Re: [SPAM] [evonline2002_webheads] Re: How to handle cybermobbing and not to look away

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16 10:00 PM
      The opening chapter of Clay Shirky's book Here Comes Everybody shows us how
      close a community we have become, and how communities that appear separate
      in fact have overlapping members, and that human nature in aggregate tends
      toward decency and ultimately just resolution of conflicts. What prevents
      just resolution is isolating factors; e.g. engrained institutional ones.
      The Internet counteracts that.

      In Andreas's example, in the case of EVO, and in Shirky's example of the
      theft dealt with through social networking, it is increasingly difficult for
      individuals to spark a conflict in one community without risking attention
      and analysis in the wider overlapping networks, of which the individual is
      also a part.

      Shirky showed how a social network encompassing the many boroughs of New
      York City were able to out an individual who would normally have slipped off
      with her booty under the radar, eventually resulting in an arrest. The
      other two examples have not got that far, and I'm not suggesting gaming the
      system, but I think that resolution of such conflicts resides in the wider
      community, and victims should take heart in the fact that this is the
      tendency.

      In China there is the Human Flesh Search Engine, which identifies people who
      try to hide out in the teeming crowd; for example, a lady who was videoed
      exterminating a cat with her stilleto high heels was traced to the hospital
      where she was a nurse, and was exposed and lost her job. I received a phone
      call once from a policeman in Ohio who had tracked the IP address of a
      threatening email (sent from a nondescript Hotmail account) back to the UAE,
      and had made the connection that someone in conflict with the recipient of
      the threat had recently moved here (and the perpetrator then had to deal
      with criminal charges in Ohio, as well as compromised respect in the
      workplace).

      Sometimes it's best to leave things alone and let the community resolve the
      issue. I don't fully understand the situation that Andreas mentioned but as
      has been suggested in email responses, there are also tools in case
      intervention is needed. We all need to be aware how difficult it is to
      maintain anonymity in our increasingly connected world and self-regulate our
      behavior accordingly.