Where to start?

  • eslteachkh
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 24, 2010
      I teach mostly grammar and reading/writing in a community college and want to incorporate more technology - currently I use it very little. I use NPR online and YouTube videos as the basis of short conversations and writing but want to try "real" technology. Few of my students use Blackberries or Iphones and not that many are into texting. Where/How can I start gently incorporating more interactive technology into my classrooms without overwhelming myself or them? I agree with the premise that I need to believe in what I'm doing (I'm speaking specifically of technology) in order to transmit interest and commitment in my students.

      Is anybody willing to give very specific suggestions on how a neophyte can move forward? Thanks in advance.

      Kevin
    • lordonezv@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 24, 2010
        I started with a yahoogroup for assignmets and links
        Este mensaje ha sido enviado gracias al servicio BlackBerry de Movilnet

        I teach mostly grammar and reading/writing in a community college and want to incorporate more technology - currently I use it very little. I use NPR online and YouTube videos as the basis of short conversations and writing but want to try "real" technology. Few of my students use Blackberries or Iphones and not that many are into texting. Where/How can I start gently incorporating more interactive technology into my classrooms without overwhelming myself or them? I agree with the premise that I need to believe in what I'm doing (I'm speaking specifically of technology) in order to transmit interest and commitment in my students.

        Is anybody willing to give very specific suggestions on how a neophyte can move forward? Thanks in advance.

        Kevin

      • Squires, Robert
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 24, 2010
          Kevin,

          I would start with having your students complete writing activities on blogs: http://www.blogger.com You can have them peer critique using a rubric you devise. Blogs are also a great way to bring into play a number of other tools that can help reading and writing. They can serve as a kind of portfolio where a range of additional writing-tech activities can be explored. Adding images and videos are great prompts for writing or can provide a focal element to the work. Most Web 2.0 applications will allow you to embed the finished product in the blog. Here's a few suggestions that might be interesting for writing (depending on your focus: Solvr, Study Stack, Dvolver. A wiki such as pbworks would work well for collaborative writing assignments, so would Google Docs.

          Hope this helps,

          Robert

          I teach mostly grammar and reading/writing in a community college and want to incorporate more technology - currently I use it very little. I use NPR online and YouTube videos as the basis of short conversations and writing but want to try "real" technology. Few of my students use Blackberries or Iphones and not that many are into texting. Where/How can I start gently incorporating more interactive technology into my classrooms without overwhelming myself or them? I agree with the premise that I need to believe in what I'm doing (I'm speaking specifically of technology) in order to transmit interest and commitment in my students.

          Is anybody willing to give very specific suggestions on how a neophyte can move forward? Thanks in advance.

          Kevin

        • Evelyn Izquierdo
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 24, 2010
            Dear Kevin,

            I would start with a Yahoo Group, a blog on Blogger, Flickr  for compositions, or a writing tool like Penzu. I would also use a wiki for the course syllabus and collaborative projects. Look at this wiki, you might get some ideas from it. It was created by my undergraduate students in 2008. http://annualcourse2007-2008.wetpaint.com/ They were beginners and with low tech skills.

            I wish you a lot of success.

            Evelyn Izquierdo
            Escuela de Educación
            Universidad Central de Venezuela
            http://evelynizquierdo.wordpress.com/
            http://beyondtheenglishclassroomwalls.blogspot.com/

            I teach mostly grammar and reading/writing in a community college and want to incorporate more technology - currently I use it very little. I use NPR online and YouTube videos as the basis of short conversations and writing but want to try "real" technology. Few of my students use Blackberries or Iphones and not that many are into texting. Where/How can I start gently incorporating more interactive technology into my classrooms without overwhelming myself or them? I agree with the premise that I need to believe in what I'm doing (I'm speaking specifically of technology) in order to transmit interest and commitment in my students.

            Is anybody willing to give very specific suggestions on how a neophyte can move forward? Thanks in advance.

            Kevin

          • Susana Canelo
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 24, 2010
              Dear Kevin:
              I'd start with a blog in Blogger. It's very easy to use.You can upload videos, images, or embed them , add links etc.Your activities can be given there. Try to put games or challenging activities, I mean CRITICAL THINKING, depending on the group.
              My class blog is:http://endelvallesi.blogspot.com
              Activities for different levels. Your students can leave their homework in COMMENTS.
              A huge hug.Susana.

              De: eslteachkh <eslteachkh@yahoo. com>

              A: evonline2002_ webheads@ yahoogroups. com

              Fecha: miércoles, 24 de marzo de 2010, 08:16 am

              I teach mostly grammar and reading/writing in a community college and want to incorporate more technology - currently I use it very little. I use NPR online and YouTube videos as the basis of short conversations and writing but want to try "real" technology. Few of my students use Blackberries or Iphones and not that many are into texting. Where/How can I start gently incorporating more interactive technology into my classrooms without overwhelming myself or them? I agree with the premise that I need to believe in what I'm doing (I'm speaking specifically of technology) in order to transmit interest and commitment in my students.

              Is anybody willing to give very specific suggestions on how a neophyte can move forward? Thanks in advance.

              Kevin

              ¡Obtén la mejor experiencia en la web!

              http://downloads. yahoo.com/ ieak8/?l= e1

              Yahoo! Cocina

              http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

            • eslteachkh
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
                Thanks everybody. I'm going to explore these options. I just signed up for Twitter last night as a way to get connected more immediately to ideas and articles - and to network. I also signed up for Moodle thought I don't know yet what I would do with it. I'm going to see how I can incorporate a blog and/or wiki into some of my classes.

                Thanks again,
                Kevin

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "eslteachkh" <eslteachkh@...> wrote:

                > I teach mostly grammar and reading/writing in a community college and want to incorporate more technology - currently I use it very little. I use NPR online and YouTube videos as the basis of short conversations and writing but want to try "real" technology. Few of my students use Blackberries or Iphones and not that many are into texting. Where/How can I start gently incorporating more interactive technology into my classrooms without overwhelming myself or them? I agree with the premise that I need to believe in what I'm doing (I'm speaking specifically of technology) in order to transmit interest and commitment in my students.
                >
                > Is anybody willing to give very specific suggestions on how a neophyte can move forward? Thanks in advance.
                >
                > Kevin

              • Elizabeth
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 20, 2010
                  I agree with Evelyn, Kevin--

                  The first step is to get them used to using something like Yahoo Groups, where they can communicate and put up pictures.

                  I didn't like Penzu at first, but it is useful because only people you specifically share with through an email can see it, so it is very secure for students. But I'd suggest using a wiki for assignments/syllabus, and then give them pages to write on, too.

                  The blogs might be harder to get them into, unless you have one communal blog and use it more like a bulletin board. Later, as your students get more technologically sophisticated, you can show them how to use a blog aggregator and follow each other.

                  Slideshare and any of the video/voice sites, like VoiceThread and VoxoPop would get students really interested in using the technology.

                  Good luck, and let us know how your first projects work out!
                  --Elizabeth HS