{Disarmed} RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Flickr

  • Natasha Jovanovich
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
      Bee

      thanks! This is much appreciated!

      Natasha

      _____

      From: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Barbara Dieu
      Sent: 3. januar 2010 21:45
      To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Flickr

      Natasha,

      Like Mike and Nic mentioned, you can't assume the images on Flickr (and for
      that matter on Google or elsewhere online) are free to use.

      Here you will find a good explanation of what the Creative Commons Licenses
      mean, how you can use them for your own production and other
      people's material online.
      http://creativecomm <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/> ons.org/licenses/
      and some illustrative videos, which can be used with students as well
      http://creativecomm <http://creativecommons.org/videos/> ons.org/videos/

      The same licences apply to text, music, videos and any multimedia
      productions.

      A nice place to find photographs under a creative commons license is Peter
      Shank's Flickr CC filter.
      http://flickrcc. <http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/> bluemountains.net/
      Just use a keyword and browse through . For more explanations, check
      http://flickrcc. <http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/about.html>
      bluemountains.net/about.html

      Warm regards from Brazil,
      Bee

      --
      Barbara Dieu
      http://barbaradieu. <http://barbaradieu.com> com

    • Natasha Jovanovich
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
        In fact the best photos I ve found for the purposes I need them for are
        those on UN websites
        :( but I ll try and see who to ask about that permission
        Natasha

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
          If there is no license specified then it's automatically full copyright
          (even when the *© *sign is not there).
          Warm regards,
          Bee

          --
          Barbara Dieu
          http://barbaradieu.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
            Hi,

            This is an interesting discussion and a topic I broached in my slide show at
            my recent AVEALMEC / ARCALL presentation

            http://www.slideshare.net/vances/modeling-social-media-in-groups-communities-and-networks-socialnetworking-2009-online-conference

            To illustrate the point, the images there are all creative commons (or my
            own) and attributed. Some of the links will lead you to repositories of
            creative commons images.

            One source for CC art is to use Google's Image Search, advanced, and pull
            down not filtered for license to expose the other choices, which become
            clear when you examine the various creative commons licenses.

            Best,

            > Like Mike and Nic mentioned, you can't assume the images on Flickr (and
            > for
            > that matter on Google or elsewhere online) are free to use.
            >
            > Here you will find a good explanation of what the Creative Commons
            > Licenses
            > mean, how you can use them for your own production and other
            > people's material online.
            > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
            > and some illustrative videos, which can be used with students as well
            > http://creativecommons.org/videos/
            >
            > The same licences apply to text, music, videos and any multimedia
            > productions.
            >
            > A nice place to find photographs under a creative commons license is Peter
            > Shank's Flickr CC filter.
            > http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/
            > Just use a keyword and browse through . For more explanations, check
            > http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/about.html
            >

            > Warm regards from Brazil,
            > Bee
            >

            > --
            > Barbara Dieu
            > http://barbaradieu.com
            > http://beespace.net

          • Michael Coghlan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
              At 05:30 AM 4/01/2010, you wrote:

              >Thanks, Nik and thanks Michael earlier on
              >
              >I am unsure as to why on Earth I did assume that Flickr is copyleft. Thanks!
              >
              >Yes, I would have asked for permission but was not sure who to ask on
              >Flickr?

              If you go to the Profile of the person whose image you want to use
              there is a little mail symbol that you can use to write them via Flickr mail.

              - Michael.