{Disarmed} RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Flickr

  • Natasha Jovanovich
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
      In fact the best photos I ve found for the purposes I need them for are
      those on UN websites
      :( but I ll try and see who to ask about that permission
      Natasha

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
        If there is no license specified then it's automatically full copyright
        (even when the *© *sign is not there).
        Warm regards,
        Bee

        --
        Barbara Dieu
        http://barbaradieu.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
          Hi,

          This is an interesting discussion and a topic I broached in my slide show at
          my recent AVEALMEC / ARCALL presentation

          http://www.slideshare.net/vances/modeling-social-media-in-groups-communities-and-networks-socialnetworking-2009-online-conference

          To illustrate the point, the images there are all creative commons (or my
          own) and attributed. Some of the links will lead you to repositories of
          creative commons images.

          One source for CC art is to use Google's Image Search, advanced, and pull
          down not filtered for license to expose the other choices, which become
          clear when you examine the various creative commons licenses.

          Best,

          > Like Mike and Nic mentioned, you can't assume the images on Flickr (and
          > for
          > that matter on Google or elsewhere online) are free to use.
          >
          > Here you will find a good explanation of what the Creative Commons
          > Licenses
          > mean, how you can use them for your own production and other
          > people's material online.
          > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
          > and some illustrative videos, which can be used with students as well
          > http://creativecommons.org/videos/
          >
          > The same licences apply to text, music, videos and any multimedia
          > productions.
          >
          > A nice place to find photographs under a creative commons license is Peter
          > Shank's Flickr CC filter.
          > http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/
          > Just use a keyword and browse through . For more explanations, check
          > http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/about.html
          >

          > Warm regards from Brazil,
          > Bee
          >

          > --
          > Barbara Dieu
          > http://barbaradieu.com
          > http://beespace.net

        • Michael Coghlan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
            At 05:30 AM 4/01/2010, you wrote:

            >Thanks, Nik and thanks Michael earlier on
            >
            >I am unsure as to why on Earth I did assume that Flickr is copyleft. Thanks!
            >
            >Yes, I would have asked for permission but was not sure who to ask on
            >Flickr?

            If you go to the Profile of the person whose image you want to use
            there is a little mail symbol that you can use to write them via Flickr mail.

            - Michael.