

        • Mary
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2010
            https://www.keytoschool.com/ is a virtual learning environment, and they
            host courses on a Moodle. It is my understanding that you ARE free to import
            and export your content.

            They placed a moodlehub in my domain name, I don't know if that is required.

            You can save files up to 128 MB (Maximum upload size). I don't know if that
            is sufficient for you.
            In addition all of your hotpotato exercises are Moodle compatible.

            You can set a hierarchy of permissions for users (teacher, administrator,
            student).

            It may be a good place to begin reorganizing your content.

            There is a moodle course for beginners and intermediate users starting in
            May at http://integrating-technology.org/

            On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Carla arena <carlaarena@...> wrote:

            > I agree with Bee that Ning is not the place to keep your material that
            > you've been working for so long. You might want to investigate Joomla, too.
            >

            > Carla
            > http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com
            >

            > On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Hi Mike,
            > > I'd advise you to have your pages on your own server and platform and
            > > organize them little by little or as Carla mentioned, get a dedicated
            > wiki
            > > which allows you to do systematic backup of your material.
            > >
            > > Many of these popular social platforms, like Ning, Facebook and even
            > Flickr
            > > for instance, practice lock- in, i.e., they do not allow you to export
            > your
            > > material and leave when you decide to do so. (like in the song Hotel
            > > California - "'We are programmed to receive. You can check-out any time
            > you
            > > like, But you can never leave!' ). Also, lots of untasteful stories being
            > > uncovered around them.
            > >

            > http://www.chartingstocks.net/2009/03/ning-exposed-tech-company-ning-scams-its-clients/
            > >
            > http://www.chartingstocks.net/2009/06/ning-to-clients-now-yous-cant-leave/
            > >
            > > Good luck,
            > > Warm regards from Brazil,
            > >
            > > Bee
            > >
            > > --
            > > Barbara Dieu
            > > http://barbaradieu.com
            > > http://beespace.net

          • Barbara Dieu
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2010
              I have been using http://www.keytoschool.com/ with some of the
              classes at school. It's a service mostly directed at first time
              Moodlers or institutions who want to experiment with the system.
              Moodle is an interesting option as Mary mentions because it allows you
              to have your hotpot exercises and a million of other features. It's
              also open / free and allows you to export your data and network (they
              are not sold out to other firms like some other platforms do).
              See FAQ:
              http://www.keytoschool.com/faq
              Do you sell our data/content to a third party?

              No, this is your data/content and you own the copyright. We will never
              sell your data or content to anyone but of course you are free to sell
              your courses or data/content to anyone you wish.
              Can I take my content elsewhere for hosting, I mean is there some kind
              of lock-in?

              You can always take a backup of your data that you create at KTS and
              there is no lock-in.
              How is data/content protected and secured in our Moodle site and who
              has access to it?

              We rely on Moodle’s security. All FTP/SFTP accounts are secured with
              your passwords. Only KTS staff can access your content or data in
              response of your support ticket.

              Warm regards from Brazil,
              Bee

              --
              Barbara Dieu
              http://barbaradieu.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 7, 2010
                Thank you so much Barbara, Mary, Carla, and Cora,

                After thinking about this for a long time and going to the links you suggested, and studying my Google Analytics, I see that about half of visitors (returning visitors) go directly to a lesson (I suppose users bookmark the lesson that they were last working on). The other half - mostly new visitors, go to the landing page:

                1 - http://www.real-english.com/
                and then then they go to the general lessons index:

                2 - http://www.real-english.com/new-lessons.asp
                and then end up at one of the 70 lesson index pages such as

                3 - http://www.real-english.com/reo/1/unit1.html - and finally click on "exercise 1" which is usually a Hot Potatoes Page.
                Less than 1% of visitors go anyplace else!

                In other words, I think I can afford a professional programmer because I really only have to revamp/redesign those THREE pages (the 3rd page I mention is the same for all 70 or so lessons, and if I have one good model, I could use it myself for all such pages.

                *** So now I'm in the market for a professional html person, preferably a programmer who works in the venerable world of W3C Validation, although that is not necessary if the programmer is a true professional, since Google's pages, for example, never pass the validation test. I guess some programmers REALLY know what they are doing!

                So now my question has changed. ***Who to ask for an estimate?

                Thanks again for your replies!

                PS Bee:
                > (snip) they do not allow you to export
                > your material and leave when you decide
                > to do so. (like in the song Hotel California
                > "'We are programmed to receive. You can check-out any time
                > you like, But you can never leave!' ).

                That's one of the rare songs I have unconsciously memorized, and I was singing it to myself while reading!