Flickr

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
      Hi Natasha

      you can't assume Flickr images are free to use. You should only use ones that are within the creative commons license area
      http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/
      unless you ask for permsssion and you should always acknowledge the source.

      best

      Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer
      Teacher Development: http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
      News and Tips: http://quickshout.blogspot.com/
      Student Activities: http://daily-english-activities.blogspot.com/
      On Social media: http://bloggingandsocialmedia.blogspot.com/
      On Twitter: http://twitter.com/NikPeachey
    • Natasha Jovanovich
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
        Thanks, Nik and thanks Michael earlier on

        I am unsure as to why on Earth I did assume that Flickr is copyleft. Thanks!

        Yes, I would have asked for permission but was not sure who to ask on
        Flickr?
        I just love using photos in ELT but you cannot be too sure these days with
        copyright

        Natasha

        _____

        http://www.flickr. <http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/>
        com/creativecommons/
        unless you ask for permsssion and you should always acknowledge the source.

        best

        Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer
        Teacher Development: http://nikpeachey. <http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/>
        blogspot.com/
        News and Tips: http://quickshout. <http://quickshout.blogspot.com/>
        blogspot.com/
        Student Activities: http://daily-
        <http://daily-english-activities.blogspot.com/>
        english-activities.blogspot.com/
        On Social media: http://bloggingands
        <http://bloggingandsocialmedia.blogspot.com/> ocialmedia.blogspot.com/
        On Twitter: http://twitter. <http://twitter.com/NikPeachey> com/NikPeachey

      • Barbara Dieu
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
          Natasha,

          Like Mike and Nic mentioned, you can't assume the images on Flickr (and for
          that matter on Google or elsewhere online) are free to use.

          Here you will find a good explanation of what the Creative Commons Licenses
          mean, how you can use them for your own production and other
          people's material online.
          http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
          and some illustrative videos, which can be used with students as well
          http://creativecommons.org/videos/

          The same licences apply to text, music, videos and any multimedia
          productions.

          A nice place to find photographs under a creative commons license is Peter
          Shank's Flickr CC filter.
          http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/
          Just use a keyword and browse through . For more explanations, check
          http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/about.html

          Warm regards from Brazil,
          Bee

          --
          Barbara Dieu
          http://barbaradieu.com

        • Natasha Jovanovich
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
            Bee

            thanks! This is much appreciated!

            Natasha

            _____

            Like Mike and Nic mentioned, you can't assume the images on Flickr (and for
            that matter on Google or elsewhere online) are free to use.

            Here you will find a good explanation of what the Creative Commons Licenses
            mean, how you can use them for your own production and other
            people's material online.
            http://creativecomm <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/> ons.org/licenses/
            and some illustrative videos, which can be used with students as well
            http://creativecomm <http://creativecommons.org/videos/> ons.org/videos/

            The same licences apply to text, music, videos and any multimedia
            productions.

            A nice place to find photographs under a creative commons license is Peter
            Shank's Flickr CC filter.
            http://flickrcc. <http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/> bluemountains.net/
            Just use a keyword and browse through . For more explanations, check
            http://flickrcc. <http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/about.html>
            bluemountains.net/about.html

            Warm regards from Brazil,
            Bee

            --
            Barbara Dieu
            http://barbaradieu. <http://barbaradieu.com> com
            http://beespace. <http://beespace.net> net

          • Natasha Jovanovich
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
              In fact the best photos I ve found for the purposes I need them for are
              those on UN websites
              :( but I ll try and see who to ask about that permission
              Natasha

              _____

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
                If there is no license specified then it's automatically full copyright
                (even when the *© *sign is not there).
                Warm regards,
                Bee

                --
                Barbara Dieu
                http://barbaradieu.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
                  Hi,

                  This is an interesting discussion and a topic I broached in my slide show at
                  my recent AVEALMEC / ARCALL presentation

                  http://www.slideshare.net/vances/modeling-social-media-in-groups-communities-and-networks-socialnetworking-2009-online-conference

                  To illustrate the point, the images there are all creative commons (or my
                  own) and attributed. Some of the links will lead you to repositories of
                  creative commons images.

                  One source for CC art is to use Google's Image Search, advanced, and pull
                  down not filtered for license to expose the other choices, which become
                  clear when you examine the various creative commons licenses.

                  Best,

                  > Like Mike and Nic mentioned, you can't assume the images on Flickr (and
                  > for
                  > that matter on Google or elsewhere online) are free to use.
                  >
                  > Here you will find a good explanation of what the Creative Commons
                  > Licenses
                  > mean, how you can use them for your own production and other
                  > people's material online.
                  > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
                  > and some illustrative videos, which can be used with students as well
                  > http://creativecommons.org/videos/
                  >
                  > The same licences apply to text, music, videos and any multimedia
                  > productions.
                  >
                  > A nice place to find photographs under a creative commons license is Peter
                  > Shank's Flickr CC filter.
                  > http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/
                  > Just use a keyword and browse through . For more explanations, check
                  > http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/about.html
                  >

                  > Warm regards from Brazil,
                  > Bee
                  >

                  > --
                  > Barbara Dieu
                  > http://barbaradieu.com
                  > http://beespace.net

                • Michael Coghlan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
                    At 05:30 AM 4/01/2010, you wrote:

                    >Thanks, Nik and thanks Michael earlier on
                    >
                    >I am unsure as to why on Earth I did assume that Flickr is copyleft. Thanks!
                    >
                    >Yes, I would have asked for permission but was not sure who to ask on
                    >Flickr?

                    If you go to the Profile of the person whose image you want to use
                    there is a little mail symbol that you can use to write them via Flickr mail.

                    - Michael.