list moderation

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2010
      I agree with Robert on the topic Dennis raised, but on the mention of list
      moderation, I don't mean to intrude on how others manage their lists, but in
      so far as Webheads can be seen as a successful model, here is how we do it.
      On Webheads, list traffic has never been moderated and has been going for
      ten years with only minor hiccups. Occasionally we'll get spam mails but
      the perpetrators are weeded out much more easily than the trouble of
      moderating each message, resulting in greater immediacy, important in list
      interaction, and the professionals who interact over the webheads list have
      historically been polite and deferential to one another, completely without
      moderation.

      Requests to join ARE moderated (and there is an automatic rejection msg that
      suggests if you are turned down perhaps you need to try again with a note
      indicating you are human, something other than "join me", a common msg from
      robots).

      Also, webheads messages are public. That is, if you visit
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads/ you will see that there
      is a hyperlink to messages whether you are logged on or not; whereas at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learningwithcomputers/ messages is hyperlinked
      only if you are logged in to Yahoo and enrolled in that group. There are
      two advantages to making messages public. First, each message then has a
      URL which can be shared, on Twitter for example. But most importantly, this
      allows the list to generate an RSS feed which means that its traffic can be
      followed in an RSS reader. This is only done when moderators have made
      messages public, which also means that ANYone can read them, but that should
      not be a problem on a list whose purpose is the sharing of information (at
      least, has never been a problem on Webheads).

      I'm sure good arguments could be made for moderating lists, if the list
      might reflect on a workplace or contain proprietary information for example.
      And both lists have been hugely successful in what they have set out to do.
      My intent here is simply to explain how webheads does it, in case this
      information is helpful.