hard disk in laptops

  • Maria D
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26, 2010
      Hi All,

      The hard disk of my fairly new laptop has recently broken down - thus preventing me to enjoy the TESOL webcasts :-( Anyway, when I asked the technician why this could have happened, he told me that a possible reason for hard disk failure is moving the laptop while it is on. I don't know how much truth there is in this, but I wanted to share it with you, just in case.

      Mary
    • Nina Liakos
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
        I just got a new laptop (my first) and I admit to moving it while on. It would be very inconvenient to find out that that is a bad idea! Looking forward to reading the feedback.

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Maria D" <marydimonaco@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > The hard disk of my fairly new laptop has recently broken down - thus preventing me to enjoy the TESOL webcasts :-( Anyway, when I asked the technician why this could have happened, he told me that a possible reason for hard disk failure is moving the laptop while it is on. I don't know how much truth there is in this, but I wanted to share it with you, just in case.
        >
        > Mary

      • Brad Jensen -elstore
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 16, 2010
          It is probably a better idea not to move the laptop while the hard drive is
          on, since it consists of disk spinning at thousands of rpm, with heads
          floating over the disks.

          Of course, you can avoid the problem entirely (and have skyrocketing
          performance) by replacing the drive with an ssd - but they are still
          relatively expensive.

          My last several tri[ps, I have left the laptop home and used a netbook with
          an SSD. For the most part I remote desktop to my desktop back home in Tulsa,
          and this works great - I did this in a two week trip to China and never had
          a problem.

          Brad Jensen