Writing and Pedagogy, call for brief article on Plagiarism

  • Natasha Jovanovich
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
      Dear Vance

      I met a young woman who was a conference speaker in Cardiff IATEFL conf
      Her work in most part is related to the issue of plagiarism. She works in UK
      at university level.
      Luckily, we even met in the same b&b accommodation we stayed in in Cardiff.

      Would you like her contact?

      Regards
      Natasha

    • sharon
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
        Hello Bee and Everyone,

        Thanks for posting the plagiarism resources Bee.

        OWL provides in-depth information about citing formats in MLA and APA. http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/10/

        The OWL website also has a large section of resources for ESL learners, which is accessible from the right sidebar.

        In the past three years I have noticed a difference in the demographics of the students in the English Communication and Philosophy classes that I teach on ground and online.

        The number of non-native English speakers has increased to the point where they represent a significant (sometimes over 50%) number in the classes.

        One of the challenges that I have experienced is increased plagiarism among both native and non-native speakers. I have a plagiarism checker on my computer and also have access to checkers in the online writing centers at the universities where I teach.

        I've found that is a student isn't acculturated, there can be considerable resistance to the concept of plagiarism. The paper trail and the time involved in the process of dealing with plagiarism is an ongoing headache.

        I'm curious to know if others have experienced the same situations and what seems to be effective for non-native speakers in this area.

        Thanks!

        Sharon
        Boston

        > There is a paper which refers to some tools students use and teachers should
        > be aware of and other tools teachers may want to check for plagiarism
        > http://www.citejournal.org/vol1/iss4/currentpractice/article2.htm
        >
        > There are also references you can check.
        > Plagiarism.org also gives you quite a number of guidelines and solutions.
        > *http://www.plagiarism.org/plag_solutions.html*
        > <http://www.plagiarism.org/>
        > Warm regards from Brazil,
        > Bee
        >
        > --
        > Barbara Dieu
        > http://barbaradieu.com
        > http://beespace.net

      • sharon
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
          Hello Everyone,

          I clicked on "send" too soon.

          Yahoo Answers appears to be a place where some students find essay materials and responses to online Discussion Questions.

          Thanks again.

          Sharon
          Boston