Skype alternatives for voice in 1:1 distance teaching

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2010
      I have a learner (1:1) in Second Life with whom it is often necessary to
      switch to Skype, because his PC is not up to dealing with voice in SL.

      Can members of this list recommend any other free platforms, programs, that
      use voice - with or without video?

      I'd simply like to explore what is available, especially if list members
      have had personal experience of using what they recommend.

      Thanks in advance,

      Dennis aka Osnacantab in SL

      --
      Dennis Newson, retired,
      Formerly: University of Osnabrück.

    • Iwona Gniadek
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2010
        Hi Denis,

        I recommend WiZiQ. It's a great place for teachers and learners to have their online classes for free, if you don't need recordings.

        <www.wiziq.com>

        Greetings,
        iwona

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 4, 2010
          Iwonaq,

          Thanks for that reminder of Wi'ZiQ. I looked in on it about two years ago,
          but have not been back since.-

          Dennis

          On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Iwona Gniadek <igniadek@...> wrote:

          > Hi Denis,
          >
          > I recommend WiZiQ. It's a great place for teachers and learners to have
          > their online classes for free, if you don't need recordings.
          >
          > <www.wiziq.com>
          >
          > Greetings,
          > iwona
          >

          > ________________________________

        • nouredine laouni
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
            hello the group , i hope you are all well .i'm loking for some resources on online crimes.can anyone please help help me find some resources on this issue.
            best regards
            nour_eddine
            Morocco.

          • Maria Victoria Saumell
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
              Dear Dennis,

              I do agree with Iwona about WiZiQ, and it does allow recordings.

              I had problems with the Moodle chat last year with my Master's students and
              switched to Skype. However I was not very satisfied and have decided to go
              for WiZiQ this year!

              It allows many more possibilities thans voice...

              Best,
              Vicky S

              --
              Vicky Saumell
              Dip (TM)TESOL

            • Dennis Newson
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
                Vicky,

                Thanks very much indeed for that vote for WiZiQ. I shall definitely try it
                out with my student from Manila. We used Skype today, but the quality was
                rather poor.

                Dennis

              • ronald_g2001
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 15, 2010
                  Dennis,

                  Userplane <http://www.userplane.com/directory> could be a viable
                  alternative: no downloads, no accounts required (other than for the
                  creator), choice of text/audio/video chat.

                  Another even easier option could be Scribblar
                  <http://www.scribblar.com/> : no downloads, no accounts required (other
                  than for the creator), choice of text/audio chat + a shared whiteboard.

                  Ron Gest

                • mbarek akaddar
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 15, 2010
                    Dennis ,

                    http://openstudy.com/ sounds having necessary features of a virtual classroom with audio and video .Or http://vyew.com/site/ , a virtual classroom audio , video and shared whiteboard

                    RegardsMbarek

                    http://allsharing.ning.com/

                    To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 15, 2010
                      Thank YOU so much for sharing,Mbarak.
                      I am creating a room there for my 100 students to use.
                      Looking forward to meeting your students there too.
                      Yaodong

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 15, 2010
                        Ron and Mbarek,

                        Thank you so much for sharing those alternatives to Skype for 1:1 teaching
                        online. I shall look at them immediately.

                        Dennis

                      • c chee
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 16, 2010
                          does the voice room have multiple video cam

                          Listen to the quiet thunder and remember.
                          Peace starts with communication.

                          Chee,   www.realteachers.org  www.voicelearning.com
                          email: bchee@...

                          ____________ _________ _________ __

                          From: gestr@sbcglobal. net

                          Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:36:41 +0000

                          Dennis,

                          Userplane <http://www.userplan e.com/directory> could be a viable

                          alternative: no downloads, no accounts required (other than for the

                          creator), choice of text/audio/video chat.

                          Another even easier option could be Scribblar

                          <http://www.scribbla r.com/> : no downloads, no accounts required (other

                          than for the creator), choice of text/audio chat + a shared whiteboard.

                          Ron Gest

                          Votre messagerie et bien plus où que vous soyez. Passez à Windows Live Hotmail, c'est gratuit !

                          https://signup. live.com/ signup.aspx? id=60969

                        • mbarek akaddar
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 16, 2010
                            Hi Yaodong ,
                            Glad that the links were useful toyou .Thank you for having room for us . Where did you create a room ? vyew or openstudy ?

                            Mbarek

                            http://allsharing.ning.com/

                            To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 14, 2010
                              http://www.tokbox.com/view/about
                              Free video chat and video mail to anyone in the world without downloads or
                              hassles. Video call your AIM, MSN, GMail and Yahoo buddies.