Writing and Pedagogy, call for brief article on Plagiarism

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
      Hi everyone,

      For those who don't know, among my many hats I have a little beanie here
      marked E-Sphere Editor of the new journal Writing & Pedagogy (Equinox)
      http://www.equinoxjournals.com/ojs/index.php/wap

      One of the issues later in the year is on plagiarism, and the editor has
      asked me put together a review of what tools there are online for combatting
      (or supporting??) plagiarism. If I were to write this I would go onto
      Google and Twitter and Blogsearch and find what I could and piece together a
      short article.

      Alternatively, I could find someone who knew more about the topic than I do
      and get them to (or give them the opportunity to) write it.

      One caveat is that it has to be ready in February.

      If you would be interested in writing an article on the impact of or issues
      surrounding Internet on plagiarism, please let me know offlist, on
      vancestev@...

      cheers,
      Vance
    • Natasha Jovanovich
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
        Dear Vance

        I met a young woman who was a conference speaker in Cardiff IATEFL conf
        Her work in most part is related to the issue of plagiarism. She works in UK
        at university level.
        Luckily, we even met in the same b&b accommodation we stayed in in Cardiff.

        Would you like her contact?

        Regards
        Natasha

        _____

        http://www.equinoxj <http://www.equinoxjournals.com/ojs/index.php/wap>
        ournals.com/ojs/index.php/wap

        One of the issues later in the year is on plagiarism, and the editor has
        asked me put together a review of what tools there are online for combatting

        (or supporting??) plagiarism. If I were to write this I would go onto
        Google and Twitter and Blogsearch and find what I could and piece together a

        short article.

        Alternatively, I could find someone who knew more about the topic than I do
        and get them to (or give them the opportunity to) write it.

        One caveat is that it has to be ready in February.

        If you would be interested in writing an article on the impact of or issues
        surrounding Internet on plagiarism, please let me know offlist, on
        vancestev@gmail. <mailto:vancestev%40gmail.com> com

        cheers,

      • Natasha Jovanovich

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
            There is a paper which refers to some tools students use and teachers should
            be aware of and other tools teachers may want to check for plagiarism
            http://www.citejournal.org/vol1/iss4/currentpractice/article2.htm

            There are also references you can check.
            Plagiarism.org also gives you quite a number of guidelines and solutions.
            *http://www.plagiarism.org/plag_solutions.html*
            <http://www.plagiarism.org/>
            Warm regards from Brazil,
            Bee

            --
            Barbara Dieu
            http://barbaradieu.com

          • sharon
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
              Hello Bee and Everyone,

              Thanks for posting the plagiarism resources Bee.

              OWL provides in-depth information about citing formats in MLA and APA. http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/10/

              The OWL website also has a large section of resources for ESL learners, which is accessible from the right sidebar.

              In the past three years I have noticed a difference in the demographics of the students in the English Communication and Philosophy classes that I teach on ground and online.

              The number of non-native English speakers has increased to the point where they represent a significant (sometimes over 50%) number in the classes.

              One of the challenges that I have experienced is increased plagiarism among both native and non-native speakers. I have a plagiarism checker on my computer and also have access to checkers in the online writing centers at the universities where I teach.

              I've found that is a student isn't acculturated, there can be considerable resistance to the concept of plagiarism. The paper trail and the time involved in the process of dealing with plagiarism is an ongoing headache.

              I'm curious to know if others have experienced the same situations and what seems to be effective for non-native speakers in this area.

              Thanks!

              Sharon
              Boston

              > There is a paper which refers to some tools students use and teachers should
              > be aware of and other tools teachers may want to check for plagiarism
              > http://www.citejournal.org/vol1/iss4/currentpractice/article2.htm
              >
              > There are also references you can check.
              > Plagiarism.org also gives you quite a number of guidelines and solutions.
              > *http://www.plagiarism.org/plag_solutions.html*
              > <http://www.plagiarism.org/>
              > Warm regards from Brazil,
              > Bee
              >
              > --
              > Barbara Dieu
              > http://barbaradieu.com
              > http://beespace.net

            • sharon
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
                Hello Everyone,

                I clicked on "send" too soon.

                Yahoo Answers appears to be a place where some students find essay materials and responses to online Discussion Questions.

                Thanks again.

                Sharon
                Boston