Re: [evonline2002_webheads] TESOL Boston Handout on Creating Comic Strips Online

  • Carla arena
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
      Bill, what a pity we didn't meet there! I'm sure we bumped into each
      other...

      Carla
      http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com

    • wmz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
        I regret this, too, Carla. Hopefully, next year.
        I hope you enjoyed the conference and that you are well.
        Sincerely,
        Bill

        Bill, what a pity we didn't meet there! I'm sure we bumped into each
        other...

        Carla
        http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com

        On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 4:51 PM, bill <wmz@...> wrote:

        > Dear TESOL colleague,
        >
        > If you could not attend my workshop on Creating Comic Strips Online to
        > Encourage Writing, Reading and Storytelling at the TESOL Boston 2010
        > conference you can find a handout on my website that lists 21 ways to use
        > MakeBeliefsComix.com in the classroom. Go to:
        > http://www.makebeliefscomix.com/How-to-Play/Educators/.<http://www.makebeliefscomix.com/How-to-Play/Educators/>
        >
        > Some examples:
        > .At the beginning of each new school year have students create a comic
        > strip online talking about themselves and their families or summarizing the
        > most important things about their lives. These then can be read aloud.
        > .Have students create a comic strip story using new vocabulary words that
        > are being taught. Or have them create a comic based on a book they are
        > reading.
        > .Create comic strips in which students can practice such real-life,
        > practical scenarios such as looking for a job or dealing with a school
        > bully.
        >
        > On the MakeBeliefsComix.com home page you can click on a demo to show how
        > the site works. And click on the Teacher Resources button for a video of ESL
        > students at City College in New York talking about how creating online
        > comics helps them learn English.
        >
        > I hope you will try the free educational comics website with both younger
        > and older students to help them improve their English and literacy skills.
        > MakeBeliefsComix allows users to create their own comic strips online; it
        > offer 80 fun characters with different emotions, blank talk and thought
        > balloons to fill in with words, story prompts and printables. Google and
        > UNESCO selected MakeBeliefsComix as one the world's most innovative sites to
        > encourage literacy and reading. It is now being used by educators in 180
        > countries to teach English and other languages. Your feedback and
        > suggestions are very welcome.
        >
        > Yours sincerely,
        >
        > Bill Zimmerman
        > Creator, MakeBeliefsComix.com
        >
        > P.S. My article, ‘’Online Comics: Writing, Reading, and Telling Stories
        > in English,’’ can be read in the new TESOL book, ‘’Multilevel and
        > Diverse Classrooms,’’ as part of its Classroom Practice Series.

        When replying to postings, please delete this footer and extraneous text from
        reply BUT retain info to help retain context :-) http://webheads.infoYahoo!
        Groups Links